iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Large Oak Trees in Fairfield CT. Need Help

Started by Stan P, November 08, 2005, 05:23:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan P

Hi Everyone,

I had two large oak trees fall in the last storm.  One about 46 inches at the stump, the other 32.  both very healthy before the wind storm.  Used a chainsaw most of my life, but it would be a shame to make firewood out of these beauties.  Anyone interested in taking this job for money and/or wood.  If I had enough money and space I would love to buy one of those Peterson ATS mills as I do have a woodlot upstate.   

thanks

Stan

Dan_Shade

Welcome to the forum!

CT is a hike from here for me, i'm sure you'll find a taker locally.  I take it you are interested in having it sawn on shares? does the diameter measure the flare of the tree, or was it measured a few feet up from the base?

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Ga_Boy

Dan,

What do you think, road trip to Ct?

We can whittle that log down to dust and lumber in a half day.

10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

Ga_Boy

Stan,

How close to Norton, MA are you?

Captain is located there he has a Peterson 8" WPF.

Mark

Dan_Shade

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

PKAMWood

Stan, I returned your call and email earlier this evening.  Like I said in my email, my WoodMizer will only do a 36" log (for a 24" cant) and I'd probably have to quarter the larger one.

It's tough to quote a job sight unseen... I've been playing pickup sticks far too often lately (I'd rather be cutting than moving the logs around!)

-Paul

Dan_Shade

with logs that big stuck out in the woods, a guy with a log arch and an alaskan is the easiest way to get them out of the woods, or find somebody with a winch.

if there is a guy locally with a swing blade, you'll be set.  they are VERY mobile, i about fell down when I saw Mark set his up a while back.

Captain

I'm trying to setup Stan with a customer in Guilford, CT just down the street.

If I can't, you know the Captain will travel.... :)

Captain

Stan P

Thanks for all the questions.  Wish I had been online.

I measured the tree about 3 feet from where the ground would have been if it hadnt got knocked over by the wind. (nice storm)  I think the tree came down cause we had about 10 days of rain beforehand to soften things up nicely.

Fairfield is 150 miles from Norton MA.  (is that where the Captain is)  If any takers, I can throw in a days hunting for whitetail deer in Northern CT.

Craig has been very helpful, trying to hook me up with a swingblader locally, but I would do better than pay for gas and food. 

Stan

Stan P

Dan, sawn on shares, or paying for the work.  I really do not need that much nice oak, but it would be a sin not to use the trees.  I plan on building a hunting camp in the woods next spring, but I would most likely knock over a couple nice old white pines for that job.  That is of course assuming I can figure this stuff out.  By the way, any advice on that front would be appreciated if you have any. 

Does a winch to pull one of these logs, which I imagine would be at least a ton exist?  One log is in the woods, the other in my front yard, still standing.  The wind left about 70 feet of stump and tore off the two large parts of the tree up at the Y.

Paul. Got the message. Thanks.

Stan

raycon

Where abouts in Fairfield county are you? Inlaws are near black rock tpke in Fairfield. If you're near there we might be able to work something out. If the trees are white oak I may be interested in some wood as well. Right now things are tight with holidays coming up and not much daylight .

I'll stop in and see John (Guilford Swing blader) I've been wanting to see a live demo for a while now.

PKamwood we can't be to far from one another.

Lot of stuff..

Stan P

hi Raycon,

I am in the town of Fairfield. Blackrock is only about 5 miles away.  I am pretty sure the large tree is white oak. (now I really sound like a dip sh t)  Where are you? 
Stan

Dan_Shade

check the leaves, if it still has any stuck on there... white oak has round tips on the leaves, red oak has pointy tips.

white oak also has "scaly" bark on it, red oak has "tight" bark.

raycon

I'm up near Norwich as well (East Haddam) but I travel down that way often and the mill trailers well.
Inlaws live over on Godfrey Rd. 

Lot of stuff..

Stan P

thanks Dan.  Is white oak so much better than red?
Will let you all know tonight. 
Raycon, what kind of mill do  you have?

raycon

Stan the mill is a Woodmizer LT 40 Hydraulic. 

Is white oak so much better than red?

For me its a personnal preference. Over all red oak is  more popular  but in the niche I try to fill it has little use --which means I have plenty of it. 
Lot of stuff..

Ga_Boy

Stan,

By your post I am not sure if you know this, but Craig Blake is AKA Captian on this forum.

If you did know this sorry for pointing out the obvisous.

Mark

Stan P

Hear you Ray, and will let you know tonight. 

thanks Mark,  I did figure that out after a while. 

raycon

I stopped in on John (Guilford  Peterson mill owner )at lunch.
Wrangled him into possibly slabbing a 50" + maple (depends on how it looks once its dropped). It'll be milled up in Branford if you're interested in offbearing I mean watching.

If you're shopping for a swing mill that might be a good time to see one in action. That is if Craig or John does not cut the large oak for you on site.

Lot of stuff..

Stan P

thanks Ray.  would  like to do that.  Let me know when you plan to do the work. 

Stan P

thanks for the info.  it looks like both these trees are red oak.  the smaller tree has much thinner jagged leaves

Stan P

Any suggestions for uses for Red Oak?  (other than firewood)
could I use it to resurface a bridge outside if I paint it?

thanks

Stan

Dan_Shade

many people like it for woodworking projects.

raycon

Bridge what kind of bridge -- cool? 
Black Locust or white oak would be my first 2 choices talkng a NE bridge with ground contact -- not on the ground Red oak may be OK.
Just don't use fastener that'll rust in oak. I'd use the red oak l but it would not be at the top of my list. I'm a big advocate of use what you got.

Lot of stuff..

Stan P

thanks for the input.  I have 3 small bridges that pass through my woodlot. ( the last owner had a lot more money to waste than I ever will)  Metal supports underneath, 2 ibeams and 2 cross ties.  only about 10-12 feet long each.  The wood he used was untreated and didnt last long.  he used metal screws which are rusted tight. 

Stan P

raycon

Lot of stuff..

HARLEYRIDER

Quote from: Stan P on November 10, 2005, 11:13:52 AM
Any suggestions for uses for Red Oak?  (other than firewood)
could I use it to resurface a bridge outside if I paint it?

thanks

Stan

oak flooring for your cabin...floor joists and rafters would look nice and be stronger than heck.....and you could use the white oak planks as money to pay people.  heck...I just paid $4.00 per sq ft for white oak flooring
Greenwoods Timberworks

Thank You Sponsors!