iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Yankee Yarder

Started by Mark M, January 17, 2003, 10:45:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark M

I am trying to find out more info about the Yankee Yarder. I have the Sawmill and Woodlot Management magazine where it is described but several details are lacking and the pictures don't show it very well. I would like to build the double drum model but don't have a picture.

If someone has built this or a similar device I would sure appreciate any info you can provide and would like to see some pictures. Also I would like to have some idea as to the pulling capacity. I thought I would use a Honda 5.5 hp with 6:1 gear ratio.

Thanks

Mark

dail_h

Sounds kinda like our BIG STICK PULPWOOD loaders .Sure hope someone comes up with some pic or info.
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Mark M

Hi Dail

It is a little skid-mounted winch with a small gas engine. Pretty simple looking but looks like it would work for dragging logs to where I can get at them with my sawmill. I don't have any equipment for moving logs.

Here is a diagram that shows how it is made. I am not sure of the motor's gear ratio but am thinking probably 6:1 since that is what most of the small engines have.

The second picture shows a modified version with a second drum used as a haulback. I think this is connected directly by belt instead of going through another reduction. If I had a better picture of this it would help as this is the version I would like to build.

I am probably going to go ahead an build it with the info I have but it would be nice to know how much this thing will pull.

Thanks

Mark

Stephen

MarkM,
You must first determine what your line speed will be. (adjust numbers where necessary and anyone please correct me where I am wrong) example: engine rpm=3600 divide by 6 for output shaft speed(6:1 gear box)=600rpm X first (drive) pully size (2in) divide by next (driven) pully (6in) X sprocket teeth (10) divide by next sproket (30 teeth)=67rpm X circumference of cable drum (8in) = 533 feet per minute.
Since 1hp=550fps, you could pull 60lbs 550 feet in 1minute, or 60 X 550/533(your speed)= 62lbs pull X 8hp(your engine)= 495 lbs pull.
Sounds way too fast, and each winding of cable will be faster with less pull.
Back to the drawing board!
If you use different pullys and gears and drum size to reduce your speed by 1/4, you will 4 times your pull. ie 1980lbs at 133 feet per minute or 2 feet/second.

Think about a farm tractor winch: 40hp will pull about 8,000lbs. You have 8hp (1/5), therefore, at the same line speed you will also pull 1/5 of the load, or 1600lbs. How fast is a tractor winch at 540rpm? (2 feet/second?) Anyone know?

Keep me posted about this winch, I have had plans for one for about 10 years but been scared to try it out.

Stephen
1994 WoodMizer LT40G18. 69 acres mixed wood. 1952 ford tractor, Norse 290 winch, studed Norse ice chains. 45-66DT Fiat.

Bro. Noble

We bought an old 20,000 # Tulsa winch and made it into a 3pt, pto driven skidding winch.  I would guess that 2 ft per second would be about what it does with the tractor at pto speed.  We normally just let the tractor idle------if the log hung on something with the tractor wide open,  something's gonna bust. :o

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Mark M

Thanks Stephen, I am hoping to get around 100 ft a minute. Your calculations are pretty close to mine.

Mark

Thank You Sponsors!