iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help me chose the right chainsaw (Husqvarna 353 or 346 or...?)

Started by TW, April 22, 2008, 01:21:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TW

I am looking for a chainsaw.

My needs:
-I will use it for logging of firewood ans sometimes some sawlogs for our own needs, and for loghouse carpentry and for general carpentry, carpentry only part time. The loghouse work is fully scribed style and I cut the long groove with the chainsaw.
-The saw must have aluminium crankcase because plastic crakcases are known to crack if the saw stands idling a lot on a hard surface (scaffolding).
-The saw should be about 50 cc, I think. This because the Husqvarna 42 (42cc) I have used until now is on the small side for cutting the long groove in wall logs.

This is quite a list of diverging need but I can only afford one saw.

I have been looking at different brands and models and ended up looking at Husqvarna and Jonsered saws.

Husqvarna 353 costs about 675€

Husqvarna 346 costs about 820€, but I was offered a little used secondhand one for about 500€.

Jonsered 2153 costs about 700€

Jonsered 2147 costs about 780€

Husqvarna 353 and Jonsered 2153 are almost similar saws.
Husqvarna 346 and Jonsered 2147 are almost similar saws.
They are all made at the same factory.

I am leaning towards a Husqvarna 353 but does anybody have any advice?

sawguy21

I too would go with the 353 for your needs, it is a good all around saw. The 346XP is a high performance saw designed for speed but has a narrow power band.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Maineloggerkid

I have run both a 353 and a 346XP. My neighbor let me try them out. I would go for the 346XP,but that is just me. That thing rally cuts well for a saw that small. The 353 just didn't semm to have the umph.
JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

Victor

TW,

Your prices are about 2X what they are here in the US. I would be willing to buy one here for you and ship it to you in Finland. If I remove the bar and just ship the saw itself I bet it would ship by FedEx for around $100.00. Let me know if you want me to do this for you.

Victor

TW

Thanks for the kind offer, Victor, but no thanks since I will buy it locally in order to keep the warranties

Thanks for the advice.

I am still leaning towards the 353 since it apperas to have more torque, which I think may be desireable for logbuilding.

I have tested a 346XP and loved it though.

WildDog

Tw

Have you looked at the Husky 455R - 55.5cc..down here they sell for $950aud, $250 less than the 346xp.

QuoteYour prices are about 2X what they are here in the US
Victor, I'm curious to know how much 372xp's are over your way, I paid $1450aud last year for one.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

SawTroll

Quote from: TW on April 22, 2008, 01:21:38 PM
   .....  Husqvarna 353 and Jonsered 2153 are almost similar saws.
They are all made at the same factory. ...

A few mixups/inaccuracies there;

- the 2152 is the same as the 353

- the 2147 is the same as the old 45cc 346xp

- the 2153 is the same as the New Edition 346xp, a much stronger saw than the old one.

I suspect that the price you listed for the 2153 really is for the 2152 as well - and the used 346 may well be an "old" 45cc one....

Information collector.

SawTroll

Quote from: SawTroll on May 05, 2008, 04:08:38 PM
Quote from: TW on April 22, 2008, 01:21:38 PM
   .....  Husqvarna 353 and Jonsered 2153 are almost similar saws.
They are all made at the same factory. ...

A few mixups/inaccuracies there;

- the 2152 is the same as the 353

- the 2147 is the same as the old 45cc 346xp

- the 2153 is the same as the New Edition 50cc 346xp, a much stronger saw than the old one.

I suspect that the price you listed for the 2153 really is for the 2152 as well - and the used 346 may well be an "old" 45cc one....

Information collector.

Corley5

I wish I'd have known about the 2153  :(  A brand spanking new never had gas in it, with all the manuals and tool kit sold for 300 bucks at an auction a couple weeks ago.  The first ring it was being sold in I had the high bid at 180 and no one else wanted it but the reserve was 300.  I'd have bought it if I'd known it was the same as the new edition 346.  I figured it was the same as a 353.  They took the saw to another ring and it sold right at the reserve.  Oh well, I want a 2156/357XP anyway.  Dad took his 625 to camp over the weekend to cleanup after last fall and winter's timber sale and realized just how outdated it is so I've got a good trade in  ;) ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Paw

I had a Jonsred 2054  (54 cc) in 9 years. Only small parts had to be fixed, so Jonsred is a very god chainsaw. My body had in the meantime a husqvarna 242 and then a 353. I triede it sometimes, and I was complete found of it. So on the bottom line: Buy the Husqvarna 353.

Paw

Ups! Forgot to tell: Now I have a Stihl - The is the Rolls Royce in Chainsaws

SawTroll

Quote from: Paw on May 07, 2008, 05:07:33 PM
Ups! Forgot to tell: Now I have a Stihl - The is the Rolls Royce in Chainsaws

Only if it is the MS361.......... :D :D 8)
Information collector.

Woodhog

Sawtroll... I am amazed by the huge prices of the saws mentioned.

How much was your new MS361  ????

SawTroll

Quote from: Woodhog on May 08, 2008, 09:40:19 AM
Sawtroll... I am amazed by the huge prices of the saws mentioned.

How much was your new MS361  ????

The 361W is about 1400 USD, the standard 361 about 1200, and that is dirt cheap for what you get, here.

I paid about 1400 for the NE346xpg as well, but that was a campaign price, 250-300 off.

Pro Stihls are generally quite a bit cheaper than pro Huskys here.
Information collector.

Victor

I went to my local Husqvarna dealer today to check prices. Here is what I found:

353      $400.00
346XP  $490.00
372XP  $760.00

I am sure I could get a 10% discount if I asked or find another dealer with a lower price.

Victor

TW

Thanks for the advice.

Thanks Saw Troll for correcting my misstake. I apparently misswrote 2153 instead of 2152. Somehow it happened....Takk

I have looked at the 455 Rancher, but it felt as cheap as the prize tag said.
I have also looked at Stihl saws, but they feel a bit flimsy in the handle. This good vibration reduction is surely good when logging, but it is not that good when sawing accurately along a pencil line.

The used 356 was claimed to be a new one. The buyer had never paid it fully so the dealer took it back. The drawback as I see it is that a fellow who buys a saw and cannot pay it is not likely to use it carefully nor to maintain it well.

I am negotiating with a local dealer for a good prize for a 353 and a pair of safety boots. I have a chance for a quite good discount if I buy it all at a time. They had sold out of 353:s last week, but I will go back as soon as they have gotten the next batch. I think I could get the saw for about 650 or 660 euro, and some discount on the boots too.

You surely have cheap tools and machinery in America. Almost unbelivable.

SawTroll

Quote from: TW on May 11, 2008, 01:06:30 AM...
I am negotiating with a local dealer for a good prize for a 353 and a pair of safety boots. I have a chance for a quite good discount if I buy it all at a time. They had sold out of 353:s last week, but I will go back as soon as they have gotten the next batch. I think I could get the saw for about 650 or 660 euro, and some discount on the boots too.....

I don't like to do that, the dealers have to make a living as well...... :)
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!