iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodland Mills HM-126

Started by Engineer, August 31, 2015, 07:54:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Engineer

Got so many questions, feels like I'm just clogging up the interwebs....  :D

So I've been doing a lot of research on small manual mills, got to see quite a few at Boonville this year, but I'm still not sold on anything specific yet.  I thought I was certain I wanted a Wood-Mizer LT-15 but the price just is hard to swallow for a hobbyist on a budget.  I know the resale is great.  I know it's a capable and excellent little mill.  I just have a hard time with the thought that I can get 75% of the capability for less than 50% of the money. 

This has led me to the Woodland Mills HM-126.  I have watched every YouTube video I can find on the mill.  I have read every thread on this site and several other sites that mention the mill.  What none of that does is show me the actual mill, let me put my hands on it, see it run in person, make my decision easier.  Could I drive the eight hours to Toronto and have them show me their mill?  Probably - if they do demos at the factory.  I emailed Woodland and got a very nice response in e-mail and a phone message to boot, saying very politely that they do not demonstrate their mills at fairs or shows, and they do not give out the names of owners.  This strikes me as a serious marketing mistake.  Unless they are at full production capacity and simply don't want to sell more mills than word-of-mouth advertising and the internet can produce.  I want to see one of these mills. 

So, does anyone here within, say, 200 miles of Albany, NY have a Woodland HM126?  And will you demonstrate it for me?

I also have a couple of questions related to the mill construction that I would like answered:  First, is the throat adjustable or fixed?  From the videos it looks fixed.  That's not a deal breaker but It does help explain the low cost of the mill.  Also, I read on another site that the mill is allegedly made overseas.  I don't believe this, but nothing on the website or the videos say it is made in Canada.  Is it an offshore production that is shipped in for final assembly and crating?

I probably should just give in and buy the Wood-Mizer, knowing that they will always be there with parts and service just a phone call away, and having a good feeling that it's more or less the "industry standard".  Just not sure it's worth the $4000 premium to me.

OK, ok - so I should just spread the $7200 out over 20 years and it's only $30 a month.....  :-\ 

fishfighter

First off, the mill is made in China. It is crated that takes about a day to put it together, maybe two. The throat is fixed, But I have had no problems producing good lumber.

I was in the same boat as you about spending a bunch of money for a mill and I did settle on the Woodland 126 along with a extra section track. That and a extra 10 blades shipped to me here in Louisiana was like $3850. The only trouble I had so for was with the motor. A rubber gasket in the shut off valve was cutting fuel flow. I chased that for three weeks till I brought it to a service center. Still waiting if Kohler if they will refund me, repair under warranty. The rubber gasket was installed wrong to start with per the service center. Another problem I had was with the drive belts. The ones that come with the mill are cheap China made. One call to Woodland and they sent me a new set. My mill was only about two months old at the time and they sent the belts for free. The few times I called with questions, they got right back to me if they didn't know the answer.

So, the $3850 question. Would I buy the same mill? Yes! Sure, there are better built mills, but at more the double the cost and for what I doing with my mill, it would be hard to justified the extra cost.

highlandsaw

I'm just west of Rochester. A little beyond your 200 mile limit. However you are welcome to come and mill as many logs as you would like. I have mostly ash. Also some locust and pine. And can go cut a cherry for you to experiment on.

goose63

Engineer the mill is well worth the money I have had mine a little over a year now.

Lori at Woodland sent me a email asking if thy could give my name and number to a guy told her sure a few day's latter he called me then over the week end he drove up here 7 hours one way just to run the mill and that man left happy don't know if he bought one or not.

The service from Woodland is great any question I've had some one there will give me the answer

if I wasn't so far away you would be more than welcome to run mine but I think 1500 miles is over your limet
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

BCsaw

Engineer, this may be obvious but..........you mentioned that you really wanted an LT15. Not to knock anything else out there, but did you consider the LT10??

I hope that you were able to see a variety of mills. The more you see, the easier that you are able to find the small things that catch "your" attention. Everybody can have different opinions and needs. You are right, trying something out can pay big dividends.

Good luck with your purchase! ;D
Inspiration is the ability to "feel" what thousands of others can't!
Homebuilt Band Sawmill, Kioti 2510 Loader Backhoe

Magicman

WM has a special price on the LT10 right now: LINK
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sawmilljoe

I have a woodland mill and it works very well I have sawn 20inch wide pine boards with it . A very strong well made mill. This is my second mill I made my first to see if it was something I wanted to do. Now I do custom sawing for people. The bunch at woodland a really good to deal with and guide bearing and belts are stock at any tractor dealer.

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, sawmilljoe.  You have been mighty quiet for the past 5 months so how about an intro thread and sharing some of your log, lumber, and sawing interest.

Also adding your location and sawmill to your profile helps.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

dirtymartini

Engineer, I am looking at the same mills as you are and after a few weeks still haven't made a decision.  I am also looking at the Norwood LM 29. I'll be very interested on what you decide.

fotokemist

I have a two week old HM-126.  Overall, I am very pleased with the mill.  Sure beats the ole Granberg!  I also did a lot of web research before settling on the HM-126.  I am a "value" shopper, so asked the question of how much a feature is worth to me.  I also believe that Chinese factories build to specification, so in my view, the key consideration is the design engineering and quality control, not the factory location.  So far as I can tell, the parts subject to wear are readily available from local sources.  Hence the decision to go with the HM-126.

The design appears to be well thought out, at least so far as this novice can tell.  The machine's construction was of high quality save one minor fault.  That fault was a slight position error in the bolt holes for the log clamp.  Mine are ~ 1/16" out of parallel with the rail top.  Exactly the same error was present in each rail, suggesting the boring machine was not set up correctly.  It resulted in the rollers bumping when crossing the clamp area.  Easily fixed in 10 min. on the grinder.  The assembly directions are a bit sparse, but clear and accurate. 

Lifting the saw head from the crate and placing it on the track is best done with a forklift, or in my case, a Bobcat.  My buddy Charlie and I total well over 500 lbs and decided to use the lift. 

I am very much in the early stages of learning how to saw logs, but have been able to easily duplicate everything that I have found interesting on the web.  This not a "production" mill.  I am sure I get more efficient with more experience, but currently spend more time in set up than actually "making sawdust."  The 9.5 HP Kohler gives plenty of power for everything I have put on the bunks, up to ~ 18" pine.  No experience with larger/harder logs at this point.

My bet is that it would be hard to make a serious mistake so long as you stay away from the really cheap choices.
Ron
Woodland HM126, Bobcat 863, Norwood Skidlite

thecfarm

fotokemist,welcome to the forum. Have fun sawing!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Hello fotokemist, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  Thanks for the nice self introduction.   8)

mattyo5

I have a woodland mills mill in Farmington, CT.   If that helps you, you are welcome to come have a look at it anytime and cut something if I have stock to cut!

Woodland Mills HM126 Sawmill - modded
Husqvarna 385xp rebuilt and ported
Husqvarna 372xp rebuilt and ported
2x Husqvarna 350 ...rebuilt and ported
Hitachi CS33etdb top handle saw

Thank You Sponsors!