iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Reaction Chamber Fire brick -Eclassic

Started by stumper, March 07, 2009, 09:59:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stumper

While performing my weekly and monthly cleaning today I found that I lost a brick in my reaction chamber.  One was loose since new but today I found 5 loose and one broken and fallen over.  They are only held on by on 4 to 5 inch line of something.

I contacted my dealer about the proper procedure to clean the steel and re-install the brick.  I'll keep you all posted.

antos_ketcham

CB is now shipping the E-Classic without the brick. They are telling everyone with brick to go ahead and take them out. I took all mine out. Less creosote in the firebox now.

Pete

Hackberry

Hang on Antos, Stumper is talking about the reaction chamber not the fire box.  I got a look at a new E-Classic two weeks ago and the only place where the fire brick was missing was in the fire box and only on the sides.  Lets keep this clear!  Hackberry

MudBud

When mine arrive one had fallen out as well. I reinstalled it with a firebox cement that you can buy at Home Depot or local stove company.  Its about $5.00 for a small tub. I have some loose ones now and will take care of them in the spring.

stumper

The Central Boiler Technical support said just stand it up.

antos_ketcham

The name is Pete - not Antos. And yes you are correct I missed that. Brick in reaction chamber good. Brick on walls of Firebox - not so good.

Pete

Quote from: Hackberry on March 07, 2009, 07:52:51 PM

Hang on Antos, Stumper is talking about the reaction chamber not the fire box.  I got a look at a new E-Classic two weeks ago and the only place where the fire brick was missing was in the fire box and only on the sides.  Lets keep this clear!  Hackberry

Hackberry

logwalker

Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

stumper

I did not mention that when I spoke to the Tech. about the sticking by-pass.  To which he replied something like.  Ya that is a problem if you use the by-pass.  and the went on to say that he did not use his.

antos_ketcham

Quote from: logwalker on March 14, 2009, 11:32:21 AM
Quote from: antos_ketcham on March 13, 2009, 08:25:54 PM
The name is Pete - not Antos.

Pete

Well then who is Antos? 

No worries Hackberry. Logwalker - Antos is the first half of last name.

So interesting - the guy at tech support doesn't use his reaction chamber? What is the downside to doing that?

rondojod

Stumper,

Must be a little smoky when the tech opens his door and with my dealings with them at Central Boiler I'm supprised they even admitted to having a problem!! Amazing also that TECH has problems with by pass door and still lives with it instead of working on a cure.

stumper

He also inducated they were thinking of a change to allow for a winter shuut down of the boiler in freezing temperatures, and that he had lost some or all of the fire brick on the walls of his boiler.

rondojod

As far as winter shut down on the boiler, all you have to do is take the fuse out and this will shut off blower and control panel but will still have power going to the circlators. In previous post I had read what Central Boiler's suggestions were and I couldn't believe that there own engineers didn't know this. The plug in back is still hot.  As far as firebox brick my new boiler came through without bricks on the walls in the firebox. If you have read my previous threads you know that this is my second unit.

trebor64

My bricks in the firebox are starting to crack and fall too. There seems to be some insulating stuff behind the bricks (same as on the firebox door) and this seems to be the reason why the bricks are falling. The insulation panel is wavering, (as the one on the firebox door does too!!) and pushes the bricks out. Now, without refitting the bricks in place, the insulation his burning away. Anyone with same observation? If i remove the bricks, all the insulation will burn away..... does tha not matter? Why put it in the first place? -Trebor

beenthere

Is the insulation you speak of, real black?  If so, it may just be creosote build-up that has been mentioned before behind the bricks. When it burns away, you will get some btu's from it.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

trebor64

Geez!!! never thought there could be that much creosote and that solid!!! Thanks beenthere, it is creosote.  Guess the wood I burned this winter was really not top quality. -Trebor

leeallen

The material behind my bricks had a redish tint to it. I assumed it was some kind of glue/silicone that was used to hold the bricks in place.

Thank You Sponsors!