iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bangor.ME NEFP EXPO May 13-14 2005

Started by thecfarm, January 31, 2005, 09:20:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

Northeastern Forest Products Equipment in Bangor,Me May 13-14 2005 at Bass Park.If you can make it,it will be a day well spent.Lots of toys to look at.Went to the one 2 years ago and had a great time.Wish they had it in Maine every year.Will be looking at outdoor furnanaces this time.Need to heat the wife's greenhouse a little cheaper.Here's a website for the Expo www.nefpexpo.com  Not much infro,but you can register for free or it will cost you $5 to get in.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Mongo

Cool, thanks for the info!  I'm stuck in TX at the moment, but should be in Maine at the time of the show, so I went ahead and registerd. :)

Barkman

Signed the whole family up.  I don't know who will be more excited to see all the equipment my 4 year old boy or his dad? ;D 
By the way thecfarm, we are heating our home with a Central Boiler. Don't know if they'll be there, but we're happy with ours so far.

Captain

OK, now who has some LOGS they want sawn up at the show??

Captain

Ed_K

Cfarm, do you live in bangor, or close by? We're looking for a motel close by. Last time we did it online and ended up 25 mi out.
Any sugestions would be appreciated.
Ed K
Ed K

thecfarm

I live about 1 1/2 hours away.Don't  really know the area. :-\Wish I could be more helpful to you.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Captain

Hey ED, there are 2 Holiday Inns in town, a Fairfield Inn and a Ramada on Odlin Road, and a Hampton Inn with a couple of others near the airport.

I'm staying at the Fairfield.

Captain

Barkman

Hey Captain,

Are you serious about wanting logs brought to the show to be sawn?  Assuming all goes well, I might be able to get you some 8.5' logs up there.  It would only be a few, since I'd be hauling them up in a 1/2 ton pickup.

Captain

Bring them on up, Barkman, if you want them sawn.  A few more folks with a few logs and I won't have to bring any from Massachusettes. smiley_thumbsup  All I ask is for a confirmation they will be there...DonT want to run short....

Captain

Barkman

Well Captain, sorry I took so long to get back to you.  I didn't want to commit to anything until I was sure I'd be able to deliver.  Do you have any preferences about what you saw?  I have white birch, black cherry, ash, red maple, and plenty of white pine that I could bring.  What is your minimum and maximum diameters?

Captain

Thanks Barkman!! Hey I'll cut anything, just give me a count I can figure in...

I don't like to challenge anything less than 6".  If you can get it there in a 1/2 ton pickup, I can saw it!!

Captain

Barkman

Actually may be bringing a 1 ton dump.  If so, I'll bring more.  Just have to work out the seating arrangements for three in a cab with central hydraulic controls on the center hump.  :D

sprucebunny

I've had my free pass for several weeks ;D I'm really looking forward to seeing lots of sawmills and forestry products on next Friday. ( Please....no one mention the date and Friday in the same sentence smiley_ghost ;D )

See ya there ;D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Barkman

Well Captain I ran into some very nice red oak logs.  I've got four 8 footers 12-20 inches in diameter.  I can probably get a few smaller ones (8-12")too, so figure me in for 6-8 total.  See ya in Bangor!

Captain

No problem, Barkman.  We'll probably have to get them in after show close on Friday if that is the day you are coming, and cut them Saturday.

Geez, Sprucebunny.  You had to point that out....

Captain

Barkman

We were planning to come Saturday only.  I hope that works for you.  Still have to work my day job on Friday. 

Captain

You'll have to get there early to get the logs in on Saturday, they close the grounds 1/2 hour before opening for spectators.  I'll check on the times  :P

Captain

isawlogs

I plan on going ... will be there on friday  and saturday . Going to take a few days off and figured it would be a nice place to spend them ...   8)
I got my forum hat all shined up and will have it on ...  ;D  :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Vermonter

Finally, some solid plans.  Looks like wiam and I will be over on Saturday.  I'll be staying at his house on Friday night to cut down my drive a little bit.  We'll see how long the trip takes, I may have to keep the doors locked when we go past the tractor dealers and Labonnville outlet, else it'll take all day to get across New Hampshire.  I'm not sure whether to wear my Peterson hat or my new Massey Ferguson one.
New homestead

thecfarm

I will be there on Friday.Will be a great day.I will have my C Farm hat on,since I don't have a FF hat.

Captain

Well, the bags are packed, just have to throw a few things in the trailer and head off in the morning.  See you at the Peterson Tent, Forestry Forum!!

Captain

thecfarm

Captain,mind if I stop in and so hello?Looks like a good day tomorrow,no rain at least.

Jim_Rogers

A cold and windy day in Bangor Maine

Well it was sunny but cold and windy. I must admit the wind blew so hard it pushed me off my balance at lease once or twice.

The sawdust was surely flying.

Here are some photos:

Left to right, by user name, SruceBunny, Isawlogs, Neslrite, Jim_Rogers, Captain.

Also:

Captain is showing me his "Silver One". The one and only "Silver" painted LogRite Peavey.

They all wondered why I don't own a "LogRite" peavey, yet.

I told them a don't need one, I just need a new handle...........

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Vermonter

What a long strange trip it was.
Friday: Bad accident on route 2, stuck in traffic for an hour and a half.  This may not mean much to most, but this is Vermont.  We don't usually do that here.  Looking forward to a trip to the country to relax and slow down a little bit.  Got to wiam's about 6:00pm, got chased around by a raccoon (it didn't break the skin) until will got a shot off.  Unexpected adrenaline rush #1.
Got up in the morning, toast and maple butter.  Mmmmmm.  On the road about 6:30.   Shoulda brought a map.  Didn't take the turn I was told to take, add 1.5 hours of driving to the formula.  Almost run over in the parking lot of the gas station.  Unexpected adrenaline rush #2.
Got to the show about 12:30.  Checked out the stuff inside (never done that).  Saw sprucebunny, Isawlogs, Captain, (and others, but I forgot, although sprucebunny was taking some pics )  Tried to resist picking up brochures, but I renewed my Sawmill and Woodlot subscription and had to pick up my missed copies.  Wiam spotted keychains at the Carlton Sawchain booth.  Made from a link of chromed 60 chain.  Decided it would make a great bottle opener.
Checked out the big stuff outside, liked the supersplitter log splitter (rack and pinion drive rather than hydraulics) and the firewood wrappers (could you build one for less than $2300?)
Checked out the logrite display and firewood processers.  Gave Captain a hand picking up the Peterson display. 
Drove south one exit, went in the back door to an awesome truckstop for dinner.  Went to pay the bills and found that the front of the restaurant was the "public" section and the back was for truckers.  There was a long line out there, but we got right to a table in the back.
Started driving back.  Dumptruck decides to take his half of the road out of the middle.  Unexpected adrenaline rush #3.
Stop in Mexico.  (Maine that is, there's a Labonnville outlet there).  Had an obviously single young woman approach us, wondering why we would be in a place like this.   Told us that it is a "dead" town.  Her name was Ashley, and couldn't seem to figure out the message when she told me she was stuck in town and I asked her if she knew how to hitchhike.  She also didn't like it when I told her that thousands of people work 50 weeks a year just to be able to vacation in a place like this for 2 weeks.  This was the second person who had told us this, after I asked if it was common to have a liquor store in the gas station, and the young woman rattled off 5 liquor stores with about a mile.   
Drove a while longer.  Toyota pickup decides to take their half of the road out of the middle.  Unexpected adrenaline rush #4.
Unexpected adrenaline rush #5: Large moose in the middle of the road after leaving NH and entering VT.  For those of you who haven't driven with moose on the road, they are very difficult to see, their eyes don't reflect like deer, and they're a mixture of asphalt gray, tree brown, and night black.  Missed him.
Trip totals:
Sawmills: 5 (Peterson, Baker, Wudmiser, Thomas, Hudson)
Processors: 6 (Timberwolf, CordKing, Built-rite, Blockbuster (nice)
Moisture meters: 0 (wasn't I supposed to be looking for one?)
Gasoline: 1.5 tanks (next year it's wiam's turn.  Rumor has it the Expo will be in Vermont)
Wildlife:
1 rabid raccoon, 3 turkeys, 3 deer, 1 cat, 1 fox, 1 Moose, and 1 20 year old chick in Mexico, Maine

Wiam and Sprucebunny had cameras, so I have no proof.  Talk to you soon,

New homestead

Furby

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Fun eh? ;D
Well ya made it home in one piece, that's the important thing! ;)

Thank You Sponsors!