iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Backyard Charcoal

Started by andysheffield, July 31, 2007, 08:32:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andysheffield

I've attempted my first backyeard charcoal production today, using alder in 1/4s of 18 inch rounds seasoned for only 4 months

I've gone with a basic pit method, get it on fire then drop a metal lid on it and cover it with soil and leave a single chimney.

I'll know if it worked in a day or too...does anyone else make their own charcoal?

Larry

Yes, I have made charcoal with mixed results on a small scale.  I'm thinking it might be a product that would complement my BBQ wood sales so I have been doing a little research.

You may find this site interesting.

http://www.forestprod.org/smallwood06hammett.pdf

Iffen your on dialup takes a while. ::)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Daren

I make my own charcoal with cherry/mulberry (personal use, much smaller scale in a 35 gallon drum. Mill slab, stuff I buck, but it works ?), I also cook with those and other fruitwoods like apple/pear/peach... Start a fire in the pit and after they burn down to coals throw a fat steak on. Throw some wet chips in for smoke.  digin1 I can't do hickory though, gives me terrible heartburn, don't know why but it does.

Larry, that was a cool link, thanks.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Furby

Here's a link to a thread in the "general board" you may find of help. :)

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=17666.0

jim king

Nothing to it .  Just pile up fresh wood cover with banana leaves and grass then a layer of mud and then frame it in with sticks so nothing collapses.  Start it on fire and tend it 24 hours a day for a week so it doesnt burn to ashes.  After it is ready close the air holes and let it cool a week.  Then put it in gunny sacks and carry it a few miles to the nearest road.

After this you take it to town and sell it to the Chinese restaurants for about $20.  You have just lived a two week span of a slash and burn subsistance farmer.

ADAMINMO

No help here.....I have a charcoal plant a few miles from my house and go get a 30 gallon trashcan full every month or so.Dont cost a thing as long as I dont abuse the privlege and sell it on the side.I only get enough for me to use from time to time.

Thank You Sponsors!