iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Locust for hewing outbuildings and maybe my home

Started by Dme1976, September 09, 2017, 01:05:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dme1976

Hello all new to the forum however not new to old world ways of life and ground up construction from the dirt work to concrete to the last piece of Ridge cap my qwestion Iam going to build a home at some point soon with my hands from log as I always have wanted BUT with that said iam going to start smaller to get a better feel for hewing as well as different techniques Iam gunna first build a smokehouse coming from a long line of butchers and carpenters it a monthy used item around my family to make this shorter I always when with my grandfather used locust for posts and such for outdoor use for its great strength and supreme ability to withstand weather and rot as a kid we set post directly into the dirt for his grape arbors and now at 41 they still stand solid so with all this said what's everyones take on useing locust as my main building wood I understand it'd hard I plan to square lumber on a mill first to within 1/2 inch or so to finish and then adze the finish it's almost always straight wood and here in PA it's plentiful and most use it for firewood so could be got on the cheap

Thank You Sponsors!