iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How many sheds does a boy need?

Started by Qweaver, June 15, 2012, 09:03:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

First we built a 10x20 pretty green shed. Then an open wall 20x24 wood drying shed...added roofs on each side to end up with 36x 24 lumber storage space. Then a 16x32 open shed for the motor home with a 12x32 leanto roof added.  Then a 3 bay 30x24 enclosed storage and work shed w/concrete floor.  Then a 36x24 enclosed shed.  Then a 12x24 shed for the camper.  Then a saw shed for the LT28.  Still not enough room so we are extending the 36x24 by two more bays. Setting the posts today. The Peterson is in the saw shed so I'm figuring out where to build another saw shed for the WM.  I'm thinking of naming our property "Shed City".
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Magicman

If you still have grass to mow, you do not have enough sheds.   ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ely

hackberry jake

I think I am going to name my place "the villa". I saw on a hootie tootie show and I thought it sounded rich. ;D
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

moosehunter

DanG, I thought I had too many sheds! I have a ways to go to catch up to you!
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

clww

Qweaver-Any pictures of that "compound"?
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Cypressstump

And here I was just thinking I was being greedy by wishing for just one shed,,,, that covers about 3/4 acre!
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

DouginUtah

Qweaver,

I am just starting to build a 20' x 10' shed--largest shed for which no building permit is required. I am interested in what you did for the roof. Did you use a sloping, flat roof?  If so, what did you use for rafters? 2x6 on 2' centers?

At first I was going to build 2x4 trusses but think flat will be easier. Haven't figured out which would be cheaper. 2x4 is .38 a foot and 2x6 is .58 a foot. Of course OSB has shot up to $10.47.  >:(

I'm thinking of using 2x4 untreated sole plates with 60# felt paper under them, since it really dry here. Comments welcomed.
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Clam77

Doug - I'd go with the 2x6's... 20­¢ isn't so much of a difference  for the added strength and support when you consider what might be hanging from those rafters down the road.  Not so sure I'd do a flat roof... a little bit of a slope for weather runoff might be a good idea..   :-\

Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

hackberry jake

I didnt think anybody on here bought lumber
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Woodchuck53

My dad asked me that this past hitch home. I agree with MM. If the grass is showing either pour concrete or build a shed. Or add on to one.

I poured concrete to add the lumber shed and equipment shed to the shop building.

The minimum delivery here is 5 yards so I set 20 poured peirs and an 8x 27' slab along with the 6x6' cleanout on the new front commercial driveway. 12 tons of limestone #67 rock and new gate post poured also. Still have a little grass showing.

The mill shed is an original 36x 36' barn with loft that I extended 16' on one end and 24' on the other. The lean to tractor and boat shed is 60 x22' The shop is two shops under one roof. 40x 80' and will be adding the 56x 80' lumber shed and equipment storage. This will make it a standard gable roof design. Then the new garage for her is almost finished at 40x 40' with a game room up stairs. I built her a 16x30x10 green house a few years ago out of used gymnasium steel windows set on cinder block walls. We built this place to die in so we don't plan on moving afetr all this work. Think goodness we sawed our on wood or I couldn't have accomplished this.

Dad always left his equipment and tools right where he finished using them. I knew from that experience that If I owned it, it would have a home/roof to protect it. So for I'm getting there.
Ya'll stay safe.
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

Kansas

Once owned a (mostly) flat roof that was the first building the business had. We always joked about not looking at where the roof leaked; it was where the roof didn't. Which wasn't many places. I would never ever want a flat roof again.  Way too much work keeping it up, you can't tell where the water is actually leaking in. This was an old grocery store from early years. Why those old main streets in Kansas had all those buildings with flat roofs, is beyond me. Guess they could pack em in closer.

thecfarm

You sure do have some sheds. But that is good. Mty answer would be,As many as it takes.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

pigman

A boy only needs one shed for his bike. A man needs many sheds to store all his big toys. 8)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

metalspinner

Around here we have something called a "Runoff Tax."  Any hard surface that rainwater cannot soak into the ground like roofs, pavement, etc., gets charged by the square foot. The tax is supposed to be held back for storm and water drainage projects around town. Satalite imagery helps them do their figuring. ::)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Al_Smith

Now let me tell about those greedy rascals .Through advice I had at the time there supposedly was no size dimensions on portable shed sizes or so I thought .

Come find out it was taxes on anything over 12 by 16 so the rascals charged me taxes on my 12 by 20 I have full of chainsaws and what not .I was annoyed to say the least . >:(

OneWithWood

The answer to the original question is:

One more than you have  :D ;D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!