iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Spring cleaning

Started by Bibbyman, May 19, 2003, 07:05:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

One thing nice about doing only remote custom sawing is you don't have a mess to clean up around a sawyard.  Besides all the logs, slabs, and sawdust, you have, chunks of bark, chunks of anything, clumps of mud, weeds, trimmed knots, limbs, and boards, parts of odd orders, blocking, odd cans of stuff, implements taken off and placed where they could be placed when there was snow on the ground or mud under tire, that sure make a mess of things.  Then grass, weeds, vines, brush and multi-floral rose start overtaking everything.  And somewhere under it all are for sure a couple of leg-less reptiles ready to hiss you off.

Mary and I have been spending far more time in the past two weeks trying to get the sawyard area in good order after the winter and latest heavy rains than we have sawing.  We worked about 12 hours yesterday, interrupted by only one customer lumber pickup.  We,  moved, picking up by hand and fork, pushed with front loader, mowing with bush hog, riding mower, and string weed eater and still not quite and probably will never be done.  

But it's best to get on top of it before it gets hot and the weeds and brush get higher.  Neglect a knee-high sprout this year and it'll be about too big to brush hog next year.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Frickman

Bibbyman, you need a few goats. In our neck of the woods we use them to clean up fence rows and waste areas quite a bit. A good friend expanded his sheep pasture into several overgrown acres of multi floral rose and poison ivy. Goats love poison ivy and roses, they are the first things they go for. After one year he was rid of the weeds and brush and had a nice stand of grass growing. Right now we have a nanny along the woods below my mill clearing some roses. Once you get a few goats you will wonder how you ever lived without them.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

WV_hillbilly

Yeah Bibby I'm with ya . All I was trying to do was cut the grass between rainy days and it turned into a equipment fixin day. I  thought I had all the kinks worked out of the mower and weedeater but I didn't. First the pull string broke on the mower. Fixed that and started to cut grass. Next it needed gas and low and behold I didn't have any . So off to the fillup station. Filled up mower , now it won't start . Must have flooded it out. Say a few choice words and go get the weedeater out. Run it for a while and string runs out. Reload string with what was suposed to be  two 8 ft pcs. Well I used both ends of same piece. wind up string and have a big loop instead of 2 more ends . say a few more choice words. Finally in frustration I threw everything back in the garage opened a Bud and sat on porch watching the sun set. I will get after it again tommorrow if it don't rain. I may need to buy a baler by then though  :D
Hillbilly

dail_h

Bad as I hate multiflora rose,I'd rather have it than a @%$#^% #$%^& *$%@* Goat
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Thank You Sponsors!