iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

AGRIRAMA

Started by getoverit, December 11, 2005, 01:49:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

getoverit

I made a trip over to Agrirama (Georgia's history of agriculture) in Tifton Georgia yesterday and took a few pictures of their steam operated sawmill. Thought y'all would like a look back into history :).

Hope y'all enjoy the pics  8)
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

doublecut

Looks good .Thanks. How far from atlanta is that. Next time I'm through i would like to have a look in person . Just love that old stuff.
doublecut

getoverit

Tifton is about 2 1/2 to 3 hours south of Atlanta and not far from the florida/georgia border on I-75. There is a LOT more to it than the sawmill, but I thought this was more of an on-topic post for this forum. For those of you that like railroads, there is also a working narrow guage steam locomotive that you can get a ride on. They have alot of wood working craftsmen making things to sell also. Tifton was started as a stop-off point between atlanta and florida, and Mr Tift's first business there was a sawmill. It is interesting to know that a town grew around a sawmill.

Tom

when you were at Moultrie, your motel was probably right down the street, Lindsey.  It's a big fairground on I-75. :)

getoverit

Somehow I forgot to mention that one the way home, near Pearson, that one of the local Doe Deer fell in love with my truck (the little gold one you like so much Tom). It was a "smashing" love story that left her dazed and confuzed, and faiting by the side of the road. The truck lost a headlight, front fender, passenger door and rear quater panel since it had her deep impression in it. A call to State Farm Insurance on Monday should help with the love affair though.

doublecut

Thanks tom . I remeber now. We had to go past the turn off to get to sylvestor.
Will stop in next year
doublecut

getoverit

One other thing:

They have Mr. Tift's original home preserved there, and alot of the home was natural finished wood. One room was totally made out of "curly" pine. I dont think I had ever seen this type of pine before. Even the furniture and fireplace mantle were made out of it.

Anybody know how to tell if a pine tree has "curly" wood?

Tom

Yes!   Open it up.  :D

Some pines have a series of rings around them and that can produce a little curl from the outside edges of the log, but, real curl is a hidden secret and occurs very seldomly.  To open a log and find it is a real "Wow!" factor.

Few people know of the value of curly pine and it ends up on the sides of houses and decking wagons.

Fla._Deadheader

Actually, one way to tell from the outside is, there will be a lot of ''bumps'' on the outside of the log. The more profuse and larger sizes the bumps, the better the ''Curly'' effect.

We found a couple in the river. Not a LOT of curly, but, we got 3-4 boards that were neat. It occurs mostly to the outside part of the log. We lose some from the water saturation in the river.

In the old archives, I posted a couple of photos. Can't find the old archives anymore  ::) ::) ::)

My photos are stored on my computer, in the middle of the Caribbean.  ::) :(
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

getoverit

I understand. This was really pretty stuff, and I had never seen it before. I think if I ever do get to saw some pine I'll be on the lookout for it.

Thank You Sponsors!