iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chainsaw recommendation for cutting 5' diameter oak

Started by scsmith42, August 11, 2007, 10:44:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scsmith42

I'm starting to use my Peterson swingmill more and more, and have been able to start finding large oak logs for milling.  Currently I have a Stihl 044 with a 26" bar and a smaller saw for limbing.

What model of saw and bar length would be recommended for cutting through 5' hardwood?  It's a pretty good workout for the '044 and I am considering getting something larger.

Locally, there are a lot of Stihl dealers - so it's been a preferred brand for me because of the support.

Thx.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Dan_Shade

that's a big log.  If you're planning seeing many trees of that size, i'd look into a 660, if not an 880.  the nice thing with the 660, is some of the smaller parts (like bar nuts) will interchange with your 440.

it's tough to deal with logs of that size!  I know, I've been there!
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Dave Shepard

If you have a relationship with a good Stihl dealer I would agree with the 660 or 880 purchase. An 880 is a good chunk of change, but it may be the price you have to pay to salvage those big logs.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

metalspinner

I cut through a 64"er ( 8))with an old 066 and a 36" bar.  The bar does bog down on mine if I dig the spikes in with the bar buried.  It has to float in the cut to keep going.  Not sure if it's because of it's age and/or heavy use, or just not quite big enough. :-\
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

olyman

the biggest you can handle--thatill take some horsepressure to cut!!!!!

Ianab

Like the guys have said, a bigger saw (660 or 880) with a 36" bar would make life easier on those big logs.
But if you are only doing a few you could probably run a 36" bar and skip chain on your 440. The skip chain should stop the saw bogging down with the bigger bar. It wont cut as fast as a bigger saw with full comp chain, but it should gnaw it's way through anything in it's own time without any undue stress.

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

crtreedude

We have an 090 that seems to handle pretty much everything - just about need a block and tackle to lift it though. ;)
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Kevin

scsmith42

Thanks for the great advice. 

There's some interesting differences between my 044, the 660 and the 880.

There is about 1.5 HP difference between each model.

The 660 weighs about 2lbs more than my '044, or about 14% more.  However it's HP is 27% greater.

The 880 weighs a wopping 8 lbs more, or 50% more than my '044! YOWZER!  That's a lot of weight to gain another 3hp...  but looked at differently, the 880 has about 60% more HP than the 044, yet only 50% more weight.

The 660 stands out in terms of power to weight ratio though.  Hmm, lots to think about.

Dan_Shade

scott, I have an 066, it runs like a striped ass ape, i can put a rooster tail of BIG chips 20 feet behind me in oak.  I've seen an 088 in progress (with the kennedy oak which is documented on the forum).

If you think you are going to see many trees in that size range, then I'd go for the 088, if it's just a here and there, i'd get the 066.  it's tough to go wrong either way.

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Al_Smith

If you only have a few,maybe just this one,hang a 32" that 044  and gnaw away.It will cut it,just ease into it,as if you have a choice in the matter. :D I've ran a 32" on an 042,it pulls it but doesn't set any speed records.

crtreedude

Guys, you know he wants a new saw - let's not confuse things with irrelevant comments like his current saw will work...  :D

scsmith42

Harold -  :D

The other problem is that if I'm going to get a bigger saw, why just go up one measly size instead of the full Monty???   ;D

Burlkraft

I was kinda disappointed with my 660, until the redwood saw and I put a 42" bar on it. The thing runs and cuts better with the 42" bar than it did with a 28"...... :o :o :o

42" is about as big as I would want ta go. It's pretty tip heavy, but once ya get it cuttin' there's no lack of power. I cut a 44" hard maple with it and it cut like a dream..... ;D ;D ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Captain

Get an 880 then you're 1/2 way there on the dedicated slabber....

Captain

Woodcarver

I have an 066.  I've been happy with it.  I've cut a few large oaks with it.
Nothing in the size class you're talking about, Scott, but large enough to bury the 32" bar I have on it.  As Dan said, the chips were flying.
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

leweee

Quote from: scsmith42 on August 12, 2007, 06:35:25 AM
The other problem is that if I'm going to get a bigger saw, why just go up one measly size instead of the full Monty???   ;D

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=26194.0

Scott ....Dedicated slabber & buck those monster oak. ;D

Full Monty Table saw :D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Al_Smith

Quote from: leweee on August 12, 2007, 12:50:15 PM
Quote from: scsmith42 on August 12, 2007, 06:35:25 AM

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=26194.0

Scott ....Dedicated slabber & buck those monster oak. ;D Hmm,seems like I've seen that same picture some place else,well imagne that. ;)

Full Monty Table saw :D
It seems I've seen that same picture,perhaps some place else,hmm. ;D

limbrat

I got a Dolmar ps7900 with a 32and 28" bars for just under $900.
The power to weight ratio is unreal 79cc 6.3 bhp @ 13.5 lbs dry weight without a bar.
And the 660 is 91cc 7.0 bhp @ 16.8lbs dry weight without a bar. If you are going to be felling and bucking with it a ps7900 with a 32" bar is a excellent saw at a good price. If it is gona pull double duty on a chainsaw mill then a 880 or one of the big huskeys would be a better saw.
ben

Dave Shepard

The only thing I see wrong with that saw is the pull cord. It should have a kick starter on it. :)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

scsmith42

The heck with a kick start - how about an electric start???

That's a full monty all right!

Craig - re dedicated slabber, wouldn't I be better off with a higher HP stationary motor attached to the carriage, versus the chainsaw head?

Fred - I had a brain cramp - sorry that I answered you as Harold!

Scott

crtreedude

Not a problem.

It really comes down to what you are going to be doing - and how big of a budget do you have. We have 044, 066 and an 090 AV - We really like the 066 for most things and the 090 is a man killer. But, if you need the 090, you are sure glad it is around. Just don't try using it to trim limbs.  :o

So, you can get by with a 044, a 066 will do fine in general - but a big boy sure is nice if you need it. Not sure the 090 is still available up your way which is why people are saying the 088. (or perhaps they are only selling machine with double digits now?  ::) )

Dan_Shade

jokers

Quote from: Al_Smith on August 12, 2007, 02:06:55 PM
It seems I've seen that same picture,perhaps some place else,hmm. ;D
Yes, is that not Gypo Loggers dining room and table?

Thank You Sponsors!