iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Worst Wood Ever

Started by DR Buck, June 05, 2019, 07:59:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR Buck

Today I was working on some storage shelving for the wife's sewing room.    The shelves are just over 14" deep and 7 1/2 ft wide and made from 3/4" primed cabinet grade plywood.     Since they are getting painted before installation I decided to face the plywood edge with 1 1/2" yellow pine, which I have lots of.      After assembling the shelves with dados and pocket screws I cut the pine into the 1 1/2" strips and started installing it with my Porter Cable 18ga nailer using 1 1/4" nails.    The first piece I had 2 nails blow out the under side of the shelf and had to pull them through and re-nail.   The next 2 pieces over half the nails curled and blew out through my $50 a sheet plywood shelves.  dangle_smiley  I had quite a few colorful things to say at that point.   :-X  As it turned out most of the yellow pine I cut for the trim strips was rift sawn and the 18 ga nails were curving and following the grain in the wood.    

Between the sewing room and pantry I have quite a few shelves to build and was planning the same type of construction.  I'm not a  fan of predrilling pine and using real nails when I have more than a few finish nailers.    Do you think a larger gauge, like 16 would penetrate without curling?    Or is predrilling the only option? 
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Ljohnsaw

Assuming you are gluing before nailing, try a shorter nails.  Like just a ¼" or ½" longer than the cap strip.  That way there isn't enough to curl.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

LeeB

Sometimes turning your nailer 90° helps too. 16 gauge, shorter nails, and rotating the gun all should help.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Mike W

x2 on turning the nail gun 90 degrees, most finish nails are not round and are thinner in one plane than the other, turning 90 will put the thicker width of the finish nail which wont deflect nearly as much as the flatter face of the nail which is following the grain you are experiencing.  or as also mentioned shorter nails.  Best of luck

hacknchop

Quote from: Mike W on June 06, 2019, 08:56:17 PM
x2 on turning the nail gun 90 degrees, most finish nails are not round and  are thinner in one plane than the other, turning 90 will put the thicker width of the finish nail which wont deflect nearly as much as the flatter face of the nail which is following the grain you are experiencing.  or as also mentioned shorter nails.  Best of luck
Nice explanation I was wondering what turning the nailer 90% would accomplish , kinda like holding your mouth just right , but you cleared that up thanks Mike .
Often wrong never indoubt

Old Greenhorn

Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Thank You Sponsors!