iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing oak with my lucas 618

Started by Peder McElroy, March 08, 2010, 01:51:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peder McElroy

I have some large oak logs that have been cut  down about 9 months ago,think they will be too hard to mill?

ErikC

If they were cut 9 months ago, that was in June last year. They are probably pretty green inside still if of any size. Besides that, a swingmill can cut the hardest, driest wood just fine if you keep it sharp and go a little slower. ;D Also some water in the tank. You won't have any problem with these. :) :)
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

scsmith42

Quote from: Peder McElroy on March 08, 2010, 01:51:19 PM
I have some large oak logs that have been cut  down about 9 months ago,think they will be too hard to mill?

Not at all.  I cut older oak logs all of the time with my Peterson.  You'll probably lose the sapwood, but that's not big deal.  Also, if you flat saw the perimeter boards expect some drying degrade in the kiln, due to the fact that they've already started drying.  The heart wood should be fine.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

ladylake

Oak less than a year old is like a spring chicken, wait untill you get some 15 year old white oak with no bark and cracks about 2 to 3 inches in then you'll have some tough sawing. I had to change the blade every hour on that job.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Ianab

No worries. The Lucas is designed to eat Aussie hardwoods that make Oak look like a softwood.

Keep the cooling water flowing, take your time and they will gnaw though just about anything.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

sigidi

Peder you'll have no trouble with them  8)

Just remember to stop and take pics while you're doing it ;D :D
Always willing to help - Allan

Thank You Sponsors!