iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

501 mountain goat skidder

Started by coxy, January 09, 2013, 09:13:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxy

can any one give me any info on my old pettibone 501 mountain goat the brakes r crappy thay do not hold it and 4get about stoping it  thay dont have a vary big caliper onit may be some one put something else on them  dont want to scrap it runs to good old detroit thanks

barbender

I have the same machine, the brakes work but you have to put some serious beef on the petal, and I've only used it on flat ground.
Too many irons in the fire

lumberjack48

If i was on my feet i believe that i would come up with a kit to put disk brakes on all the older skidders.

If you know where theres a S8, IH take a look at the brake system. They have a rotor and caliper on the back of the tran. Then theres another rotor and caliper off the rear end under the winch. The S8 well stop on dime, and give you 9 cents in change. The emergency brake worked off the rotor on the tran, but you set it mechanically, by hand, the skidder wouldn't move until you released it.
Try find a junk one to get the parts off of.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

coxy

thanks 4 info have a75 case 300 skid king with big cal rotor great stoping pettibone has cal rotor but break pades r only about 3in round just dont stop e break dont work cant find parts 4 it im  in eastern ny land of taxes  thanks paul  p.s kind of a new be on here what a great site

Thank You Sponsors!