iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bird Feeder Squirrelganoff

Started by Jeff, December 08, 2017, 06:11:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luvmexfood

You may have to come out of the dark ages and invest in one of the elecric pressure cookers such as an instant pot. Several different brands. All you have to do is plug them in, program the time and once it cooks at that time it will turn itself over to warm.  Don't have to watch it. I have a small instant pot but may get another big one of a different brand. You can can I think it's 9 pint jars in it at a time. Would be ideal for me to can up some sloppy joes, meatloaf, chille etc and have to open when not in the mood to cook.

Don't need to can much. My sister usually cans around 250-300 cans of any and everything each year. She is so proud when I take some. Local grocery store had whole pork loins on sell last week real cheap. She canned two whole one along with boneless chicken breasts that were also on sale. It's her hobby.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Martha White Nelson

The new word invented by Jeff, "Squirrelganoff", got my curious nature peaked.  Sure 'nuf, I googled it, and it did indeed give a link back to the Forestry Forum.  Next thing you know, it will probably be in the dictionary.
     Growing up in the south on the rivers and bayous, I did a lot of squirrel hunting with my pawpaw and uncles.  I was the only girl grandkid, too many boys to take with them, so I always managed to go.  Pawpaw said that he lived to be so old because he ate a lot of wild things.  Squirrels were the favorite, along with deer, wild hog, ducks, catfish, and an occasional nutria rat.  My favorite squirrel dish is squirrel and gravy, with mashed potatoes and coleslaw.  
     Over the years, I stopped killing things, so when my son wanted to shoot squirrels or birds in the yard, I told him that if he killed it, he'd have to eat it.  Needless to say, he wouldn't kill even a fly any more.
     The last squirrel I had was an orphaned naked baby that fell from a nest during a hurricane.  I raised her to be about six months old, and released her up at Andy and Nancy's home at Lake Sam Rayburn.  Hope she made it!!! 
     If someone brings me dressed out squirrel, I will surely cook and eat it, though!!!
Martha

Thank You Sponsors!