iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Setter inspired by Pineywoods

Started by Darrel, August 12, 2015, 12:44:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darrel

I read Pineywoods post about his tooth setter some time back and decided to build one. The idea of using it in a vice was a bit awkward in my way of thinking so while I was out and about on the 300 acres of blueberries, I did some thinking, hour after and came up with some ideas. First of all a stand, I've cut all the parts for it out of scrap and will weld it up tomorrow or the next day.

I also revised the device for putting the set in the teeth. Here is a pic of what I have so far.

This is half inch square tubing. I will be shortening it just a bit so that the setter protrudes just a little more. An adjustment bolt at the round end will determine the amount of set. The angled end will push on the tooth to set it. Who says you need a milling machine?  My grinder and file work quite well.

And thanks Pineywoods for convincing me that I could do it.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

bandmiller2

Darrel, your going to have to show us how that works. The big problem setting bands is the teeth are so DanGed springy and different bands vary. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

petefrom bearswamp

I did pineywoods mod on my setter to set both sides at once, but cant seem to get consistent results.
He was going to get to me with a further mod,  but i havent heard yet.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

pineywoods

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on August 12, 2015, 08:00:57 AM
I did pineywoods mod on my setter to set both sides at once, but cant seem to get consistent results.
He was going to get to me with a further mod,  but i havent heard yet.
Pete, no further mods required.  Remove the movable block so you have good access. On the blade side of the block, there are 2 allen head capscrews. There's springs under the heads. Remove the screws and springs.  Re-assemble. Adjust the linkage to the handle so that the handle has to be pressed all the way against the stops, then adjust the 2 setting stops to get the desired set. Pay no attention to the dial gauge, I took it off mine. Use a calipher to measure the amount of set. Takes a bit of trial and error to get everything adjusted...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Darrel

It only cost me about $30.00 and a whole lots of time and thought to put this together, and working 12 hr. days 6 days a week forced me to wait until retirement to finish.  But about all it needs now is some paint!

This is what it looks like.

A look from the side.  Also note the clamping lever to the right.  The tooth set is achieved with a moderate amount of pressure applied to this leaver.

This finger applies pressure to setter clamp when force is applied to clamping leaver.

The advance leaver.  Pull the handle back and click over 3 teeth then advance.

The tooth setters and the adjustment for the advance leaver stop.

View of the tooth setters from the side.

Repeatability is fantastic with this device.  I can measure every tooth on a blade and the farthest out is 0.002 of an inch from the desired 0.023 desired.  95% of the teeth are dead on. 

Thanks for looking,
Darrel
1992 LT40HD

Kbeitz

I like it..............
I know you need the 0.023 but could you show us the tool needed to check the blade.
Maybe with a picture of the tool checking a tooth..
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

justallan1

Darrel, I say nice job. If it's consistent and sets the teeth how it should, you just saved yourself a pocket full of money.

pineywoods

smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup  Good job...

K, use a calipher to measure the set. Measure across a bent tooth, subtract the blade thickness. Once the setter is adjusted, there is no need to measure set, it will always be the same..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

drobertson

Yea, that is nice, nothing like a good set,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

pineywoods

This was originally just a "let's see how simple and cheap a setter I could build". Guys just keep adding features and improvements. Just waiting for someone to add power feed and power set...I have a back burner project to build a cheap and simple sharpener to go along with it.

Darrel

Quote from: pineywoods on September 08, 2015, 06:49:31 PM
This was originally just a "let's see how simple and cheap a setter I could build". Guys just keep adding features and improvements. Just waiting for someone to add power feed and power set...I have a back burner project to build a cheap and simple sharpener to go along with it.

Hey, I put some serious thought into pneumatics, but quickly went over budget.  It wouldn't take much to add pneumatics to this setter. I'm looking for the parts I need on the used pneumatic market.  So far no luck but will keep looking. I can set a band in about 5 minutes so am in no hurry.

And I will soon have a video of how I use the dial caliper to measure the set.
1992 LT40HD

bandmiller2

Darrel, be aware of truck air brake parts like the break cans and valves, can be had cheap off the junk pile. Pneumatic with a pressure regulator should give very consistant results. Anyone who sets their own, its good form to start at the band weld point so you don't get out of time with the set. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Chuck White

Quote from: bandmiller2 on September 09, 2015, 07:19:35 AM
Darrel, be aware of truck air brake parts like the break cans and valves, can be had cheap off the junk pile. Pneumatic with a pressure regulator should give very consistant results. Anyone who sets their own, its good form to start at the band weld point so you don't get out of time with the set. Frank C.

Good point Frank!  ;)

I can't remember the brand, but I have gotten bands in the past where the blade wasn't sets of 3 all the way back to the weld.

Most bands are sets of 3, that is the teeth were left, right, center all the way around, but not always!

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

barbender

Quote from: Chuck White on September 09, 2015, 10:51:31 AM
Quote from: bandmiller2 on September 09, 2015, 07:19:35 AM

Good point Frank!  ;)

I can't remember the brand, but I have gotten bands in the past where the blade wasn't sets of 3 all the way back to the weld.

Most bands are sets of 3, that is the teeth were left, right, center all the way around, but not always!

All of the blades I have gotten from WM have been properly spaced (sets of 3), but when I get blades from a local supplier, they don't lay them out right. You'd have to be careful setting them.
Too many irons in the fire

pineywoods

Yeah, I have run across blades with an incorrect number of teeth, sure messes up setting. BUT, they usually have more than 1 weld, like it was pieced together from scraps.. If I remember correctly, they were from one of the local  norwood mills. Those guys tend to buy blades from whomever has the best price..and bring them to me for set and sharp..

drobertson

"Once the setter is adjusted, there is no need to measure set, it will always be the same.."
this seems a bit of a misnomer, as the tooth is shorten the tangent of the angle will change, so care should be taken to ensure that the set is the same, and as the sharpening goes from the first to the second and third and so forth, adjustments will be required, in my experiences, not to mention the over bend and release of stresses that incur while forming the set. I like the dial indicator, pretty much spot on without any of the hand held tweeks  that can occur with a caliper. Now if several thousands does not matter here and there then
by all means do a quick check with the calipers, I just know indicators tell the tail without the human factor.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Darrel

Here is a short video clip showing how I measure the set of a tooth, the video bombing by the dogs is a bonus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF_AZ9FJHOY
1992 LT40HD

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!