iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Primex Tires

Started by rowtohoe, February 13, 2014, 08:41:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowtohoe

Hello,  This is my first day here so excuse me if I do not work the site correctly. Looking to purchase for new 18.4 x 34 forestry tires. I am looking at Primex. Does anyone have an
on them?

rowtohoe

Maine logger88

Welcome to the forestry forum you will get a lot of usefull info here! As for your question I have no experience with primex tires so I'm not qualified to answer
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

rowtohoe

Thanks for the encouragement maine logger . I am more of a farmer than a logger.  I have had an old 540a for many years. Finally I need new tires.  I cannot believe the prices! Was hoping to save a few $ with an off brand.

thecfarm

rowtohoe,welcome to the forum. I sure don't know. But you did say farmer. Someone might want to know,can you be careful around your stumps and such? Or you you run over all that you can? From past posts cheaper is not always better.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Corley5

I looked into them last fall when I needed an 18.4X26.  They were about 500 bucks less than a Firestone but it would have required a trip downstate to get one.  I bought the Firestone but if I could have had a Primex closer to home I'd have tried one  :) 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

rowtohoe

My land is pretty hilly and rocky. Tough to avoid stumps and rocks. Just not sure for the amount that I use the skidder I need to spend 8,500 dollars on tires. Machine is not worth much more than that!

1270d

depending on where you re located, sometimes there is decent tires on craigslist.  might be a good thing if you arent in too big of a hurry also.

barbender

Do you have chains on your machine? I'd personally go that route before new tires, shoots, you might even look around and find a used set of chains. If you were out making money with your machine every day I'd say just get new tires, but for farm use they are hard to justify. BTW, most posts I've read on here seem to suggest you are money ahead going with the Firestones.
Too many irons in the fire

chevytaHOE5674

When I was buying logs for the sawmill we tried primex tires on a pettibone fork lift. They would last about 6-8 months and then when you were carrying a load and hit a bump a softball size bulge would appear in the sidewall, once the bulge appeared it was a matter of days until the tire blew. We went through about 12 or them before we went back to firestones and never had another lick of trouble. Primex said "tough cookies" on any kind of warranty replacement.

Only reason we ran so many of the primex tires is that our genius cooperate folks saw they were cheaper and bought a semi load of them to split up between all of their mills in an effort to save money. 

Corley5

Hearing how they held up on forklifts I'm glad I didn't try them on my forwarder  :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

redprospector

Go Firestone.
You don't always get what you pay for, but you'll always pay for what you get.  smiley_beertoast
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

riverlogger

I ran a 648G series 3 for a guy about a year ago for a bit to help him get started. The machine had two 80% firestones on the back and two brand new china tires on the front. Long story short the china tires lasted less than 1 month. They both started with knots in between the tread and it was only a matter of days till they where finished from there. IMO stay away from cheap tires.

cloud9

primex is my tire of choice for my forwarder, 23.1x26, I feel they hold up better than fs but truth be told I usually end up buying what ever is available when I need it. I've been curious about the samsons but haven't tried them. Keeping proper air pressure is key with any brand.

David-L

I have been running BKT on my big 4wd tractor as michelins were crazy $. they sell there tires buy weight so what I have been told by a friend who has worked at the tire shop they have seen no issues and are beefy tires. Even his brother buys them for his 1010 TJ. they make skidder tires also and they are about 4 to 5 hundred cheaper than the firestones. my personel experience on the tractor with correct tire psi is They are good, when i buy two skidder tires this spring unless there is a cash windfall I"ll be buying BKT.

David l
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

chevytaHOE5674

I've had a set of BKT tires on a tractor now for about 3 years and so far they seem to be holding UP pretty well. They are pretty heavy tires and seem to be well constructed.

plasticweld

I am running BKT and real happy with them also

Autocar

If you feel the price is more then you would like to spend you may try putting tire liners inside of a 12 ply tractor tire. They make them just north of me at Elida Ohio. Just go to ASK.COM and type in tire liner and there web page will come up.
Bill

treeslayer2003

wow, I have run combine tires for years on skidders without that happening. if you find combine tires make sure they 12 ply and not dry rotten.

rowtohoe

I live in Western Massachusetts and find that they want big dollars for used tires also. 800 dollars for something with 10 or 20% left. I do run chains, but one tire blew a hole in it the size of my fist. Two other tires have cord showing. 4 used 20%  Firestones from up in N.H. will cost me 3,000. I believe that I can get 4 new Primex for around 6,300. I think that I can make my money back. Just wanted everyone's opinion on the Primex,  My next choice would be to dump the skidder and buy a brand new Harley! I am 59 years old and do not know how much longer I can go on. That winch cables seems to get harder to pull out every year. Thanks again for all of the feedback.

coxy

I have had a set of 18x4-34 primex tires on the back since 06 but the last 2years the skidder has only skidded 5 loads  but I have had no prob

treechopper40

we tried them when I worked for a big chipping company on there 525 cat grapples and the wouldn't last a year on the back the rubber would peel off the steel belting on the outside they may work ok on a small cable skidder though
1979 c5d treefarmer 1966 c5b treefarmer prentice g model loader 2 6100 dolmars a 6400 dolmar and a 7910 dolmar 2012 ford f 250 4x4 with a service body and 2 golden retreivers

lumbertick

We has 2 of them on the back of our 648GIII and they held up great.. got one on the front of out 346 double bunk and it is holding up nice.. been on there 18 months still looks like new...

David-L

RowToHoe, I have a friend who wants to buy a c-5 and put 18.4x26 that he has. the c-5 has 4 18.4x34 FS tires on it that he would sell and are at 95%. PM me as he is in southern ,NH and i am in central mass. The 12 hole TF rims will fit on the 12 hole TJ I believe. he's toying with this and can connect you up with him.

David l
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

thenorthman

For less then full time use regular AG tires would probably work ok, just make sure to get 10-12 ply rated, the ag tires seem to be about half the price as "forestry" tires.  A proper skidder tire will put up with considerably more abuse then an AG tire, but for part time occasional use? what the hell right...

And by the way I've got a gash about 5" long in one of my tires currently, its been booted and patched sorta... with a tube it still holds air, get a stick stuck in it from time to time, but new tubes are cheaper than new tires, and I haven't found any used 18.4 x 26 tires near me worth buying in over a year.
well that didn't work

Thank You Sponsors!