iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Aspenware and the Forestry Forum Pig Roast

Started by Jeff, August 06, 2013, 09:01:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Wouldn't it be cool if at a Forestry Forum pigroast you could feast with wooden cutlery instead of plastic?  Well we did!  A few weeks before the pigroast I got a message asking me if we would like to do just that. Aspenware is made from aspen, paper birch and poplar and it is possible for a single log to yield up to 20,000 individual knives, forks or spoons. The good folks at Aspenware provided enough of their product to enable everyone to use it for all the meals provided at this years pigroast.  They sent some ahead of time for me to "test" and I found it to be just as good if not better than plastic.  We had steak one night and I was able to cut my steak with it!  Everyone at the pigroast seemed to think it was super cool and very functional when I poled them before our door prize part of the day.

So, a huge thanks and thumbs up to Aspenware from the Forestry Forum!

http://aspenware.ca/
https://www.facebook.com/Aspenware

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jim_Rogers

Do you save them to use again? or do you just burn them in the fire pit?
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Jeff

They are meant to be single use and compostable, however they will stand up to a light cleaning by a quick wash and wipe by hand, which we have done with some for our own use as we use them. They won't stand a soaking in the sink or a trip through a dishwasher as that will begin the process of breaking them down as they were designed. It only takes about 30 days of composting to have them disappear completely.  For pigroast purposes, we tried to add them to our 3 day Pig Roast Bonfire for some additional fuel after the intended use. 8)

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Den Socling

I'm wondering how the utensils are made, Jeff. Do they look like they are pressed from thin veneer? I can't imagine any way to machine them. They must be punched and pressed but why do they keep their shape? Pretty interesting.

Jeff

Den Socling

Super high tech manufacturing of a low tech product. They must have a fortune invested in equipment. Hope it pays off. It looks like a nice product.

Jim_Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

martyinmi

They are really practical utensils. I felt a little guilty after the meal Friday night, as I licked mine clean and stuck them in my pocket to take home and show my son. My conscience got the best of me, so I told Tammy that I hoped it was ok for me to take them with me. :embarassed: She said it was fine, and that they were throw utensils away anyway.
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

Magicman

I loved it, and even found a fork with a tiny knot in it.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

thecfarm

Seems like Foster's in Wilton,ME use to make wooden ware.They are only about 20 minutes from me.Now it's a diffeant company making plastic ware. The only wood place that I can think of is in New Vineyard now.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Texas Ranger

and do you remember the little wooden spoons in the ice cream cups?
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

Quote from: Texas Ranger on August 06, 2013, 09:16:03 PM
and do you remember the little wooden spoons in the ice cream cups?

Those weren't hardly spoons.

doctorb

Those ice cream little wooden spatulas were entirely forgettable and could hardly be called spoons.  I thought this stuff was pretty cool.  The knives cut very well.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

magicmikey

Thank you Jeff for accepting the invitation to supply cutlery, I think it fits with the FF theme. 8) 8)

To answer your question Den, they are two sheets of veneer glued together, punched, pressed and given a bit of a wax coating. Thanks for the wishes, time will tell. :)
mike

SwampDonkey

Great stuff Mike.  :) I didn't make it to the roast this year, but I trust the crowd that put them through the cuisine. ;D

If you ever visit a berry field here to pick strawberries and raspberries we still use aspen boxes. In the store, if it's an aspen box it's from the Maritimes. Anything in plastic is from outside the region or imported. ;) Heck making a berry box is pretty low tech, and done in back yard sheds.  Even have wooden trays with carry handle to carry 6 at a time. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

The websites that Jeff posted above are very good reads.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

I was showing Pat the website and now I'll have to order some for the Chickin Crispin.   ;D

thecfarm

Berry boxes are mostly those rough green ones. You are right,the plastic ones are imports.

petefrom bearswamp

Thanks for the link Jeff.
I just ordered 25 of each to try them.
I think the Alumni Assoc of  the NYS Ranger School at Wanakena may find these interesting  and possibly put a forest product to good use for the annual alumni weekend at the campus.. (which unfortunately always coincides with the pig roast.) Maybe I can skip one sometime and join Moosehunter in a car pool to attend.
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Shotgun

Pete,

Michigan Technological University, where Ron Scott and I got our forestry degree, also has their university-wide reunion on the exact same weekend as the pig roast.  Some times it's hard to win.  On our 50th reunion we missed the pig roast.  We just couldn't miss our 50th.  Do you think there was a plot against foresters?    :D

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

submarinesailor

Quote from: Shotgun on August 07, 2013, 04:40:29 PM
Do you think there was a plot against foresters?    :D   Norm

Yes - by people who love to work in the forest. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D ::)

Bruce

Qweaver

I want to order 500 of each for our family reunion.  I went to Verterra's site and the cheapest listing was "sustainably served"  I have no idea what that means.  I guess I will have to call Verterra tomorrow.  They are also available on Amazon, but they are very costly there.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Thank You Sponsors!