iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wanda's new saw shed

Started by ARKANSAWYER, January 11, 2007, 08:55:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARKANSAWYER

This is the site where the Wanda's new saw shed will sit.

This is rebar drilled into bed rock where the center of the pier will be.

This is the pad and pier form ready to pour.

One down and four to go. 

Just a little tap and it will be good.

First bent up.  KB loaders are good at this.

Second bent up as smooth as the first.

Now the climb to the top, one perlin at a time.

Decking the roof.

Top bents.

Second floor on.

Topped out.

Rolling out the old tarp that we were woring under because we can not afford tin.

Wanda was moved in at dark and I will get some photos tomorrow and get some lights wired up in there.
  The shed is two bents 16 ft apart and the spred is 30 ft.  Pitch is 7/12 with 3/4 pine boards on 2x6x20 perlins.  It was made from SYP and timbers and post left over from other jobs as well as scrap wood just laying around.  It took two days to make the bents and raise them (had to keep stopping for customers) and two days to put on the perlins and deck the roof (had to keep stopping for customers and unloading log trucks).  Wanda fits in real nice.

ARKANSAWYER

Captain

Love it, Arky.  Shade in the Arkansas Sun and a dry spot in the rain  :)

Captain

Stephen1

Looks Good!!  I like the "cupola" if that is what you would call it. I'd like a roof like that on my Sugar Shack.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

LeeB

I saw you up there on the roof this morning when I drove by. You loked real busy so I didn't stop. I'll come by another day. LeeB
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Jim Haslip

I believe that second roof is called a 'monitor' roof. I don't know the full details on the definition, but the local Timber Frame Pedestrian Bridge here in my Town was originally going to have one like that. It was scrapped (sp?) for the sake of the Budget...

scsmith42

Nice design - I especially like the second roof.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Norm

OneWithWood

Always amazed at what you can get done in a day or two  smiley_swinging_board

I noticed you place your purlins on edge.  I have seen that in a few buildings but most of the builders in these parts lay the purlins down flat.  I know the strength of the purlin is greatest on edge.  Is there another advantage?
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

TexasTimbers

Dave what's going on? Don't you know all you have to do is set that thing on some big rocks you don't need to go through all the hassle of making piers!  :)

It's looking great. I noticed a highway in the background hopefully tou will pick up enough business from drive=bys you won't need no steenking banker.  ;)
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

TexasTimbers

Quote from: Stephen1 on January 11, 2007, 09:24:53 PM
Looks Good!! I like the "cupola" if that is what you would call it. I'd like a roof like that on my Sugar Shack.
I like his cupola/vented ridge too. But please explain to me what is your "Sugar Shack" ???

Stephen1

That is a place in the north-east that we boil down maple sap to make Maple Syrup, and consume the odd refreshment. The "Monitor" roof on a sugar shack usually has flaps on the side that you can open up to allow all the steam out of the building.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

TexasTimbers

Mmm. Love maple syrup. Can't have it anymore though so I do things like eat maple flavored bacon and sausage to get my fix.

solodan

Arky, what size are the posts, king posts, knee braces, and especially the beams that span the 30 feet? Is there an advantage to having the large opening on the end like you have, as opposed to having it on the side of the structure? I really like the cupola too, adds alot more character to the structure.

Dave Shepard

That's a very nice saw shed Arkansawyer. I also like the monitor roof. I have seen many of those travelling in Vermont. When I build my sugar shack it will have a monitor to let the steam out.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

SwampDonkey

My cousin's sugar shack has a 'monitor' roof as well.

Nice work Arky, I'de be forever erecting that because I'de be alone doing it. You don't get much help now a days from the neighbors when their is work involved. ;D :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

DWM II

Moving right along aint ya Arky!
Stewardship Counts!

logwalker

DanG it Arkansas, You are really making us look bad when you throw these buildings up like they are Kid's playhouses. It is already hard enough trying to explain to the Missus' why her house isn't done after 4 years. On a more serious note I am impressed. Did you crunch the numbers on those bents? Can you show us a closeup of those brackets? Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

ARKANSAWYER

The timbers are 6x6's except for the two front post and they are 8x8's necked down to 6x6 on top to fit into the connetors.   I put the perlins up on edge because they can support more weight and are spanning 16 feet between the bents.  There is a timber tight bolt running down through them to hold them to the rafter.  It is on the peirs because we get some winds on this ridge.  Yes the highway is not even 100 yards across the holler.   I am blowing my sawdust into the holler to fill it up.  The opening is 29 feet wide and 12 ft high so I can get large long logs into Wanda.  I saw alot of long stuff and just today got an order for pine 6x12x20's.  When doing that I load just two logs at a time then lift the timbers off the mill with the tractor.

Working on filling in the holler.

Do not fill bad about the Missus' house I have been working on ours for over 13 years and it is still not done.   But it is warm and dry.

The roof is like it is because during the summer the top draws air like a chimeny and the wood decking will keep the tin from letting the heat in.  Makes it cooler in the summer by making cool shade and drawing air up.
ARKANSAWYER

OneWithWood

Makes all the sense in the world to me. I should have been more observant and noticed the wide spans.
So, once that holler is filled up will you be moving to a new location or just setting up a side line business for mulch?  :D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

ARKANSAWYER

I have found that bermuda grass loves sawdust so I figured that I could put in a turf farm.
ARKANSAWYER

LeeB

hey Arky, did you manage to stay warm in there today? LeeB
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

1 Quart Low

Arky,
  Tell me about Wanda?  I don't think we have been properly introduced.

ARKANSAWYER

LeeB  you know DanG well it was hard to stay warm anywhere but next to a wood stove the last week.

1 Quart Low,
Wanda is my WoodMizer 2001 LT40HDG25 who has sawn over 1.5 million bdft of lumber and is one of the hardest working mills around.  I have dragged her over hill and dale for 5 years but now she has a nice hard roof over her head all the time.  Still hard working but not wearing out a set of tires every year.

ARKANSAWYER

1 Quart Low

Thanks for posting the picture.  She's quite a beauty! ;D

KarenKae

This is Wanda's NEW friend Woody's Shed.  It has FINALLY rained here so the guys can do some "HOUSE" work!

Thank You Sponsors!