iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New greenhouse build

Started by Picky2016, August 11, 2016, 07:19:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Picky2016

After building my arbor, then milling enough lumber for my buddies' trappers cabin, time to get back to my stuff. Another Timberframe mini build. This time, a greenhouse à la monitor barn style. Found a photo on the net and I just love it. Will not be as majestic as this one, but hopefully as beautiful. This one is 12x16 with 16 foot peak, I have a concrete slab in back yard from an old greenhouse. It will end up being about 8x12 with a 14 foot peak.

I have some reclaimed 6x6s from a neighbors greenhouse and I'll mill the rest myself. I got a line on some old farm windows. If that falls through, I'll build frames and cover in 15mil poly sheets. I'm shooting to finish structure before winter, and toss in windows in spring.

PRC

Looks awesome.  I'll definitely be following.  I love the roofline on that picture.   Can't wait to see your pics.
I have no idea what I'm doing, but if I keep reading and making mistakes, I just might get somewhere.

Haggis

I will be following this build as well. Like that look allot.

Picky2016

Picky2016

Started layout last night and got to notch a few timbers. Pics tonight! Also received an email from Ian at Searcy Timber Structures. He is the one that built the greenhouse in the above photo.

Picky2016

Short little jaunt yesterday and I return with 35 old school windows, from an old sawmill just outside of town. Circa 1950.

Few busted panes but I grabbed some extras. Just have to do some math to get them all infilled in timbers.

Picky2016

After getting another 20 things off honey do list for my weeks holidays, got back to timbering. Finished second beam and had help from my brother to put ends up today. Tied her all together and levelled it off. Getting there.

fishpharmer

Neat project, looks very very solid!
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Czech_Made

Picky2016

Pouring rain out today. Gotta line on some more windows, road trip!

Picky2016

Scored another 20 windows, more than enough now. One is a massive 40" x 60" 16 paner! Hope I can fit her in somewhere.

Picky2016

Got second level and lower roof on yesterday and today. Had to introduce scaffolding, ladder was a little sketchy up there.

PRC

Wow. I looked away from this thread for a couple days and BAM!  There's a greenhouse...Very cool. Can't wait for the next post.
I have no idea what I'm doing, but if I keep reading and making mistakes, I just might get somewhere.

Picky2016

Built all trusses today and installed just as the rain started again. Pic tomorrow. You all see some "store bought" lumber up there. I caved because I wanted the roof as flat and straight as could be.

Picky2016

Well, got some more done last night. Conned momma into doing some painting for me. Going with a grey wash to make the whole thing look aged, new wood as well as old. Then we will paint all windows white after a good pressure washing.

View from about 100 feet away.

South side.

You can notice a little outbuilding to the left. This was my mystery building forever. I thought it was a smoker because of pit and stove pipe running through the back. However, after cleaning out the concrete base for the greenhouse, I noticed a cast iron rad embedded in floor. Seems like the mystery building was an outdoor boiler that would heat water that circulated in greenhouse to keep it warm in the evenings. The old guy that lived here before was sort of an engineer apparently. Might revive some sort of heating system later.

And west side view of 'crows nest' lol.

Picky2016

Painting is coming and I fitted some windows in. Everything fits so far! Fingers crossed. Gonna buy some shares in Windex cause this sucker is going to need a lot! Haven't broke that part to wifey yet, lol.

Picky2016

Sun shining so little hard to see, but most of grey done. Started installing glass. When all done, will pressure wash windows and paint windows and frames white.

Picky2016

Three more windows to go, then door, then strap roof and install tin and we'll call her a greenhouse!

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Picky2016

Total tally so far, under 300$. Mostly 1x4s 2x6s and screws. My biggest expense was to be tin roof, but someone dropped off about 80 feet of odds n ends for me today! Thank you tin fairy!

Ljohnsaw

Just curious, you didn't want to do a glass roof as well?  That's what I think of when you say green house.  Will you have vents to exhaust excess heat in the peak of summer?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Picky2016

If you see my location, you can look up Timmins, Ontario, Canada and see what kinds of snow loads we get here in winter. 6-8 feet of snow in winter is not uncommon. I would have to bump her up to 1/2" tempered glass roof for sure, lol. The larger side faces due south so it will get 14 hours of full sun on that side alone. I think it will be fine. All the windows that will be in second story are/will be hinged for venting. Got the upper tin roof done today just in time for more rain. Tomorrow, upper windows then lower roof tin. Getting there. Have to hurry before winter, lol. Just finished, too dark for pic. Get one tomorrow.

Picky2016

Photo this morning with upper tin on. The plan has always been to have our tomato plants hanging from upper section in upside down baskets to free up some room on lower section. My neighbors greenhouse is overtaken with tomatoes so didn't want to run into same situation.

Picky2016

Lots o sunshine this weekend. Went out in the cool mornings to see if I could find any signs of mr partridge, nada. Afternoons spent painting and installing more tin and windows. Pic in the morning. Even had a chance to wire up a control box that will run a thermostatically controlled winch to open and close windows.

Picky2016

Pic through window so its a little grainy.

scouter Joe

Nice job Picky . Looks like it belongs there . scouter Joe

Geeg

Great job there!, I really like the shape and size of the greenhouse and looks like those windows were made for it. Are some of the windows on hinges to be able to open up on hot days?

Geeg
Retired Airbus 380 Captain. Timberking 2200,  Kioti RX6010PC,  Nyle Kiln KD250, Polaris WV850

Thank You Sponsors!