iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Got a bandmill

Started by Carpenter, April 10, 2011, 12:15:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carpenter

I got a bandmill!  Much as I like the circle mill I was spending much more time working on it than cutting lumber.  And since I cut by myself most of the time I just don't have the manpower to efficiently use the circle mill which led to the 90 hp tractor burning up a lot of diesel fuel for a not much production at the end of the day.  It's sad I know and I may get the circle mill tuned yet but for now I need something reliable to use.  So, I went with an EZ Boardwalk 40. 
     I really needed a band resaw anyway to utilize more of the lumber coming off of the circle mill.  I do some furniture work and cabinetry so I was planning to get a big vertical bandsaw to resaw with.  Also, I really like Arkansawers siding jig and plan to make one.  Thanks for the idea Arkansawer.  I don't know what I'm going to do with the extra board or two from most of these cedar logs, but, I think I'll come up with something. 
     The new mill was delivered thursday evening and I did manage to cut one small fencepost sized log on it before dark.

The flash on the camera really made the picture turn out darker than it really was. 
     It was so much fun I just kept cutting till I couldn't read the log scale and brought the boards into the house to see how well they were cut.  It does a nice job and an incredibly smooth finish. 
     The next day I cut up a couple of pine logs that went very well and made some long pallets for a Jim Rogers style lumber storage system.  Thanks Jim.
     Then I put this monster on the mill.

This is the top log from a large pine that was dead when it was taken down.  I sawed the but log on the circle mill and did have a few issues with it.  Had the same issues on the band mill, the blade started diving at certain spots in the log.  I wanted to try a new band, but the bands I ordered with the mill are being shipped from the factory and aren't here yet.  So, it got  set aside for later.  Also, I think it dulled the band :(  I tried another pine with similar results, even though that pine was alive when we took it down it had been down for a long time.  So, I went back to cutting cedar and things went better, but I could tell the blade was dull.  But, without any new blades and a new mill what was I to do?  I figured I had nothing to loose so I hand filed the blade.  Thats a lot of teeth, but, I just took off enough to freshen the tip up.  It helped so, I got to use the new mill some more.  Can't wait for the new blades to get here though. 

beenthere

Looking good.

Let the guy limbing your logs know that the limbs can be trimmed a bit closer to make loading and turning the log much easier. :)  The stubs don't make any lumber. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

Congratulation on getting the new mill.  New sharp bands will be your friends.  Change them before they get dull.

I completely agree about taking one step closer to the log and getting the limbs off before loading the log onto the mill.  You can't properly turn the log.  There is always one keeping it from lying flat. They will cause nothing but misery.   
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ladylake

Nice looking mill. That looks like a good sized log, how big can it handle, how long are the blades.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Chuck White

Sounds like you're having a lot of fun there Carpenter!  ;D

When you get your shipment of new blades, you'll really enjoy yourself.

Have fun, be safe!

Chuck
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Peter Drouin

nice mill , its a lot of work but it is fun 8) 8) 8)good luck
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

paul case

i am happy for you carpenter. i sure like my ez 40 and i imagine you will like yours too.

also i have found that on logs like that big un in your last pic, it just works out better if you can cut in from the little end. those big limb knots will cause problems. i find if i slow down the blade cuts straighter through those.

pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Woodchuck53

Nice mill Carpenter. A lot slower than the spinner huh? That's the thing that gets me when I use a freinds band mill. I like them bought but I'm with Frank on hearing the govenor buckle down and saw. Nice job on the rebuild too. Now your shed will have to cover two toys. Nice having all that slab to work on. They're right about the limbs, especially a one man show like mine. Have fun and stay safe. Chuck
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

bandmiller2

Thats a nice looking mill Carpy,of course theirs nothing saying you can't have boath mills each has their advantages.What are you planning to do about band sharpening,files really don't cut it.Your right with a circular mill you need at least two guys for any production.I work alone sometimes but theirs alot of commuting around the engine.Are you planning to keep your bandmill stationary with a roof or go mobile.? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Fil-Dill

Carpenter, did you get your sawblades in yet? Was wondering how you liked your mill.
EZ boardwalk 40

r.man

Nice mill Carpenter, from the look of your background in the distance that was the last tree in the area. Have you heard the joke about the dog that ran away and it took three days?
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Carpenter

Yes, I got the new blades!  It makes a world of difference.  I still don't know why the blade dulled when I started cutting that big pine because it cut the previous pine perfectly.  And, I still haven't put that one back on the mill. 
     I haven't gotten to spend a full day milling yet as the weathers been bad, I've had to work, and I've been trying to set the milling area up efficiently.  I spent most of today building lumber storage pallets and rearanging things.  I plan to build a set of log bunks to load from the right side and then offload from the left side of the mill right onto the lumber pallets.  I've got a sticker pallet that I can put close to the lumber pallets and then move the pallets with the forklift.  It should be a pretty smooth one or two man operation.  It of course doesn't cut as fast as the circle mill, but, most of the time is spent handling the logs and lumber anyway, and it doesn't cut all that slow.  It does almost pull itself into the cut.  It's a lot of fun to run.  It makes acurate cuts.  The board scale took a bit to get used to as I was used to figuring in a circle mill kerf.  Also on this mill to cut down to the last inch the scale actually needs to be on 1 1/8 where as on the circle mill it was on 1".  But, it didn't take me long to figure that one out.  It actually makes the math a little easier just different.  I just wish I'd have gotten this mill last November.  I had a 20,000 bf per year cedar order and I just couldn't make consistant enough cuts with the circle mill to take it. 

Ianab

Never know if you hit a little pebble in the bark of that log, just enough to mess up the set or take the edge off the blade, or maybe the blade was just getting marginal and couldn't handle the different grain and density of the other log. Either way, it points to the problems being the most likely suspect, the band, worn or damaged. New band and you are back in action.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

thecfarm

Glad to see you like it. Isn't it awful we have to work? Takes time away from our sawing time.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

paul case

glad to hear you are getting along with it. i wish were werent so far apart so you could come and see my set up. think about lifting the mill up to about knee level so that it is easier on your back offloading and turning and clamping.
i have had some of the same problems with wider cuts on my mill. you can cut real well on a 12'' cut with a marginally dull band , but when you jump to a 22'' knotty cut it dont do so well. just seeems to be kind of a fact for mine. i thought my mill cuts a little faster than the m-14 belsaw that i had. it had the geared down cut feed. slooooow. 

it is a little hard to see in the pic but my mill is set up on oak 8x8 cants. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

metljakt

Thank You Sponsors!