iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Deer Sheds

Started by Magicman, February 28, 2012, 07:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I made a loop through my place today and saw one buck that still had his antlers.  Then in a snow :D  green plot I found this shed.  It was small, only about 6" total.  They should all drop within the next few weeks.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

LOGDOG

Many of the bucks still have their antlers here too. Haven't found any sheds yet this year but looking forward to it.

chain

I wasn't going to say anything about it until I read this thread but today I saw three new rubs on cottonwood saplings. Thought I could find some sheds where deer are using a soybean plot and small wash-out which looks like a hog wallow, but none found yet.

beenthere

Haven't found any yet either, and now waiting for the new snow to melt. The 10 pt buck I took a pic of in late Jan has been back without his antlers for 3 weeks. Last eveneing an 8 pt and a 5pt walked by the house still with antlers.

Neighbor has lab dogs and says his grandson is training his own lab to find sheds. Guess they are finding out the lab can work the woods and pick up a scent if they have some training. Interesting.

This is the one now without antlers.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

CLL

Had a small 8 point behind the house with one antler yesterday.
Too much work-not enough pay.

Magicman

It is very difficult to find shed in my country and I doubt that I have found over a dozen total.  I have found three others in this same food plot.  I did happen upon  a matched set once that were lying together.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Paper Maker

I've always thought it amazing how fast their antlers grow back. I bet it makes for a sore head.

LOGDOG

Yep Beenthere, labs can be trained to hunt up sheds. I read that Labradoodles actually were the best at shed hunting. Apparently that's becoming a "thing". My wife even commented that she'd like us to get a dog trained to hunt sheds. (Wife loves antlers.I'm fortunate like that.)

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

BBK

Every year I walk all the feilds with my two Golden Retreivers looking for antler sheds.  This year so far we have 16. We never seem to find them all because one of the tractors always picks up one in a tire.
I love Farming, Logging, Sawmilling, Fishing, and Hunting.

LOGDOG

Awesome video Bill. Thanks for sharing that.

DeerMeadowFarm

I found a nice half of an 8-point rack during December.

sandhills

That's a nice video Bill, I really want their place  ;D.  I've went out actually looking for sheds and never found any, like BBK mentioned though, I have found one with the rear tire on my tractor, luckily it didn't puncture it.

Magicman

I wonder if the deer thinks it's a dog or if the dog thinks it's a deer  ??? ???

LOGDOG

Hard to say but the companionship there is undeniable. My wife watched it at least twice tonight. I like how that deer goes running around the house looking for it's buddy.  :)

Woodchuck53

Wow thank you Raider Bill. That is amazing to see.
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

semologger

Well you dont see that everyday. Nice raider bill

Magicman

Our Daughter has a pet rabbit.  Not just any old rabbit, but a wild rabbit that was rescued from a "bushhogging" incident.  She bottle fed it, raised it, and it is now about 5 years old, blind from cataracts, but otherwise OK.  It is "housebroken" and has it's own place to "go".  It is older than the dogs so they do not know that it is a rabbit.  They all frolic together.

LOGDOG

I guess I better get out and look for some sheds this weekend. Everything is in full bloom over here. Grass is growing, trees all budded out. Before long it'll be hard to see those sheds. Not to mention the cottonmouths and copperheads will be out.  :o ...and the chiggers. >:( Those chiggers tear me up! I've got quite a few 8-12 pointers on our place that I'd love to get the sheds off of.

Norm

So what do you do with these shed antlers?

Magicman

For me, not much because they just go into the shed pile.  The excitement is in the finding and wondering what he will be next year.  Each dropped antler has a story to tell.

Enjoying the outdoors on my place is why I hunt.  Not necessarily for the kill, but to just walk, think about past years, and anticipate the future.  That is what I was doing earlier this week.  Just walking and looking.  The shed, as small as it was, was a bonus.  That little guy will be big some day.   :)

LOGDOG

I like to figure out which deer the antler came from on my place. I have almost 15,000 pictures of deer on my place from just the last couple years.  :) I have a couple lamps either made from antler or with antler accents. Saving up some antler now to make another "something". In our next house I will use antlers for door pull and handles throughout the house. I won't here because I'd hate to leave it behind.

chain

Ha! When I find a antler shed I think about how many soybean plants and soybeans it took to make it. My attitude has changed 100% toward whitetails, but pressure now toward more deer control in Missouri is coming from urban areas, Ms. Housewife and lovely gardener thinks along my line now, very destructive animals...shoooo..t deer!

Bogue Chitto

Better get to looking.  Sheds in Louisiana don't last long on the ground.  The rodents eat them around here. 

LOGDOG

They're gonna have to find me now. Snakes are out, and so are the bugs. The sheds I've found have been out in the open on my place though.

Thank You Sponsors!