iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Eclassic Issues

Started by leeallen, January 15, 2009, 12:56:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leeallen

Hi all - I am new the FF.
I installed my Eclassic in  4/08.
I have had issues (grates in the bottom needing to be removed, brick falling out, bridging), but now that I have moved beyond those and learned how to operate the stove, things seem to be going well. I have a very large heat demand, and I have found I need to set the digital setting at 195 to easily keep my oil boiler temp at 180.

I went underground 250 ft and into a heat exchanger in my basement. I had an issue fronm the get-go with keeping my  oil boiler water up to temp.   Richard Emmons at Mainly Custom here in Maine solved my problem. The circ pump on the exchanger feeding the oil boiler was not big enough and my oil boiler kept firing even with my settings turned down to 140L - 160 H.  He installed a 30 gallon per minute pump and it solved the problem . My oil boiler has not fired for 7 days and the temps here in Maine are hitting 10 below at night.

Hackberry

Welcome to the fourm.  Question?  Why do you need your oil boiler to stay at 180?  My install was 205' into a 70 plate exchanger, my L.P. boiler use to limit out at 195.  I have my e-classic set at 185, it keeps the  L.P. boiler between 160-170.  For about $40.00 we installed a White-Rogers hot water control type 1131.  I have the controler set at 120.  My L.P. boiler will not kick in until the water drops to 120.  The control is installed on the boiler side of the plate exchanger.  These things work great.  My L.P. boiler has not come on since burning the e-classic.  Are you heating air in your house or hot water?  If you are heating hot water I don't think you need to keep it at 180.  Your e-classic must really eat the wood at 190-195.  How many hp is that pump that moves 30 GPM?  Hackberry

leeallen

Thanks for the reply and questions.
1. I keep the oil boiler at 180 because I  am heating  an old farm house with my own  living space plus 2 apartments, plus a 26 x 36 work garage. I find if the water temp drops below 180 in the boiler it has a difficult time keeping all the heated space up to temp. Since I installed the bigger circ pump, I have not dropped the eclassic temp., but plan to do so as soon as my outdoor thermometer gets off the 20 below mark- it is cold here in Maine right now. The oil boiler might keep up if I allow the water to be 170 . I might drop the eclassic setting to 190 and see what happens- if that works then 185- just don't want to do that right now with the outdoor temp. hovering at 20 below.
2. I am not sure about your White Rogers controller, but I installed an aquastat on the return line to my oil boiler from my heat exchanger and set it at 165- my oil boiler never comes on with this arrangement.
3. I am heating hot water.
4. The eclassic is eating wood big time.
5. Not sure  of the HP on the pump, but it is a Grunsfos (sp)

woodmills1

I also need to raise the set on my free heat machine when it is cold like now, -14 last night.  If I don't and I get a cool fire it takes too long to catch back up.  Remember that even when I burn oil the back of my house only gets to 60 and now with wood it is 66-71, so I am chasing (spoiled with warmth).  And a big yes on lotsa wood, 20-30 cords, but that includes a majority of pine, poplar, and willow that I cannot market to anyone.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Thank You Sponsors!