iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rifle Scope?

Started by bama20a, October 14, 2012, 02:17:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bama20a

For you Hunters & shooters, I'm in the market for a scope,For my son.
Don't want or need one of them 100000 mile super long range scopes ;D His shot's is mostly not much over a 100 to 150 yds.
I've got way to many guns (If there is such of a thing ;D)So I'm going to thin down on some & get him a good scope.So what would ya'll recommend ?
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

WildDog

What calibre? My recednt scope mounted on a .223 is a Red Field brand, made in the states, reasonably priced, matt black, I am hard on my gear and have had it in torrential rain with no problems.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Norm

Nikon is my choice for a good scope.

Magicman

Yes, Nikon "Buckmaster" is a good choice, but whatever you get, look at the warranty because "things" can happen.  I had a scope failure last year in Colorado that was replaced under warranty. (Vortex fogged up)

Over the years I have used virtually every scope on the market and presently have Nikon, Leupold, Zeiss, Weaver, Bushnell, Vortex, & Redfield.  All are good and I recommend them.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

scsmith42

In addition to the advice offered thus far, if you want a really good scope be sure to evaluate Nightforce Optics.  Although much of their line is devoted to long range sniper scopes, they have some shorter range models that are extremely high quality.

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

chevytaHOE5674

Every rifle I have larger than a .22 has a Leupold scope on it and I've had nothing but great luck with them over the years. Did have a problem once with a scope on a 12ga slug shotgun not holding zero, after talking with Leupold they told me to send it back and that a new one was already being boxed up and shipped out, that's what convinced me that I'll put one on everything I own that needs a scope...

clww

Simmons and Bushnell are on most of my rifles. My McMillan sniper rifle came with a Leupold.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

celliott

If you aren't shooting any further than 150 yards, you definitely don't need anything more powerful than a 3X9. Here in Vermont, a 100 yard shot is pretty rare. I have a 2X7 Leupold on my .308, it's a very good scope, and I like the amgnification ranges for where I hunt. My dad has a Leupold on a .270 he got when he graduated high school, and that scope is still crisp and clear. I don't have alot of experience with anything but Leupold, but you won't go wrong with one if that's what you choose. Whatever you get, be sure to match the scope to the terrain and area you'll be hunting in most often.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Delawhere Jack

Leupold offers good value for the buck :D 3x9 power works well for deer hunting. There is no point going over 10x for hunting. Get the biggest objective lens you can. I've got a 40mm, and I've had to pass on a number of deer at dawn and dusk because the scope just doesn't bring in enough light to get a good look.

An illuminated reticle helps too, or at least thick crosshairs. Fine crosshairs are almost impossible to see in low light.

Ron Scott

I prefer Leupold or Nikon. Most experience has been with Leupold's VRX II. I also have some Leupold game cameras and rangefinder.
~Ron

Chuck White

I favor the Burris and Nikon.

A 3-9 power is a good choice IMHO.

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

jdonovan

Quote from: bama20a on October 14, 2012, 02:17:53 AM
get him a good scope.So what would ya'll recommend ?

Give us a budget... If you're used to $39.95 china specials, a $200 scope will seem like the world. Then again if we point you to a $3000 S&B, and you want to put it on a $299 .30-30, well thats not a good fit either.

Yoopersaw

Zeiss Conquest for less than $400 in 3x9.

Magicman

Yup, right on top of my Browning A Bolt 30-06.

Zeiss Conquest
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

chain

I guess there's just not any old 'rion-sight' purist anymore, save one. Only optic I own is a vintage hand held shaving mirror that I've used for the, "over-the shoulder-backward shot"...at a cowbell. The key to accuracy is the thickness and quality of the mirror.  :D

One deer season we met a savory old fellow coming out of the woods, he was toting a winchester lever 30/3o , I believe. He challenged us to a shooting match right then and there. "See that white rock up there on the righthand side of that cedar stump?", He bet a quarter he'd be the first to hit it. Well, to shorten the story... he fired, the white rock disappeared, I missed the next one, he got my quarter! That's the way is use to be in the Ozarks, a man was known by his savvy shooting, all came from the ole Kentucky rifle days, I reckon. :D

VT_Forestry

My most recent purchase was a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x...sighted in easily and hasn't budged a hair on my muzzleloader.  If I recall, I paid $160 at Bass Pro for it, which I thought/still think is a great deal. 

Other than that, I've had really good experiences with Simmons (on a .22 mag) and an older model Redfield 4x on my Remington 742 (.30-06). 
Forester - Newport News Waterworks

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Thank You Sponsors!