iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mechanics ?

Started by sandhills, September 08, 2017, 06:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandhills

I'm working on my '06 F250 steering which has been getting progressively worse, so far the only play I could find was in one tie rod end so I replaced that, I haven't had it aligned yet but it's as close as I could measure and count threads.  I've taken the steering wheel shaft off the gearbox and coupler/gearbox seem to be fine.  The trouble I have is hitting bumps it gets a lot of wobble and my steering wheel is now about a half a turn off from where it should be (it wasn't after putting on the tie rod).  So long story longer does anyone know how to disengage the air bag to take the steering wheel off so it doesn't go off in my face, or do I even dare try?  I've pretty well been through everything else up to this point and no I'm not driving it this way, but my neighbor's borrowed truck wants it back.  Thanks for any insight, I don't think it's in the steering gear but who knows?

sprucebunny

My experience has been that when you take it to be aligned, they can take care of the steering wheel.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

snowstorm

Do not take the steering wheel off. Just because you counted the threads dosent mean that tie rod  it aligned  as it should be. The alignment shop will center the wheel when they set the toe

Dana

The tie rod that comes off of the pitman arm is how you center the steering wheel. It's not adjusted by removing the steering wheel.
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

drobertson

There could be other issues with the front end, like the A-Frame bushings,,plus the tires,,but the wheel being off center sounds like a good alignment issue,  my thought is does it pull? one side or the other,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Stoneyacrefarm

Had a similar problem on a ford pickup.
The steering stabilizer was bad.
When ever you hit a bump or braked real hard it would shimmy hard. 
Try that next.
It is more than likely your problem.
Work hard. Be rewarded.

coxy

Quote from: Stoneyacrefarm on September 09, 2017, 11:28:57 PM
Had a similar problem on a ford pickup.
The steering stabilizer was bad.
When ever you hit a bump or braked real hard it would shimmy hard. 
Try that next.
It is more than likely your problem.
x2  after market tie rods and ends are different than  factory  on my old 96 there was a lock bolt screw type thing with a hex head on the steering box that I tightened a little and it took 40% of my  shimmy out   also found out one of the tires was bad

thecfarm

Had a Subaru that had some frontend work done. That steering wheel was a mess. After a line up,back to where it use to be.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

snowstorm

Is this 4x4? Diesel? The diesel used the power steering pump to boast the brakes. Some steered hard some didn't. I had a 04 that was bad. I have a 04 f550 that isn't bad. The screw and lock nut on the box will tighten the play up. But don't go to far. There is one wide spline on the shaft that has to line up with the one on the box. You said you had it off. That has sealed wheel bearings are they Ok? They last about 100k.ball joints tight? If 4x4 track bar bushings tight?

sandhills

To answer a few questions it's not a diesel, the tie rod end I replaced was the one connected to the pitman arm but all else seemed to be good/tight (bushings, ball joints, whatnot), the shaft going into the gearbox on this one actually has a "flat side" to it no way it can go on wrong.  I replaced the other tie rod end yesterday, it did have a very slight amount of play compared to the new ones but I quit messing around counting threads and measuring and just set alignment by eyeballing it  ::).  I drove it about 60 miles or so since then and it's MUCH better although the steering wheel is still 1/2 a turn off which goes back to what Dana said, I screwed that up apparently, so off to get it aligned, thanks guys.

snowstorm

Around here you would have a hard time finding a 2 wheel drive truck.

sandhills

Sorry Snowstorm, it is a 4x4, 5.4 engine, it does drive good now but needs an alignment now for sure.  I was hoping to make it to the next set of tires because they do it for free then but no such luck in this case.

Thank You Sponsors!