iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Band Saw Tooth Set?

Started by dgdrls, April 01, 2014, 09:49:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgdrls

Question:

What is the "average" tooth set for a band blade??  I have read a good starting point is use the band thickness.

So if I understand on an .045 band you would have a total kerf of .18  (.09 twice)

Stems from over-thinking an example I found on recovery rates using cubic meters and % recovered that I compared  to Scribner, Int. and Doyle scale.

Thanks,

DGDrls

barbender

Usually around .018" to .025" per side, if I remember correctly. .045+.025+.025=.095, I know actual kerf is a bit more than that, though.
Too many irons in the fire

Chuck White

I usually set mine at .025, which comes out to .095 as stated by barbender!

If I have a lot of pine to cut, I will set them at .030 which is the same as .045 (blade thickness) + .030L + .030R = .105 kerf.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

bandmiller2

I also run between .025 and .030 sometimes you can get by with a little less if a band is cutting well in the logs your milling. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

dgdrls

Quote from: Chuck White on April 01, 2014, 11:32:56 PM
I usually set mine at .025, which comes out to .095 as stated by barbender!

If I have a lot of pine to cut, I will set them at .030 which is the same as .045 (blade thickness) + .030L + .030R = .105 kerf.

Got it,
Thanks gentlemen,

DGDrls

Chuck White

Quote from: dgdrls on April 01, 2014, 09:49:30 PM

Question:

What is the "average" tooth set for a band blade??  I have read a good starting point is use the band thickness.

So if I understand on an .045 band you would have a total kerf of .18  (.09 twice)

Stems from over-thinking an example I found on recovery rates using cubic meters and % recovered that I compared  to Scribner, Int. and Doyle scale.

Thanks,

DGDrls

Dan; I read your opening post again.

In your example, if you were looking for a kerf of .18,  you would have a blade thickness of .045, leaving .135 for total set, divided by 2 (left & right), so your set would be .067 each way, for a total kerf of .179.

That would be some horendous set!  :o

I do understand it was for example only.  ;)

So blade thickness + set left + set right = kerf.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

barbender

Also, the actual kerf seems to be more than the measured kerf in my experience.
Too many irons in the fire

bandmiller2

Bender is right, I usally figure 1/8" for band kerf, circular mills are the same always a little more than the width of the bit. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!