iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Where to learn about identifying and picking wild mushrooms?

Started by LOGDOG, July 05, 2010, 12:01:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LOGDOG

I know some here pick wild mushrooms and enjoy them on the table each year. I've always wanted to learn how to accurately identify the safe ones from the poisonous ones. For those of you who are maybe seasoned at picking wild mushrooms, can you tell me where you got your knowledge from? Books or pocket guides you favor, etc.

Thanks! :)

trapper

stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

LOGDOG

Thanks Trapper. What part of WI are you from? I grew up there and still have family there?

SwampDonkey

The Ontario government has an excellent mushroom book, it's like an encyclopedia identifying the mushrooms and which can be eaten. I suspect there are some written up by a university of state agency down your way. There is also Peterson's Field Guide. But, don't go it alone, learn from an expert and use the book as a companion.

http://www.fedpubs.com/subject/nature/mushrooms.htm

This are for Ontario and eastern Canada and New England. It's listed on Amazon as well.  I have an older copy that my brother laid claim to. :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!