iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blade Breakage……a head scratcher???

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, March 03, 2014, 04:49:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

OK, you are right.  That was before we stacked those 6/4 pecan slabs that were 24" wide  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on March 06, 2014, 09:51:59 PM
OK, you are right.  That was before we stacked those 6/4 pecan slabs that were 24" wide  :)

That's OK....got my second wind.....ready to go again.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Okrafarmer

I've been breaking a lot of resharpened blades lately-- often with them not even in the wood. I bought a new box of blades which I will start in on when the engine gets up and going. Ordered a carburetor for it that should be here tomorrow. Angel will probably get it installed for me while I'm gone down to the disaster fields. I have a lot of custom milling work stacked up ready to go for when the sawmill and I are both ready at the same time.  :-\

I've always kept my worst blades for cedar just because a blade will still cut cedar long after it won't cut anything else.  But my blades are breaking in all kinds of wood and out of the log completely.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

boscojmb

I have the same problem, but no answer. I have tried new blades, resharpened blades. I have used diesel, water, and water with soap as a lubricant. All with the same result. ERC breaks blades. I even tried pressure washing the logs to make sure they where debris free and had a sufficent moisture content. My blades do not get hot, they just go bang ( in several pieces, without warning). Folks from the south seem to be able to mill ERC without a problem but up north it is "evil"
Thanks,
John B.
John B.

Log-Master LM4

Chuck White

I have milled around 750-800bf of ERC and used one blade for all of it!

All I used for lube/coolant was just water with a little soap in it!  :-\
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

GAB

drobertson:
I'm in the same club as MM as I broke 6 brand new blades in the weld that were fresh out of the box in one day.  As an additional insult I hit metal with the next 2.  Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

two-legged-sawmill

Poston, tell them how you get Dry Poplar? Saw them into "Cants" and let dry-up. Sawing any kind of wood that is bone dry changes the Technique!
"There are no secrets to success. It is the results of preperation, hard work, and learning from failures"

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I sawed the last of a Cedar job on Saturday. After sawing 350 BF of Cedar....I broke another blade.
Finished the job with a new re-sharp.

I got to checking the blades that I had broke during this Cedar run.
I took the broke blade and laid in on top of a new blade.......these broke blades had been sharpened a BUNCH of times.
So to wind my question up of why my blades were breaking......I am contributing it to heat along with blades life.
These blades have been good to me over the last year and I guess it was just their time to break.

I started this beautiful 60° day sawing Pine....1130BF. I used 1 new blade to saw 900 bf, then I hit nails.  :D

My point is, it felt good to mill without the breakage I went through last week.
I'll have a lot of new blades coming when I send the broke blades to Georgia.

Magicman

David, it could be that if most of your blade stock was of the same vintage, then that could be your answer.  That coupled with the fact that ERC is tough on blades and the non-lube situation.  Maybe kinda like your "stars aligning". 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on March 10, 2014, 08:12:54 PM
David, it could be that if most of your blade stock was of the same vintage, then that could be your answer.  That coupled with the fact that ERC is tough on blades and the non-lube situation.  Maybe kinda like your "stars aligning".

I think we think a like on this thought I think, you think?  :)

Magicman

Oh, that is scary....for one of us anyway.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Peter Drouin on March 10, 2014, 09:13:11 PM
smiley_curtain_peek

I would hide too.....anytime Magic uses the word scary in a reply.  :D

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

WDH

It looks just like him, especially the buck teeth. 

Dave Shepard

WM bands have serial numbers. You could see if all the broken ones are of the same vintage.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

36 coupe

I think that deep scratches in the gullet start the cracks.Cant prove it but some photos show deep grooves on the backs of teeth and in gullets.You have to wonder what started those cracks.I had a Wood mizer blade break after 2 trips down the log.I did touch the end of the log when backing up.Forgot to raise up one click when backing up.A blacksmith will nick  a steel bar on a hardy and break the bar at the nick.You will see taps with a groove ground high on the shank.This will make the tap break at the groove instead flush with the item being tapped.

delvis

I've watched the difference on the blade tension gauge when sawing with or without the lube on.  I can see the tension slack off halfway through the log because the blade is getting warm and stretching a bit when there is no lube.  Turn the lube on and actually see the tension on the gauge climb back to where it was set.   
If I never saw another board I will at least die happy having spent the last few years working with my dad!

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

drobertson

Not much on doubting the doubters ;D but I too have seen swell ends heat up the log, with a good sharp blade,
I mentioned earlier, that I always use lube, and I meant that it is on the ready, I use it but at times where pitch is not present I cut it off for a few runs through the log, I guess it is a feel thing, kinda like passing someone without hitting  passing gear, no need if all is good ;D  This said lube is a critical factor in any cutting action, it just makes cents. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!