iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Black bear in Missouri – black bear on my farm??

Started by Bibbyman, August 18, 2012, 03:38:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

I called Moultrie a bit ago and talked to a nice lady who answered my questions and gave me some suggestions.

She didn't know the exact "wake up time" but figured it was around a second, maybe a little less.   That should be fast enough. 

She couldn't give me the the exact detection angle but it was pretty wide. I ask if as wide as the picture.  Not that wide but pretty wide.

She ask how high I was setting the camera. About breast high. She recommended 2-3' high.

She gave me instructions of how to reboot the camera that would reset the defaults.

I went to the camera and most of the bait I'd spread out was gone.  Apparently, few wild animals like tomatoes.   A box turtle was there chowing down.

There were two pictures.  One of me and one of nothing.

I moved the camera to a different tree and put it about 2' off the ground.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Bibbyman

Was in Walmart this morning.  Spotted a lady stocking carrots.  Asked her if I could get some discarded vegetables and or fruit to feed wildlife.  After some discussion, we figured we had to talk to the department manager.  A couple more people got involved before manager got there.   Upshot, no way to document that they gave away garbage so...  sorry,  no scraps for wildlife.

Went to a smaller local store and talked to the produce manager. Not a problem, except she didn't have anything right now.  Come back later or in the morning and she'd have some cabbage trimming.
Sawing since '94

Bibbyman

I found the bark ripped off an elm along the stream where I have the trail cam.  The tree is about 6" diameter and the marks are about 4' off the ground.   There were a few other marks around the tree - including one near the base.

I found a dead white oak about 14" on the stump that had been ripped up somewhat.  This one you can make out 5 horizontal marks that may have been made by a claw.

Here is the other side of the dead white oak tree.  There was a small amount of scat about 4' from the base.  There could have been more under the dead sap and bark on the ground.

I'm getting discouraged with the trail cam.  Found two pictures on it.  Real likely they were tripped when I shut the door on the camera.  Two because I set it to take two pictures in succession.  I also set the reset time to 15 seconds from 30.  In any case, no pictures of anything other than the branch and the brush.    I put out more bait of fruit and vegetables.

I did a circle of the area and found two more scats and the white oak tree that had been ripped up.

Sawing since '94

John_Haylow

2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

Bibbyman

I've been lead to understand that black bear are pretty evasive of humans and not likely to attack unless defending cubs or cornered.

I don't always pack heat on these walks but when I do, I stick a S&W 1917 45 ACP in my bib pocket. That should make a good noise. If more noise is suggested, I have a S&W 29 with 4" bbl.  Not only make more noise but singe some hair off and cause temporary blindness.
Sawing since '94

Murphydog

Quote from: Bibbyman on August 18, 2012, 03:38:52 PM
I don't know if Missouri ever lost every black bear in the state.  But the past few years they have made a comeback.   Mostly in the Ozark area, but they have spread all over the state.

A couple of years ago the gravel haulers spotted a black bear feeding from a deer feeder.   They stopped and watched it and there was more than one witness.  This spot is about 200 yards from our property line and in the same valley as I have recently found what I think is bear scat.

I have found droppings like this before in the past couple of years.  I've looked for other sign but not found anything conclusive.

This year has been exceptionally dry.  A drought in fact.  All the streams are dry.  The creek has a few shallow puddles. One place in many miles that has water is a spring well up in the roughest and most remote part of our farm.  It's in this area that I've fund the suspicious scat.

I can't make the scat be any wild or domestic animal that I'm familiar with.  It can't be carnivore as there is no hair, bone or other indication other than a plant eater.  It doesn't look like horse or cow droppings.

Yesterday I set out a Moultrie L50 trail cam just a little down from where the spring comes up in the steam bed.  There is a heavy used trail coming in on the right side of it.  I've not checked it yet.  I may tomorrow afternoon.  If I get anything it'll most likely be a deer or coon.
wow,the only scats we come across here in the UK are rabbits and occasionaly deer,so boring here.

chain

The MDC has been doing a black bear population study across the southern Ozark counties.  If interested, contact your Private Lands CA for details; they have attractants and cage-traps and always allow the landowner to witness and photograph a trapped bear if wanted. 

We had a bear several years ago come through, saw the tracks and other sign. A bear was shot in the vicinity a couple weeks later, it was supposedly harrassing some fellow's dogs and also feeding in a garbage dump.

Bibbyman

Back in the day we had "game wardens".  I looked on the mdc website for contact information for our country's conservation agent.  Turns out, we don't have a local one.  Have to contact the region office.

Decided to see if I could get a picture of it or maybe a sighting.

Likely there has been bear around here for years. Never knew them to cause a problem.
Sawing since '94

trapper

I carry a can of bear spray when picking blackberries.  Suposed to be more efective than a handgun.  I find the best berries where the bear are coming into the patch.
Now that I have a ccw permit I may also carry a handgun in addition to the spray.  Now I dont have to unload every time I get on the atv
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Bibbyman

The last place I seen bear spray advertised was in Cody, Wyoming. 

Missouri Department of Conservation downplays any danger from black bears.  I've roamed these hills since I graduated from a tricycle and never felt threatened.  Biggest danger would be snake bit or falling off a bluff.

That being said, not many years back Dad was out mushroom hunting and a pack of wild dowgs ran up on him.  They acted threatening but he cussed them down and threatened them with his walking stick.

A few years back son Chris was out on the backside of the farm when a Rottweiler without collar came up on him and had all intention of attacking him.  He was packing a Marlin 1895 guide gun in 45/70. End of argument!

I carry a handgun when I think of it but never really felt I needed to.  I don't have a conceal carry permit and never really felt I needed one.
Sawing since '94

trapper

I bought my bear spray at cabelas. My fil used pepper spray on a dog that was harassing him on his morning walk.  Never bothered him again.  My friend also got the ccw to not have to unload his handgun every time he gets in his truck trapping coon along the roads.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

chain

Nowadays I'm more cautious of those two-legged critters surprising me back in a field or woods. Really some strange folks out there, used to I would know most folks and their kids that roamed around but not now!

A few years ago I was bass-casting along an old slough, and standing down near the waters edge, the bank was up above me maybe 8'. Suddenly I felt someone was near watching me, as I turned around and looked up there stood a fellow with his hunting knife out. I knew he had an advantage and I planned to dive in and swim for it. But in the best commanding voice I could manage I said, "did you see my brother down there". He put his knife in his pocket and went on down the path. :o

SwampDonkey

I'm not being brave here, but I have walked and sighted many bears in our woods. Not a single one was ever aggressive. I never carry a gun or a knife in the woods. Nothing has tried to eat me up except the flies. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

trapper

My only concern is both of us may be quietly going about our business and unexpedly meet nose to nose.  I also have been in the woods and seen bear with no problem.

wdtik

Just saw this on the wire--->

http://helenair.com/news/state-and-regional/mont-rancher-shoots-bear-that-broke-into-house/article_45dcb838-f029-579e-b1b9-3f45a5311c7a.html

I bought a border collie from Lane years ago, their ranch is in a spectacular setting butts right up against
the front.

A backhoe going down the road early in the morning ---SSS

Bibbyman

I probably should use more caution when getting near the spring where I have the trail cam.   I drive up to about 100 yards with the Mule then slip along quietly so maybe by chance get a glimpse of the bear.  But if successful, I may just startle it. I'm like that about tornados, I'd like to see one but I don't want to be in one.
Sawing since '94

fuzzybear

Quote from: Bibbyman on August 26, 2012, 07:07:50 PM
I've been lead to understand that black bear are pretty evasive of humans and not likely to attack unless defending cubs or cornered.
Black bears are the ones I am VERY cautious with. A grizzly will almost always show his intentions, when the initial charge and stomp is over they will either hold their ground(at witch point you need to move away) or will turn and walk away. A black bear however, will turn away to leave and then just flat out try to run you over.
  If you really want to teach a bear to stay away from humans bear spray will only teach them to be cautious, a 12ga with #2 shot will "Spank" them. At 50 yds the shot will not penetrate their hide but will teach them to stay away. I always have in order #2, 00 buck, 1oz slug.  1st shot is spank, if I need the second, that one is the "I'm serious" shot, and the last one is "bye bye"
  A hand gun is ok for making noise, but I have seen guys use 38/45 to make the "finishing"  shot to a bears head, I always have to laugh. Even at point blank range the slug can be reloaded into a casing with only the rifling showing from the previous shot. They just do not have enough power to penetrate more than 2-3"  If the bear is healthy and fat at this time of year the bullet from these small hand guns will not penetrate the very dense fat layers around a bear.
The trees torn up are the proof that you have a bear. and a hungry bear. Ants are a favorite of black bears.  If it has been a lean summer with not much for food, I would be carrying a bigger gun.  If a bear has not built up it's fat enough for winter, everything becomes food, including an animal that can only run with two legs. ;D  they will loose ALL fear when they are hungry.
  I have run ins with bears of all  shapes and sizes at least 5-10 times a year,  I have only had to use the 2nd shot about a dozen times in my life, and the 3rd shot thankfully only 2 times. Both times the bear was seriously underweight and were trying to eat me.
  If you want to bait the bear in, use bacon, the green,slimy old bacon. they will come from all over for it. Also black bears for some reason like gas cans. the red ones with just a drop of gas in it, no cap. They will chew on it and play with it for a long time.  My father who has lived in the bush his whole life, told me that it's like catnip to them, they get a smell and they get all glazey eyed.
Also if the scat is black that means they are not eating enough fat foods like berries. another reason to be on guard when in this area. If you do some recon I believe you will find a den somewhere within a mile of these trees and berry patches.  Bears can cover alot of ground in a short time, but if they find an area with enough food this late in the year, they tend to den up in the area to try and gain more fat for winter.
FB
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

trapper

Does it get cold enough in missouri for the bear to den up?

SwampDonkey

Doesn't have to be cold, they'll den anyway. On the west coast, it's milder than Mo. We had geese at the logging camp year around, but as soon as the salmon run was done and the berries all ate the bears went to den. They can come out at any time in the winter, they do that here in milder winters. But they go back to the den.

Around the denser geographic settlements and farms the bears behave a lot different than in sparsely populated areas. They even behave different when it comes to markings. Around here they don't leave mounds of dung on their borders. In the remote areas of BC they leave huge dung piles and do tend to be more curious or brave. I've seen several that making noise never bothered them a bit, but they would slink off after awhile.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Bibbyman

Does this look like a place a black bear would like?   It's a cliff overhang about 40' wide, 20' tall in front, and maybe 30' deep.  There are two other smaller cliff overhangs nearby.  These cliff overhangs are up the larger branch in this valley.  It's less than a quarter mile from the spring.
Sawing since '94

SwampDonkey

Any that we have seem to like a big old rotten hardwood stump on a dry side hill and they make a nest with leaves they line the den with. They will excavate under the stump, easier digging than just down into the hard mud. I have found a lot of dens and all I have found are done this way in my area. I find them when thinning in hardwoods. I never find any on softwood land we thin. They will also go into mixed wood thickets and den. I have not known any to go to overhangs, too exposed. They will go in small caves, I've seen them go into small rocky crevasses on pinnacles that have woods around but not exposed peeks.

chain

Bibby, There's a very interesting photo and short article on Missouri Black bear study, back cover of "Missouri Conservationist", September, 2012 issue.

Bibbyman

Quote from: chain on August 30, 2012, 05:34:55 PM
Bibby, There's a very interesting photo and short article on Missouri Black bear study, back cover of "Missouri Conservationist", September, 2012 issue.

Got it.
Sawing since '94

terry f

Bibbyman, are you wanting to keep the bear, or are you wanting it gone. I'm with Chain on the two legged critters, I'll take a bear in my woods anyday, over them. I don't know how many bears or cougars you have in Missouri, but like anything, they have their place, just might not be on your farm.

SwampDonkey

Most, but not all dens I have found have been on north facing slopes. I found one site where someone had a hunting blind set up just up hill of the den.

Thank You Sponsors!