iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Please help ID what I milled - North Alabama

Started by kng, August 30, 2015, 02:00:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kng

Sorry I don't have pics of the leaves.  It was in a farmer's burn pile.

thanks!
-Kyle

2015 LT15G19 with Power Feed and custom trailer

Den-Den

You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

Banjo picker

Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bucknwfl

I say pecan based on the bark but could be hickory.  They are in the same family
If it was easy everybody would be doing it

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Banjo picker

I have never milled any pecan.  Is it that much worse than hickory?  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

beenthere

I'm thinking pecan is hickory. 

QuoteThe pecan (Carya illinoinensis) is a species of hickory ...
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

Pecan is in the Hickory family but to me, the sawing is easier and the lumber is more manageable.  The larger the log, the less likely that it will throw a temper tantrum.  Never attempt to saw limb wood or logs above a "Y" fork.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Yep, pecan is a hickory.  So, sawing pecan is like sawing hickory because it is  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

kng

Thanks for all of the help with the ID!

What is the concern with sawing pecan/hickory?  I didn't notice it being difficult to cut, although the log wasn't very large (about 15" on the small end).

I cut it 4/4, sprayed it with Timbor, and stacked it to air dry.

thanks again!
-Kyle
2015 LT15G19 with Power Feed and custom trailer

Magicman

There is no problem with sawing green Pecan logs and it sounds like you did a good job of handling the lumber.   :)

WDH

Now, get ready for the drying games  ;D. 

Magicman

I don't dries um.  I saws um and leaves um.   ;D

WDH

One of the more difficult woods to dry straight.

Nathan Harp

remember its pronounced "pe-kon"
a pee-can is what a truck driver uses.

typically growing larger and faster than the other hickories, and often branching much more.  If you take car-ya mill out some good heart beams and don't expect much else if you Cant.

WDH

mesquite buckeye

Could it be a bitternut hickory? ??? ;D 8) :snowball:  Pretty close woodwise.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

GAB

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on October 21, 2015, 01:24:25 PM
Could it be a bitternut hickory? ??? ;D 8) :snowball:  Pretty close woodwise.

Based on my very limited knowledge and experience the bark and the lumber look like bitternut hickory to me.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

WDH

In my view, bark is a bit too scaly for bitternut.  However, there are two groups in the hickory genus.  One group is called the "true hickories".  The other group is called the "pecan hickories".  Bitternut is a member of the "pecan hickories", along with water hickory and pecan.  Generally, pecan has a scaly bark, and bitternut has a very tight, thin-ridged bark.  They are very close, however. 

One of the major differences between the true hickories and the pecan hickories is the number of leaflets on the compound leaf.  The true hickories like shagbark, mockernut, pignut, etc have only 5 or 7 leaflets.  The pecan hickories, like water hickory, bitternut, and pecan have 9 or more leaflets.  Usually more.  The nuts are different, too. 

Bitternut has a distinctive sulfur yellow bud, one way to distinguish it from water hickory and pecan.

Sorry gents, I am still in the Pee-kon camp on this one. 

mesquite buckeye

Looks just like my bitternuts. I don't get to see that many pecans and all mine are under 6 feet tall in the CRP land.

Like you said, the yellow buds are distinctive. The nuts look like a pecan that only will crack halfway open. I'm guessing from the name they taste pretty bad. Pretty tough to check in this case since it was bulldozed. Might be interesting to check some adjacent woodlands to see what is there... ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

xlogger

I had a hickory die on my property around 14". I've never saw hickory before, if I cut a mantel out of it with heart wood in it do you think it would ever dry right without cracking badly?
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

SwampDonkey

Nothing but time lost if it doesn't work out. I think there are lots of things we have limited control over, most of the times we just try things and wait for the results. ;D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

We may agree on the Pecan species, but we will never agree on the pronunciation.  Pecan  There are learned folks in the Southeast that just don't talk right.

SwampDonkey

Websters shows 5 ways to pronounce it. The first is pē kän, the truck drivers ummm. And I visited a German website on how to pronounce the ä, it's like in "hand". sooo :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!