iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Air drying White oak

Started by jack, June 03, 2006, 08:06:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jack

hello

I have two logs of white oak  38" and 28" by 15 foot long,  the client wants the highest value out of these logs, (who wouldn't)  But i need to airdry them as a kiln is not readily avalible.  Any suggestions as to how i should cut it?  Cants,  6/4, or slab?
What is the risk of airdrying it and what precautions would be suggested in the drying process?  I plan to sticker it with dry sticks,  endseal and keep out of direct sun and rain.    any thing else?
The wood is nice no  defects or knots for  most of the logs.  I have never cut hardwood,  im in a softwood area and most ppl just turn the hardwood into firewood.   Any and all suggestions are appreciated,
I run a Lucas 825.
Thanks
dirtdoctorjak@aol.com
Jack     
GRAB life by the Belly fat and give it a twist!!!!!

Went from 5 employees to one, sorry to see a couple of them go.  Simplify life... building a totally solar run home, windmill pumps my water, and logs keep me warm.

Norm

White oak is hands down the hardest wood to air dry. I'd suggest you get it out of any sun and try not to dry it too fast at first. The most damage air drying wo is done in the first week or three. If you have low humidity there I'd worry about drying too fast as opposed to getting some mold on it. The thicker you cut it the harder it is to dry properly. 6/4's is as thick as I'd go.

Brad_S.

If he wants the highest value from them, then quarter sawing is what is needed, and these certainly have the size requirements needed. There is currently a thread about quartersawing that has tips for swingers and quartersawing. Grade sawing would be the next best option. Canting and slabbing are not the best choices for high value.
Thickness should be your customers call for his intended use. Most woodworkers I know use 4/4, if you QS, a lot of Mission Style furniture uses 5/4.
In addition to what Norm said about drying, I would add that wind blowing through your stack early on might be your greatest worry. I would make sure there is no way wind can blow directly through your stack for the first month or so.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Flurida_BlackCreek

I put the stacks in the shade and cover them with burlap. The slower it dries the better.
I'm happy anywhere south of the mason-dixon line.
-- cdb

Thank You Sponsors!