iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Lewis and Clarke air rifle....

Started by IMERC, February 26, 2011, 09:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IMERC

Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

CX3

Somebodys been on facebook :D :D

Or im guessing you were, and saw that on the NRA forum?
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

Tom

Did you know... that threads with titles like "Did you know..." don't get as many hits as titles that tell people what they are about?   :)

IMERC

Quote from: CX3 on February 26, 2011, 09:26:55 PM
Somebodys been on facebook :D :D

Or im guessing you were, and saw that on the NRA forum?

don't do facebook.... or NRA forums....
buddy with like intrest sent me the link in an email...

IMERC

Quote from: Tom on February 26, 2011, 09:47:32 PM
Did you know... that threads with titles like "Did you know..." don't get as many hits as titles that tell people what they are about?   :)

is this more better????

Tom

pineywoods

Full write-up in the latest issue of american rifleman. Makes sense, great for small game and no black powder or percussion caps to worry with.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Tom

The video that IMERC posted says something about a fourty-plus caliber ball being put through a one-inch pine plank at 100 yards.   That sounds like something I wouldn't want to get in front of and I'm no "Small Game".   :D :D

WH_Conley

The video says it was a military rifle in some countries. I was wondering why they only took one. Maybe people were not too secure in the new technology.
Bill

Tom

Well, They said that they had one, but they didn't say that they didn't have two...  maybe three...  or....... :D

WH_Conley

Bill

timerover51

This info on Wikipedia gives a good description of the weapon, which was issued to Austrian troops during the Napoleonic War period.  I suspect that it provided the inspiration for the air gun used by Captain Nemo in Verne's 20,000 Leagues Under the Seas.  There is a company making a modern 0.50 inch air rifle that is on par with the .45 ACP in energy and stopping power.

A friend of mine and I have done some work on air weapons, and with a 5000 psi air supply from a dive compressor, we figure that with larger weapons, we can duplicate black powder artillery performance of the Civil War period, i.e. about 1000 to 1200 feet per second with projectiles of 3 to 6 pounds in weight.

Thank You Sponsors!