iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How much for 2000bft of standing maple and beech?

Started by SeaBass, February 07, 2009, 07:02:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeaBass

Hey Guy's, i'm about to go see the farmer next door to ask him how much he would sell me about 2000bft of standing maple and beech, so my question is whats the value for that? I wont keep anything under 8" so the rest i will cut it into fire wood and give it back to him? I will also take care of moving the logs to my mill.

Thanks!

n.b: i'm from eastern ontario

jdtuttle

Check with a forester or the forest service. Here in NY the state puts out a stumpage list of what was sold in the past.
Have a great day

Kelvin

I've found that the reports on what mills pay on stumpage usually don't get people too interested in selling their logs.  When you are buying small amounts you have to pay a premium.  Most of my looking at people's woods go something like this.  "10 years ago i sold maple veneer for $1.50, so i'll sell you trees for $1.50 a bd ft"  Well, veneer is something that not too many logs make, and people don't understand that logs are sold on grade, so the butt log is worth quite a lot more than the rest of the tree.  Besides, most of the log reports i see are logs delivered to the mill, which includes logging and trucking and a No. 1 hard maple sawlog was bringing $.50 or so a bd ft delivered to the mill.  How much does logging and trucking cost the small guy?  I couldn't get anything close to that locally, so i don't buy logs this way.  I have to wait for trees to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and trade removal for the log, or still pay, but not as much.  If you log a whole woods with a logging crew and log trucks your cost per bd ft goes way down at getting it cut and trucked. 

If you neighbor has ever sold timber in the past he will be easier to deal with, as only people who have actually sold a number of times before understand that the raw resource is not the most valuable part of the equation, unless its veneer quality.  I can't afford it and don't buy it.   Hopefully he's a nice neighbor and seeing as you aren't bothering him much, he'll actually sell you some logs for what they are worth.  8"?  Wow, thats pretty small.  What grade lumber are you after?  Just anything?  Its amazing to see what loggers leave lying in the woods.  Usually 12" is about minimum on the small end for us.
Good luck,
KP

Thank You Sponsors!