iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just a bad productive week.

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, September 10, 2015, 08:04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Just one of those weeks.

Started off...the HD starter that turns the pump started slowing down. Then it got to where it would quit. To finish a job I would have to tap on it LIGHTLY with a small hammer to get the HD's to work.
During this time of tapping and sawing....BAM.....a weak HD hose blew. I went ahead and took 2 hoses off since they both had a little skin damage.

Got the HD hoses off and made sure I pulled twine through the main beam to be able to pull the new lines back through.

So now, I take the HD motor out.

Call Woodmizer....over night shipment for new brushes for the starter motor and a new filter.
The next morning, BAM.....brushes and filter arrive.

Now off to drop off the brushes and motor / pump at my friends generator shop.
While he installs the new brushes, I go get 2 new HD hoses.....$165.00.... :o :o :o :o :o

Come back to pickup my motor / pump....takes 20 minutes to fix and test.

If anyone is wondering, 1600 hours on my mill, got new brushes in. WOW.....I had forgotten how fast the HD system worked on the LT40.

During my down time this week, I cleaned and put together a station for sawing stickers. Its a big help....the chainsaw was getting old.

Got the mill put back together.....its hard to believe how much sawdust can accumulate inside the main beam on a Woodmizer. But you'll find out when you have to pull out hoses and replace them.  :D

Sooo, today I sawed 925 bf of the most prettiest Poplar I've seen in a while. I sawed, brought it to Kirk and he brushed, stack and stickered it all. This lumber is going to cabinet makers.

Toward the end of the job the drive belt started to talk to me a little every now and again.  dadgum you, Charlie!
Took the panels off and.... BAM....the belt is started to split. I looked at the clock....10 after 5. Hummm, gotta find me a "time zone" that can help me. Georgia and Carolina closed.....called Indy....Indy says UPS has already run for the day and couldn't get a belt to me in the morning. So they call Oregon Woodmizer FOR ME....BAM.....they hooked me up. My drive belt is on the way and will be at the mill around 10 am. I'm loving Woodmizer's love for Goats. So in the morning...I'll install my new belt and start again.  :)
All in all...got a lot done while down if that makes since.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

dustyhat

That lumber sure looks neat , but that work bench on the other hand. ;D

redbeard

It's nice to get organized once in awhile. Stacks look really nice n neat.  One question though, what's the sticker on the end of the 2x4 on your chopsaw table tell me its not a box store 2x 4..
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Bruno of NH

Great looking stack of wood !
Some days just hurt the coin drawer .
Good luck with the belt in the morning .
Jim/Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

YellowHammer

Sounds like it could have been worse!  My question, other than an observation that the the poplar is stacked too pretty to sell, is a how do you get UPS to deliver in the morning??  ???
I always get my stuff at 4:35PM, when I'm too tired to do anything.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: YellowHammer on September 10, 2015, 08:19:19 PM
Sounds like it could have been worse!  My question, other than an observation that the the poplar is stacked too pretty to sell, is a how do you get UPS to deliver in the morning??  ???

Our ups come in the morning.....our FED-EX comes at 4:35 pm...so I requested UPS.  :)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: dustyhat on September 10, 2015, 08:14:27 PM
That lumber sure looks neat , but that work bench on the other hand. ;D
Hey...thats the best a goat can do.  :D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: redbeard on September 10, 2015, 08:16:15 PM
One question though, what's the sticker on the end of the 2x4 on your chopsaw table tell me its not a box store 2x 4..

Yep....they came from SLOWE'S.  I didn't have 1-1/2 inch to fit my saw horse hardware at the mill. I keep true 2x's. Plus the mill was down so I bit the bullet and bought stow-bought lumber.  ;D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Let me give a little credit here.....during my down time, I called Magicman and CustomSawyer (Jake from State Farm) and told them the problems I was having. Believe it or not, they were a lot of help.
Its good to have friends on the FF you can call during bad times to get the spirits lifted back up.
A BIG THANKS!

Magicman

I am glad that you caught the brushes before you burned the motor armature. It's good to see that you are up and running again.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on September 10, 2015, 08:50:34 PMI called Magicman and CustomSawyer....Its good to have friends on the FF you can call during bad times to get the spirits lifted back up.
Are you saying that you have friends in low places??
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Y

E

S

smiley_wavy

taylorsmissbeehaven

Some goats just have it made! That's my kinda shop in the picture. I know where everything is and nobody else does. Im cutting a whack of poplar right now myself. If you have a minute PM me, Id like to know how many logs made that lumber. Its good to have friends in any place, Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

Oliver05262

Tha goat sez:
"Come back to pickup my motor / pump....takes 20 minutes to fix and test."

By the looks of that bench, it "might" take 20 minutes to FIND your motor. Don't set any pieces down !!!!
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

SawyerBrown

You might feel more at home in Ala-BAM-a.  ;D
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: SawyerBrown on September 10, 2015, 10:22:06 PM
You might feel more at home in Ala-BAM-a.  ;D

....BAM......you told me.  :D :D :D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Oliver05262 on September 10, 2015, 10:16:13 PM

By the looks of that bench, it "might" take 20 minutes to FIND your motor. Don't set any pieces down !!!!

The place looks like a goat snake pit. There's motors, generators, alternators and junk every where.  :D

scleigh

Sometimes it seems everything breaks at once.
A month ago, the hydraulic cylinder on my Case lift tractor started to pour oil. After talking to a few people about coming to take a look at it, I decided to do it myself.
After getting the cylinder off and taking it to be fixed, driving an hour back, before my day job, and putting it all back together, I was pleased that I got it all done in a few weeks.
Well, that lasted about 2 days. The second time I used the lift, I noticed oil on the cylinder, at least it's not pouring oil like before :D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

customsawyer

I think at the next sycamore project you need to give a class on stickering lumber.  :D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Magicman

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on September 10, 2015, 08:04:09 PMSooo, today I sawed 925 bf of the most prettiest Poplar I've seen in a while. I sawed, brought it to Kirk and he brushed, stack and stickered it all.

Quote from: customsawyer on September 11, 2015, 09:10:48 AMI think at the next sycamore project you need to give a class on stickering lumber.
Sooo, is Kirk going to give the class??   ???    :D

drobertson

Break downs occur, seemingly at the worst times, I figure Murphey's Law,  and your repair shop has close similarities to ours here in town, I reckon it is the nature of the beast, but they do good work,  that stack looks as good as any I have seen, it helps to have straight flat lumber to work with.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

4x4American

Quote from: YellowHammer on September 10, 2015, 08:19:19 PM

If you know where the UPS distribution center is, and you're expecting an important package, you can call them and have them leave it there and go pick it up yourself, when you can.  For me, the UPS dist center is only a 20 min drive or so.  I get deliveries at about 6pm from the UPS driver.  So if it's important, I go pick it up in the morning.
Boy, back in my day..

red

1600 hours?  . . You must have left the key On when you went on Vacation
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

samandothers

I am struck by how straight and true the poplar is.  I have been getting schooled in stress by some I am cutting for a barn.

Glad you got your stuff up and going!

Thank You Sponsors!