iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

SHOOTOUT

Started by AtLast, July 20, 2005, 11:14:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AtLast

Does ANYONE know the shootout results?????

Furby

Been waiting too hear them myself.

Captain

TN_man

Is that it? Just yes?
Are you under oath or something? ???
WM LT-20 solar-kiln Case 885 4x4 w/ front end loader  80 acre farm  little time or money

raycon

Here is a link to the slow loading results.  Takes a minute or 2 to load.
http://sawmillmag.com/Shoot-Out_Results_2005.pdf

The BF/Hour #'s  are high. Looks like Baker may have won but it might be worth waiting for the write up in August/Septembers sawmill & woodlot mag for details.

Lot of stuff..

Bibbyman

Look like all these guys were working their butts off!  8)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

beenthere

Interesting numbers.
Surprised there were not more than one that managed to get more lumber recovery than the log scale.  I'm interested in what log scale was used?  Was it gross scale or net?

Also, lumber tally to 'tenths' of a board foot? That normal?

And 'yield' in 2 decimal accuracy when rounded off to a whole number?  (I know, that is just me getting picky  :) ).

I suspect on such a limited 'one-time' shot, many variables creep in that make any type of comparison from one mill to another just not 'fair'.  Such is like the 'Great Outdoor Games" last weekend, when the contestants running across the logs in the water fell in, and simply could not get back on to the logs to finish their run. Made for some big losses in points, but that's competition. (Hope Lance doesn't falter in his last three days of the Tour de France. Sounds like he is doing okay).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Captain

And, as you can see, we had a LOT of miscuts.  I'll let somebody who was there for the lumber scaling comment.....I was not on hand.  Seems we had a bad combination of rookie shootout sawyer (me) and incorrect vertical sizing scale.  It will be interesting to see how the article is written up, they threw out over 100BF of our stuff for being too thick.  Our recovery was really much better than it reads, but the boards were "too thick" for the grader.

Captain

Dan_Shade

I guess everything has a learning curve.  Will you get an automatic invite back next year?
You'll certainly do better, a shootout is a good thing to showcase your abilities, but it doesn't tell the whole story.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Tom

I don't think anybody has to worry about an invite.  :D   The Shootout "is' the show and they need contestants.

Dan_Shade

hehehe, I'll take my hudson, everybody else will be finished up as I finish dogging my log in place :-D
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

UNCLEBUCK

I have a 671 detroit diesel on my circular mill now and a huge open flight elevator for sawdust removal and am a few days away from trying it out . I bet Jeffs and Beenthere"s and Rons total board footage at the end of the day on my old mill would out number my attempts by far just because I am still practicing how to saw dimensional lumber . I had those go-no-go gauges to check accuracy when I first started but all the boards come out exact . I cant wait until I know what I am doing !  ;D  Then I might go to a shootout and just watch and learn more !   Hey whens yooper night ?  ???
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Captain

You bet Peterson will be in the Shootout.  As for me?  Well...gonna have to prove my potential PROBABLY in New Zealand this winter....err summer. :)

Captain

Arthur

Captian

I guess that the swingers should have done what the bandsaws did and have a second machine.

2/3ths of our boards where just a fraction over.  the judge did comment on our consistance though.  Nice little planer whould have ment all the boards would have been right size.

I understand that the use of edgers is going to be noted in the report.

Any changes you think that you would like to see please as a consumer or a manufacture let Walter know or email me and I will pass them on.

cheers

arthur

DanG

Captain, how much too thick were your boards?  How much variation was allowed?

Maybe they should score this thing with the cost of the mill factored in.  Wonder if the big boys would have used the edgers if they were penalized by the extra cost?

The magazine folks insist that it is not a competition, but a demonstration.  I tend to agree, and it was pretty obvious to the folks who were there.  However, in the "after action" reports from the past, it was made to look more like a competition.  I hope they will note the fact that some of the bandmills used edgers, prominently.   It sure cut down on their times.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

sawguy21

UNCLEBUCK I am not a sawyer but that 6-71 seems like pretty serious power for a mill. What size blade(s) are you running?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Furby

Quote from: DanG on July 22, 2005, 08:21:49 AM
The magazine folks insist that it is not a competition, but a demonstration. I tend to agree, and it was pretty obvious to the folks who were there. However, in the "after action" reports from the past, it was made to look more like a competition. I hope they will note the fact that some of the bandmills used edgers, prominently. It sure cut down on their times.

Yup, and when all the info is put out there in one place, it sure as heck will look like a competition.

Arthur

Furby

Walter (the newish editor) will publish the results which like you say will look like a competition but he is also giving a rightup of the shootout with proper demonstration editorial.  He will be pointing out the pros and cons of each mill to try and give a realistic view of them.

Next one may or maynot have some modifications so if you think of anything please speakup.

Walter wishes to improve the show for the benefit of all.

arthur

Kirk_Allen

Just got this months issue of sawmill and woodlot.

NOTHING in this issue about the shootout.

Hey captain, I watched them grade your boards and I could not believe the guy doing the grading.  He would take his go-no-go gauge and run it down the lenght of the board checking thickness.  On some boards if the gauge stopped sliding down the board he would throw it out for being to thick in 1 tiny spot.  Were talking less than a 1/16th of an inch.  If you put some slight pressure on the gauge it would go, but he would not count it.  It was rather pathetic in my opnoin.   

I know its tuff to be an objective grader in that environment but some things just didnt seem right when it came to the grading.  I only watched them grade one other stack from a bandmill and it appeared he was not nearly as critical. 

Fla._Deadheader

Maybe he thought the shootout was featuring PLANERS ???  ::) ::)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Captain

Thaks Kirk, I think some others had the same observation.

It won't happen again.   ;)

Captain

beenthere

I could see throwing out (not tallying) thin boards as they are mis-cut lumber. But think they should at least tally thick boards, as they will still make boards, albeit they will need further re-manufacture.  The thick lumber will show up in reducing the lumber recovery, as there will be fewer boards recovered from the log. No point in penalizing further than that, IMO.
But it's like all games we 'play', there must be rules, and sometimes it takes a bit of time to work them out.

Hope it can all be worked out so all can have a good time 'demonstrating' in the future.  :)  I look forward to someday seeing such a demo.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Sawing Logz

I can not wait to see the story on this one? If the boards that I saw were inclueded in these counts of board feet I will be shocked. Alot of thick and thin lumber from pushing the mills hard. Yes in some cases I could catch a nice wave off these.

Just my thoughts,

Jeff
City Forrest Treecycler

doublecut

I could see throwing out (not tallying) thin boards as they are mis-cut lumber. But think they should at least tally thick boards, as they will still make boards
HAve to agree with ya beenthere.
They expect these mills to do what planers were invented for. For the most part it is the width that i would be most concerned with. When a 2x4 or 2x6 is cut then do you ya put the board on the flat or on edge when building a wall. If the thickness is alittle out who cares.It is the 6 " that is critical when constructing your wall. The thickness would be important say when building a deck, but then who is going to build a deck with rough lumber.  Wouldn't you plane at least one side?
Can't agree with the graders but yes there has to be rules.
doublecut

Arthur

Lindsay

maybe next year we have one of your planers on our site so we can make sure of the 1".

Quote from: beenthere on July 22, 2005, 10:00:59 PM
I could see throwing out (not tallying) thin boards as they are mis-cut lumber. But think they should at least tally thick boards, as they will still make boards, albeit they will need further re-manufacture.  The thick lumber will show up in reducing the lumber recovery, as there will be fewer boards recovered from the log.

should we have a 1" and a 2" board so that if undersize on the 2" its down sized to a 1". same for width downsize the 10" to 8", 8" to 6" etc,etc.

arthur

Thank You Sponsors!