iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gas wont catch fire!

Started by minesmoria, January 04, 2005, 11:57:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

minesmoria

I have three month old 2 cycle gas mix i used a gas protector in it as well.

The gas worked fine in the saw, and there was a littel bit left in the can i put it in a glass jar and tryed to burn it.

It would catch fire for one second then go out what woud cause it not to catch fire? does this mean its gone bad?

ibbob

I think it means you got lucky.  Fire prolly went out for lack of oxygen before your bomb went boom.
Bob

Jeff

QuoteI think it means you got lucky.  Fire prolly went out for lack of oxygen before your bomb went boom.

I concur. If it was a narrow mouthed jar especially, you burnt off the oxygen before it was able to send you to the burn ward.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

leweee

Remines me of this

:D :D :D ::)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

rebocardo

A teaspoon of evaporated gas is equal to the energy in a stick of dynamite. It is not the gas that explodes inside your piston, its the vapor from the gas. You can stick a burning match right into gas and it will not explode, the problem comes when the match meets the vapor laying over the surface of the gasoline. BOOM. You just got lucky.

John_Boisselier

It means that your guardian angel was very busy.  No more oxygen is why the flame went out.  Even bad gas will burn.  The sniff test to see if the gas smells like varnish is probably a bit safer way to determine if the gas is good or not.
The Woodsman

Avalancher

Reminds me of that movie "Backdraft" where the arsonist would set a small fire to smolder, seal up the room, and leave it to be found by the first joker unfortunate to open the door and supply the needed oxygen to the fire.
BOOM

OneWithWood

Promise yourself you will never do that again!  :o

Those shards of glass would have caused you immense discomfort if you lived to tell about it :-/  Be thankful the oxygen was not sufficient in the jar for the vapors to fully ignite.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

IndyIan

One day when I was quite a bit younger I filled up a cap of a container of 2 stroke oil with gas.  Probably a teaspoon worth.  I tried to light it with a match and it wouldn't burn...  Only when I set up the match like a wick did the whole thing start going.  I can't remember if it was old mix or not but it surprised me alot that it was that hard to light.
For a little while I didn't think gas was too dangerous but my Dad started a brush pile with a cup full of gas and I relearned that gas wasn't to be played with.  There was quite a whoomp when that lit... :o  

Furby

Yep, that's what happens with the 2 stroke mix. The gas evaporates and leaves a higher content of oil behind. The original ratio of the mix does come into play, as does wether the gas was left in an open container or sealed. As the gas gets old there are less fumes. Fuel oil and cooking oil can be burned just like a candle. 2 stroke mix will get to a point where it does the same thing.

The WHOOMP, are all those fresh fumes. ;D
It's never a GOOD idea to mix matches and gas.  ::)

twostroke_blood

At this point I can only offer this advice: If at first you don't succeed try, try again! Let's see if this post survives Chainsaw Forum censure.

redpowerd

NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Jeff

QuoteAt this point I can only offer this advice: If at first you don't succeed try, try again! Let's see if this post survives Chainsaw Forum censure.

I predict that any posts having to do with topics that are not suitable for the students that use this forum as a resource or our younger family members that visit with us to view, in good conscience, will continue to disappear. In fact its not a prediction it is a guarantee. This is not a public forum, it is website where we allow anyone to join in by registering with the understanding that they abide by our standards.

Since you choose to make a deletion of a post a public event, so is my answer. I could just as well have answered a private message. Your understanding is appreciated but not necessary.

twostroke_blood

Im sorry i meant to say censorship. >:(

Jeff

Call it what you want, just dont do it here.

twostroke_blood

What does any of this have to do with chainsaws? I like vintage chainsaws. anyone else?

Jeff

Try this thread on the genral board. Ianab has posted some pictures of some old saws on his vacation picture thread.
https://forestryforum.com/cgi-bin/board/YaBB.pl?board=general;action=display;num=1104305468;start=7#7

redpowerd

did you check out the 'old saws' thread on the chainsaw forum? it may need a bump.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

tony_marks

i think all he was trying to burn was water at the bottom of his container..if you can get a match to it ,it ll suck enuff oxygen in to
 burn ,go off or whatever. depends on the circumstances.. jmo
 no offense intended there brother..

Thank You Sponsors!