iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Inspection Short Course

Started by inspectorwoody, May 21, 2003, 05:24:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inspectorwoody

. Curious to see if any of you guys in or around Iowa would be interested in attending a short course etc. I would be willing to put one on for free if someone is willing to provide lumber to look at. Just an idea.

Gadget  8)

Fla._Deadheader

When ya get the one ready in Fl., let me know. I'll sign up for a front row seat !! ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

inspectorwoody

You get my plane ticket rounded up and I'll be down  ;D

Fla._Deadheader

How about sometime in Febuary?? Ya outta be ready for a break by then?? :D :D

Maybe we can get the rest of the "Fl. connection" to get in on this ??
   First, it is ridiculed;

inspectorwoody

:D I'm ready for a break now!  ;D The more people the better.  :)

Norm

That's a real generous offer woody, Patty and I would be interested if you can get enough interest to make it worth your time.

I also have lots of lumber with defects to use for examples, uh the neighbor left em here yeah that's it. ;D

Fla._Deadheader

Shoot Norm, I'm hopin he will be able to sort through my piles and show me what a GOOD board looks like :o :o ::) ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Weekend_Sawyer

Mr Deadheader, I aint gonna touch that one! :o

Mr Inspector, Let me know, I'll try and make it too.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

inspectorwoody

Norm

Not a problem at all. I am all for working with the smaller operations even though I work for one of if not the largest mills in the state of Iowa.

We get enough interest and enough guys willing to show up and I'll be at your place in no time.  ;D Even if I can't find ya on the map!  :D

To the rest of you....

If necessary I will be willing to set up a few of these through out the state to accomodate everyone thats interested. I'll shoot for Norm's place the first go around and than I'll see what happens after that.

So if you guys are interested in heading up to Norm's (ok...if he gives me the ok to use his place  ;D ) drop me an e-mail or somthing and I'll start putting a list together.

Thanks

Gadget

ElectricAl

Gadget,

Sounds like you may have some takers on the lumber grading short course.

I think Norm and Patty's place would be great. ;)

I could come over, then when you start talking I'll slip out the door and dig some holes with Patty's big track hoe.   ;D
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Jeff

I wish I could come. :-[ :-/ Its a

Long ways.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sawwood

If you have it at Norm's and its on a week end i sure will
 make it there.

Sawwood 8)
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

sawwood

Norm as i see by my map you are north and east of
 Des Moines ? That would make it a 3 or 4 hours trip
 from Kansas City Mo. so i can make it if you have it.

Sawwood
18" planer/molder

ElectricAl

Jeff,

Would you come if I pack one of Norm's Black Locust with powder and left some fuse hanging out for Ya? :o

Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Jeff

DanG, thats pretty tempting, but who would light the fuse under my butt on this end to get me there? :D

ElectricAl

inspectorwoody

How does a Saturday Morning....say start about 8-9?? Depending on a guys drive home, we could maybe plan for a social deal on Sunday.

Any and all ideas to make this worth your guy's trip and enjoable. I'm not picky.

Norm

What do you all have out there for lodging? Save me some logs I can buck up with my new Sthil 44, 28" bar  ;D I'm itching to cut.  :D

Al

Sounds like you have a Grand Finale planned  ;D

Jeff

Maybe we could go via satellite and reach ya  8)

Jeff

inspectorwoody

Jeff

Will do  :)

Norm

How much Walnut you got out your way? If not much would it be much trouble to get your hands on some? I'll need some 6-7' and a few 8'. Won't need much, just enough to work with and you can have some defects  ;D

sawwood

Saterday sounds good to me, just let me know the date
 and i will be there. Would you like to have us bring some
 lumber shorts to have you look at ? Also i will bring some
 goodies to help keep us going, let me know what to bring.

I have a sawer that might come to. Hay Bibb you going to
 try and go ?

Sawwood
18" planer/molder

inspectorwoody

Sounds good Sawwood

Sawwood made a good point. If any of you have any questions in regards to your lumber, go ahead and bring some if possible.

A lot of you guys who having drying experience will be a great help too. What I may think might not be a problem on the chain may in turn be a problem after the kiln does its magic. Red Oak is a very good example of many colors and what you may think it will do on the chain green is 150% opposite what it will do in the kiln.

I don't know what a lot of you guys are doing with your end product as far as selling grade lumber etc or dealing with bigger mills but if any of you have any questions, please feel free to contact me via email or I can get you my number. The lumber industry as a whole is my love in life and being able to help you guys out is a pleasure. Most of you have been around the industry longer than I have so I can learn just as much from you as you can from me.  :)

inspectorwoody

Wish I would think of everything at once so I didn't have so many replys  :D  :D  ;D

Al

If possible, I think you need to be there too. Your a man with a weath of knowledge also.  8)

Norm

A Saturday would be the best for us also, I have plenty of walnut that would be usable for grading, also some red oak and white oak and even a little cherry in our Morton drying so finding what you need shouldn't be a problem. I had to laugh when someone asked about lodging as Bangor is about as far out in the boonies as you get in Iowa, heck we don't even have a flashing light :D, but we have spare bedrooms and can always use some slave labor er ah company here ;D If you like to camp we have some nice spots on our place for that also.

It would be nice if Al and Linda could come and give some pointers on kiln drying after woody's course as that is still a mystery to me. Thought you were going to get out of work didn't ya Al ;D

Let's shoot for a weekend in mid-June, so it gives folks enough time to do some planning and me to get a list of things I need done around the farm. :D

sawwood

Sounds good to me Norm_f. The 14 is best for me as the 22
 is fathersday and then the week end after that is our family
 reunion. Sure hope Al does make it as i would like to know
 more about kiln drying. If it will help i can bring some food
 so let me know.

Sawood
18" planer/molder

Norm

The 14th sounds good if woody doesn't have any prior commitements (anything else to do).

Our office is in our old house that we kept when we built our new one so we have plenty of room for people that have to drive any distance to stay at. Hope some of can find time to make it here, it would be nice to meet other wood fanatics.

Thank You Sponsors!