iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mahogany porch floor finish help

Started by DeerMeadowFarm, July 17, 2017, 01:35:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeerMeadowFarm

I have a covered porch floor that I put down 14 years ago. It's T&G 5/4 Mahogany. For many years we oiled it but it gets southern exposure so it takes a beating. I am screening the porch in with Tiger Wire screen and we want to finish the floor off more "permanent" like an indoor hardwood floor. The screens will protect it a lot, but obviously not 100% so I need to use some kind of Marine finish. What do they use on Mahogany boats? Is that what I should use on the floor? Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Bruno of NH

I would go with a Sikkens type product they have one for that type of flooring
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Larry

A lot of marine finishes, especially varnish, are made to be flexible.  Flexible means somewhat soft and unsuitable for flooring.

I don't have any experience with your requirements so not sure what I would use.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

DeerMeadowFarm

After much reading and research, I decided to go with Waterlox Marine finish. We'll see how it goes....

Crusarius

DeerMeadowFarm

So I worked on the porch floor last week and over the long weekend. I took Thursday off and rented a sander. This is the floor before. Kind of hard to see but it's pretty gray and weathered:

This is how it looked sanded:

This is the sealer (part 1 of the Waterlox finish system). It called for one coat with hardwood and two for softwood. In retrospect I should have done two. Mahogany is a weird hardwood; it's not really the same hardness from board to board or even within the same board in my experience. Some areas soaked up more than others.

Here it is with the last coat of the gloss finish. This is part two of the system. The first coat had me scared because it dried kinda blotchy, but I think that was due to the previous step (sealer) soaking in at different rates. Pretty happy with it now. Hopefully the dogs won't tear it up too soon!

Next weekend I hope to install the Tigerwire screens. Can't wait to get this project done!

grouch

That's beautiful. Are rocking chairs allowed on that porch?
Find something to do that interests you.

Stoneyacrefarm

Looks great Deermeadow.
X2 on rocking chairs for the porch.  :)
Work hard. Be rewarded.

DeerMeadowFarm

Going to install the screens this weekend. More photos to follow!

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

PA_Walnut

Waterlox is most excellent and I use it on ALL of my wood floors: easy to apply, lovely finish and easy to repair since tung oil amalgamates when reapplied. (ask me how I know?...clue: dogs)  :-[

Great stuff!
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

DeerMeadowFarm

Well, I got most of it done this weekend thanks to my buddy who gave me a hand. Took us about 8 hours on Saturday. The end of the porch is not done. Those were the first two panels we tried since they were the "easiest" but the vendor made them too wide. The opening is 83.25" and his cut sheet showed each panel to be 42.125"; that wouldn't have worked even without deducting for the track on each side and the "H" connector in the middle! Anyway, here are the photos:

Crusarius

that looks really good. But the floor is still to shiny to be dry?

DeerMeadowFarm

It's dry. I used their gloss finish. I like it a lot.

Crusarius

I really want to see what it looks like after a year. I really like it but Wonder how it will hold up to traffic and weather.

DeerMeadowFarm

We'll see I guess. It's a Marine finish so weather probably won't be terrible on it. Screens will keep a lot of the snow off and some rain. I'm more worried about the dogs.

samandothers

What type screening did you use? Looks good and tight.

DeerMeadowFarm

Quote from: samandothers on September 11, 2017, 09:07:25 AM
What type screening did you use? Looks good and tight.

Tiger Wire. Pet proof, cut proof. Can be used (like we did) without railings. Will take a 300 pound load without coming out of the frame/tracks. It's a complete system. We wanted to eliminate the railings since they always seem to block your view. This screen is the only option we found where we could do that. It's actually a coated stainless steel wire. Very tough.

Crusarius

That would be nice to fill in below a normal handrail.

reelman65

i love your view! coffee in the morning would be great there.
75 Acres of hardwoods that i want to try to optimize for HW growth, health and habitat. Also interested in creating a few small stands of fruit/nut trees and sample of different native species

samandothers

Thanks for the additional detail.  I need to replace our old screen porch screen and was looking for ideas.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

samandothers

@DeerMeadowFarm how is the Waterlox finish holding up on the deck?

DeerMeadowFarm

Quote from: samandothers on September 13, 2018, 12:21:52 PM
@DeerMeadowFarm how is the Waterlox finish holding up on the deck?
So far so good! We've gotten some scratches on it but my wife uses some floor cleaner/polish stuff and the marks disappear. Screening that porch in was one of the best things we've ever done. I would bet that we watched a total of 2 hours of TV all summer. Every night we'd just go sit on the porch. We finally (not like waiting until the season is almost over...) ordered some furniture. We got an "L-shaped" sectional with two ottomans. The couches are long enough for me to stretch out and nap on! We'd like to get a small pub-style table out there as well to eat and play cards at night on. I'll add pictures when the set comes in.

samandothers

@DeerMeadowFarm 
Well its been another year.  Inquiring minds and all, how is the finish holding up?
Did you have a code inspection when you built that the Tigerwire passed as fall protection?

Hope you enjoyed a full summer of the porch!

Thank You Sponsors!