iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree farmer 1972

Started by crazy4saws, August 13, 2015, 12:19:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neilo

I just read where this thread is up to. The pr52 is covered in old timberjack parts and workshop manuals.

Do you still want information on them? I won't have access to them until middle of January.

crazy4saws

Thanks for the replies. I'll re use the spindles as you guy suggested. I figured I could tear down the other axle and build one good axle if needed but I'll rebuild this one instead.

Thanks Neilo for the offer. I should be receiving the service manual I bought off eBay for the Rockwell planetaries this week. If for some reason it doesn't cover what I need to know I'll send you a PM.

What's everyone's thoughts on machining the hub to accept the axle seal?

coxy

I would not worry about it put it together and run it  :)

tantoy

Without that seal, Seems to me if the machine was on a side hill that gear oil would transfer from the center (differential), thru the spindle and into the planetary. Not going to hurt anything but may lower the differential oil over time?
Would it be possible to run the pr52 spindle with all the rest of the pr67 stuff, or is totally different.
1968 Garrett 20 Skidder
1991 Ford 1920 Tractor/Loader
2000 Takeuchi tb135 Excavator
Stihl 020, 041 Super, 084
Husqvarna 61, 181SE, 357XP

coxy

if it runs one way it should run back to level it back out  my pr75s don't have a seal just a rubber oring on the spindle to keep it from leaking out where it bolts together

Logger RK

I just found this site. Read the first 5 pages & jumped up 2 here(finally got below zero temps here in NW Wis so got 2 freeze some red clay down 2 do a little logging so not enough time right now 2 read all 11 of them yet)but it's good 2 c a Tree Farmer being brought back up & working. I have 3 Tree Farmers (4,5 & 7) & 3 sons in there 20's. I believe there getting good experience by keeping them machines productive. It helps when my Bride got me a 1 1/2 inch wrench 4 a Christmas present also. Looks like ur doing real good at fixing it back up. I get more time I'll try 2 check it all out.

ga jones

The new spindles have the seal deleted. So I'm guessing it's no big deal. (I've changed 2). The pr67 stuff is way harder to get than the 52. Also the axles are different
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

crazy4saws

Been making small progress on the c4B. Traveling A lot lately for work so not much free time.

Made a trip out to New York awhile ago and picked up 2 PR67 from forestry member Coxy along with some spare T98 transmissions parts. An excellent trip! I've got all the axle torn down in the shop. Putting new pinion shaft seals on the centers and cleaning everything up for re assembly. The t98 is also close to reassembly.

I was curious what method and type of paint you guys suggest for repainting the skidder. Is it better to rebuild everything and paint it when it's al together or paint the pieces individually then assemble? 
What type of paint would you recommend?

For prep work im either wire wheeling the surfaces or sandblasting them.

Thanks everyone

tantoy

Very cool that coxy was able to help. Your machine is yellow right (not the green)?? I did the pressure wash thing with greaser. No sandblast. Little wire wheel. Yellow is hard to get to cover IF they tint the paint in the store. I found that having the paint mixed at the factory made huge difference. Also consider having the primer tinted yellow. 
1968 Garrett 20 Skidder
1991 Ford 1920 Tractor/Loader
2000 Takeuchi tb135 Excavator
Stihl 020, 041 Super, 084
Husqvarna 61, 181SE, 357XP

crazy4saws

Making progress the past few weeks while at home. The t98 is completely rebuilt(actually I rebuilt it 3 seperate times) first time I had the wrong input shaft installed, once that was exchanged and assemblied I realized the case I was using had the t18 style mounting holes instead of the t98(butterfly pattern mounting holes). Third time I got it right! I had original tranny plus 3 others, picked the best parts from all 4. The input shaft  I had to buy new from Davco. The original case had slop in the main bearing holes, about .004" I used loctite 680 to help retain the bearing so they won't spin.

There seems to be variations to the t98/t18 mounting pattern, all 4 of the ones I have are different, no to mention the different variations in jnout shafts. The picture quality isn't great, sorry.

Here are the input shafts, left to right, old shaft, new shaft, used shaft(ford truck style which wasn't correct)

Welded in the groves on the planetary spindles where the seal rides. Next I'll turn it down to the proper size

Building an engine stand for 3-53 so I can run it and clean it up.

Progress is slow but I want to repair it right instead of fast. Doesn't help that I'm back on the road for the next few weeks, working in Missouri but without this job I wouldn't have that skidder!

coxy

I was wondering if you where still alive  :D :D :D :D :D

crazy4saws

Sure am Coxy, Still kicking and screaming! I didn't get pictures but I've got the mounting plates cut off those PR67s and reenfornment stringers ran along the axles. Just need to weld the plate back on and it will be ready to bolt on

mesquite buckeye

When you get this done you can go into business manufacturing skidders. ;D

You might even come up with better ways to make one. ;D ;D ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Woodschopper

Would really love to know how this project turned out.

Grappletractor

Really disappointing how the op just dropped the thread :(

crazy4saws

Pretty unimpressive.....Here's the progress of the project, not completed lol hoping to have more time in the near future as Ive switched contractors to travel less.

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!