No mo shovelin under da edger

Started by 4x4American, November 03, 2017, 08:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Crusarius

need to put a little sheet metal extension so it going into the bin. looks great though.

PAmizerman

That's awesome. Do you like the cooks edger? How has it been working for you?
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

4x4American

Yea it needs some prettyin up and it's not permanent yet, just a proof of concept that I didn't need to build no stinkin chute to guide the sawdust into the conveyors...my theory was that if I just parked them under the edger, the sawdust that didn't make it would become the chute.  This video was from last week I think after we just put them under it.  By now it's got a much better sawdust chute.  I found the conveyors on craigslist for $100 each over in vermont.  It was well worth it, they work great.  Eventually, the sawmill is gonna be sitting right next to the edger, and I'll have a long sawdust conveyor to haul away the sawdust from the sawmill.  The sawdust conveyors from under the edger will feed into that same conveyor for the sawmill and they'll all feed onto my neighbors property so that I don't have to worry about handling sawdust lol.

Either way, I'm tickled pink that I haven't been shoveling sawdust out from under the edger.  It would be a huge problem.  Because not only did it take time and energy, we would usually have to move roller tables out of the way to get the backhoe bucket close enough to the edger to back drag and scoop what I could and then shovel the rest.  Took forever, and we'd usually let the sawdust build up for so long before we'd break the setup down and go clean it up.  We're always running 5/4 boards making pallet stringer stock at 3.5" wide.  When we're running slabs through making 3 sided cants for the resaw then we're really making alot of sawdust.  Sometimes when feeding the edger I'd not take an outside skim cut to help lessen the amount of sawdust I'd have to shovel.  Now I just run it and it fills up the bucket.  Today we edged that pack of popple flitches I posted the other day and it made a little over a cubic yard of sawdust that I didn't have to shovel or trip over.  I'm happy.
Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

Quote from: PAmizerman on November 03, 2017, 09:40:22 PM
That's awesome. Do you like the cooks edger? How has it been working for you?

It's decent..very basic design..not much to it. 
Boy, back in my day..

Percy

Thats great!!! I have a similar setup for my mill and edger. You made out like a bandit on them conveyors smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

moodnacreek

You never told me you needed a sawdust blower. 
Keep up the good work, Doug

4x4American

Hey Doug,

I need a sawdust blower!!! lol

thanks
Boy, back in my day..

moodnacreek

Stop down.  The extra one I have would need 3 to 5 h.p. , do you have 3 phase on site ?

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

moodnacreek

larrydown60

Doug I really like the idea of putting the saw dust in neighbors yard Brilliant Idea LOL do you think they would know where it came from? :D

4x4American

Quote from: larrydown60 on November 07, 2017, 04:58:05 PM
Doug I really like the idea of putting the saw dust in neighbors yard Brilliant Idea LOL do you think they would know where it came from? :D

Well what are neighbors for anyways!!  lol lol

I think they might would have an inkling but it's hard tellin  ;D
Boy, back in my day..

Ga Mtn Man

That's an impressive amount of energy and ingenuity for a man of your advanced years.  smiley_old_guy
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

millcreek40

I have met him!!  He looks like he'll for his age
Two 240A Timberjacks, Mack log truck, Multitek 2040 wood processor.

4x4American

Quote from: millcreek40 on November 08, 2017, 08:06:14 PM
I have met him!!  He looks like he'll for his age

lol lol thanks Rob, I thought I looked great for my age but I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder
Boy, back in my day..

SlowJoeCrow

Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder. (Old saying)

nativewolf

Quote from: SlowJoeCrow on November 10, 2017, 06:39:45 AM
Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder. (Old saying)

And the proof is that so many of our members here have gotten married, if those women had not had so many beers....

there would be more single forestry forum folk (course bargemonkey is the exception to any female related rules)
Liking Walnut

WDH

Looks like that you are getting it DUG out, DUG.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!