iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

building a new home

Started by hillbilly, September 15, 2005, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hillbilly

We have recently decided to move a little closer to town to make things a little handier on my wife and my self .We are trying to come bine a timber frame home w/stud framing, most of the material we will cut ourselfs.
Has any one built anything like this ,I dont have any pics of the home that we live in now I built the home 5 years ago this fall it has a 7,12 pitch roof w/2 bedrooms up stairs w/adormer in each room w/a ranch style porch around the front we would like to build something simalar but im not sure how to timber frame the ranch style porch? any one have some advice Jim do you have any simple timber frame planes or know where that I could purchase some at that would be something simalar to what that I have discribed .
Hillbilly

Jim_Rogers

Hillbilly:
I don't have any standard timber frame plans. Everything I do is custom designed for the customer.

In your design you've mentioned combining stud framing with timber frame. There are two ways to do this.
One is to build your timber frame and then cover the outside of the frame with a stud wall so that you can insulate and hold your windows and doors.
The other way is to use the stud walls as infill, inside or under your frame. You'll have to be very careful doing it this way as you'll need to plan on shrinkage and compensate for it in your stud wall heights.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Don P

You can also use timber trusses or beams in the roof system or in parts of the roof and stick frame elsewhere to give maybe a living or dining room some eye appeal. It does take looking at the load paths but is often done.

hillbilly

Ive been gone for a little while working but Im back w/lots of new questions for those of you who have endless knowledge of timber frameing  ;)don't be shy I could sure use some info here and there.
    I would like to biuld the whole house as atimber frame ,but limited time will only let me do so much ,that and time IS MONEY now days.Ive been looking in different forums and across the net looking for more pics of timber frames for ideas to work with or to just get a better idea of what to do I would like to do as DON P mentioned above and have some timber framed trusses and beams built into the dinning room and great room area,that part I dont think will be all that hard ,but what Im concerned w/is how do you finish it out w/out covering it up I dont think that Ican afford SIPS I thought about laying more rafters on top of the purlinns and priciple trusses.the same goes for the out side walls ,any ideas or referecnes of places to look at how other people have accomplished this would be greatley appreciated,Ive read JACK SOBONS books and some of Steve Chapelles they have alot of great stuff in them but I just need more.
                       thanks HILLBILLY           

Don P

Hey Hillbilly,
my Dad used heavy decking on top of his post and beam rafters and laid foam on top of that.
You can then use 2x4 strapping on 2' centers and then ply, tarpaper and shingles. To put 5" of foam up there would run about $1/sq ft locally.
If you look up Deck House or Acorn Structures I bet they're still doing it that way. The heavy decking was 2-1/4 thick T&G and we pole barn nailed it down to the rafters, makes my elbow hurt just remembering that  :D. I use those oly screws for anything like that now. Depending on how far apart your rafters or purlins are the decking thickness varies.

If the supports are close enough for some type of decking to handle the span, sips aren't necessary. Depending on species and grade 1-1/2" decking can structurally span as far as 72". The built up is actually a better roof.  On most timberframes the walls are sipped because of the long spans between posts and the roof just goes on quicker to let them sip the whole thing.

Am I remembering right that you're near a big spring?

Greg

Here's one place I know where you can purchase standard timber frame home plans here, for $600. 9 or 10 different models.

http://www.timberframemag.com/Standard_Timber_Frame_Plans.htm

Probably lots of others on the net if you search them out...

Good luck,
Greg

hillbilly

Don and Greg thanks for the info so far ,Don what do you do about ventilation for your roof or attic when you use sips ,or what did you do on your dads roof ,that is a pretty good idea about the 2x6s I had thought a little abuot that my self earlier on.
And no I dont live right next to Bg Springs I sure wish that I did own land up against it ,it wold be worth a small fortune,we live about 12 miles from it and the current river.
                  Greg thanks for the heads up on the site it was a real treat to look through .
hillbilly

Don P

Hillbilly, I thought I remembered that you were in that neighborhood. My wife has family near you, sounds like real near. They're on the river upstream of town. We were there over Thanksgiving. Hope you don't mind if I look you up sometime when we're there.

Sips are unvented, yeah that doesn't excite me either. There was a company making some with venting channels in the foam, but I think they went under. I have never used sips before this job and hope these are worse than most, they aren't flat for squat. All edges are "swollen" from the factory. I can see every seam telegraphing thru the metal roof and the wall shingles. I imagine the drywall inside will be the same  :-\. The homeowner hasn't more than casually noticed it and its one of those things that sure doesn't make me comfy. They missed the window sizes on several walls and I had to cut out some areas, I found one void over 4' long and several smaller ones. These were in tougher areas to fill but they had sure blown it, er, not blown it. I wouldn't be happy with it, but everyone has a different thing to be nit-picky about  :) Before using them I'd go visit the plant and see the product first hand.

When Dad first started doing heavy timber roofs the latest hot tip was to lay 2" foil faced polyiso foam on the roof deck and apply shingles directly over that with 3" roofing nails. You got a very good tan shingling those things :D. The shingles failed prematurely and although insulated adequately for the day, that is way skimpy by our standards now. The solution was the built up with more foam, 2x strapping over and then ply, paper and shingles. The sleepers can be run up and down the roof if there are purlins or if the deck is stiff enough. When I've done it over a rafter only frame with a light deck we've stood up 2x edgewise and run those horizontally across the roof every 4' with the foam in between. The 2x's are about 2" deeper than the foam and notches are cut into them for airflow. In that case 5/8 osb runs up and down the roof. Reading that back its about clear as mud, I'll try to find some old pics.

hillbilly

Don your wifes family must live pretty close to what they call WATERCRESS it's a park with boat ramps and some camping spots ,really nice place the valley across the river from this park used to be agrowed up brush thicket about 30 years ago ,boy I sure wish that we wouldve  had enough for sight to se the future and bought up some of that :o
         I think that Iknow what you are trying to discribe ,laying the tg1 1/2 or 2 inch lumber running from the edge to the peak then laying your 2xs on edge at 2' ceter and insulating between then sheating and shingles.could you use batt ins or does the foam you talk about have more R factor?
Sips sound good but they are pretty pricy so I dont think that we will be going that route.

Thank You Sponsors!