iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

basal area

Started by hatman-nz, November 04, 2018, 04:05:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hatman-nz

hi 
can some one help me out. need to  have the BA. of  a area of trees to. put in to. a forecaster program 
done  some plots for carbon credits   
the. avg  DBH is 18 centermeters   and. 1500  stems per Ha.   the program  needs to be in. meters  per. Ha 
cheers 
HAT

PS by the way any one know of. a good online program that is simple to use. just looking  at some blocks to thin  and the effects of. the thinning. on growths. grades etc etc 

Ron Wenrich

Metric BA=0.00007854*dbh^2    dbh is in cm and the BA is in square meters.

To get your BA/hectare, you'll need to have a tree count per hectare to get the answer.  For your example, you would have 38.17 m^2/ha

If you're cruising using a prism, it would depend on the factor of the prism.  If using a BAF factor of 10, you would get 2.296 m^2 of wood for each tree count.  

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

hatman-nz

Thank you Ron 
program  I have been  looking at. needs. a measurement  event in it   when working with firs  

the only down side. I found with the program is. the prices are. dated   had pulp at  40  dollars a cubic meter   now it's. closer to 80   so.  numbers are a bit out of. whack  

Ron Wenrich

I would think the prices would be a variable.  You can always use an inflation factor if you know the base is $40/cu meter.  

How does the program handle height?  If it is all a standard height, you may have inflated numbers due to stand conditions.  Are you working in plantations or natural stands?  
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

hatman-nz

hi Ron 
yea. it would be handy if the prices could of been changed 
looked at one  block  of pines  that was unthinned  so had a planting of 1200 per Ha   and. just. fast forwarded it to 30 years 
based on there pricing come out at about 56 000 kiwi dollars a ha   but. with. current prices  I worked out to be  about  108 000  per. Ha   ok my working will be a bit. rough  even at. close to 10% out.  it's still close to 2 times. the price.  the forecaster   worked out  just using the same. grades  

all trees were planted   so quite even   in hights. apart from the odd.  few in better areas. soils etc   and a few poorer ones on dryer hard ground 

Thank You Sponsors!