iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Your Favorite Type of Wood to Burn?

Started by PartTimeJack, May 16, 2012, 11:34:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

downeast

Got a deadly case of O.E. ( Oak Envy  :( ). There's little high BTU wood along this Downeast coast so you "dance with the one who brung 'ya ".

When we closed on this woodlot in the 90's it was 80% "doghair spruce and fir", mixed with Red/Soft Maple and Paper Birch, few Apples, some Green Ash, and little Red Oak. Most of the firewood since has been Birch and Maple, saving the rare dead standing oaks for serious cold spells. With good woodland management the apples, oaks, ashes, and White Pines are finally getting growth.

*DanG, I'd die to have those oaks, hickories, beech, or hedges to burn. Our tiny Beeches die well before maturity.

JakeLeg

Hedge for me too. Almost all we burn like to mix it with locust,ash or hackberry.

Cypressstump

I became really fond of Pinion while living in the southwest. It's a pine of sorts, brushy, twisted grain usually, saps like crazy when the live bark is damaged, those sap balls make excellent fire starter even in wet snowing conditions, always keep a few in the backpack. The fragrant smell is something to behold in my opinion. Puts out a lot of heat, burns well, not a lot of ash, and lasts decently long Unlike normal pines, people use the Pinion for home heating firewood with great results and very little soot buildup due to the extreme heat it generates..

But down here in La. it's Oak I like best, red, water, white, any oak.
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

wheelinguy

My favorite type of wood to burn has been what we have used for the past six years since we put in our OWB, FREE!!! 8)

gspren

Ive got about 30 acres of mixed oak and poplar and some wooded pasture that is mostly cherry and locust and in 26 years Ive never needed to cut a healthy tree just for fire wood, last years cutting was almost entirely cherry and locust. I recently paint marked 6 dead oaks to come down when it gets cooler. My favorite trees are the ones that fall all the way down without hanging up!
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Roxie

We were grocery shopping at the Amish store on Saturday, and the owner of the store wrapped our ice cream carton in an old newspaper.  It was an Amish newspaper called the Die Botschaft and dated Dec 1, 2008.  It had the words to a song inside:

Beech wood fires are bright and clear
If the logs are kept one year
Chestnuts only good they say
If for long it's laid away
Birch and fire logs burn too fast
Blaze up bright and do not last
Elm wood burns like a church yard mould
Even the very flames are cold
Poplar gives a bitter smoke
Fills your eyes and makes you choke
Apple wood will scent your room
Will give an incense like perfume
Oak and Maple if dry and old
Keeps away the winter cold
But, Ash wood wet and Ash wood dry
A King shall warm his slippers by

Say when

doctorb

My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

WDH

There are a lot of people that will be burning ash this winter thanks to that little bug :'(.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mrcaptainbob

I have yet to run across a wood that this burner will not eat. As for willow, I do have a supply of that. It's great to restart warm coals. Amazing how it flashes. Like paper. Good to start the 'real' wood. I believe I might try a whole stove full of willow this coming winter to see how it lasts. I suspect a hot flame like that might get the water up faster and the stove shuts down sooner. We'll see....

thecfarm

I saw a bunch of weeping willow,I suppose one tree, at the dump. I have plenty of wood,but thought there's some wood for a OWB. It was a big one too,like most are. The wife rook a branch off from her son's tree and wants one here. She grew up with one and it brings back a lot of memories for her. I have a place all ready for it. Never have burned it or cut one down.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

doctorb

Plant it in moist rather than dry ground.  They love that.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Thank You Sponsors!