iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Warp top beams

Started by fishfighter, April 05, 2015, 05:11:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishfighter

I been building my timber built and I do have one top plate beam that has started to warp some. This one is 14'x6"x8". It is bowing towards the outside of the building about 3/8" in the center. This is red oak, cut about 1 1/2 months ago. I will be hanging my post and beams within the next week or two. In between my post. I will be stick building. Really the timber built section is just for looks for the inside. The stick building will be off set to the outside section of the post and beams, exposing 4 1/2" of the post and beams inside.

Should I replace this beam? I could plane the outside back down to get it to line up, but I am still thinking it just might keep warping even more as it dries out. I had put a lot of time into the beam already cutting.

Happy Easter all

beenthere

Is the beam one that is pith centered (boxed pith)?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Den-Den

If it has warped after 1-1/2 months, it is very likely to warp more in time.
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

fishfighter

Quote from: beenthere on April 05, 2015, 08:19:41 AM
Is the beam one that is pith centered (boxed pith)?

Yes, it is. Was milled from a small tree that was about 12" on the butt end. Once milled, it was kept out of the sun and stacked/sticker with others.

BCsaw

You could use it as a beam, not a post. Place the "hump" upwards! :)
Inspiration is the ability to "feel" what thousands of others can't!
Homebuilt Band Sawmill, Kioti 2510 Loader Backhoe

witterbound

3/8 of an inch over a 14 foot distance IMO isn't unusual.  It's a timber, not trim.

fishfighter

Quote from: BCsaw on April 05, 2015, 06:14:15 PM
You could use it as a beam, not a post. Place the "hump" upwards! :)

It is all mortised out. So, no way of flipping it. I have 6 mortise cuts in it. This is a top plate beam.

BCsaw

Your committed to that........now how much does it bother you?

You can mill a new one, or continue on with that one.

Timbers can do that even with proper milling practices.

The other thing that can come up is, will it continue to move and how will it affect the fit of your joints?

Get it up and assembled as soon as you can! ;D
Inspiration is the ability to "feel" what thousands of others can't!
Homebuilt Band Sawmill, Kioti 2510 Loader Backhoe

fishfighter

Had checked it out again today. Been stickering it at the ends and putting a lot of weight on it center. It's warping more.

Guess I will have to cut another.  :'(

Was planning on getting it up next weekend, but nothing but rain, rain and more rain. That is on top of all the rain/ water I have now.

Thank You Sponsors!