iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone know anything about hickory burls?

Started by hunz, October 29, 2014, 01:31:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hunz

So I was out scouting for some deer sign on the farm, and came across a hickory burl. I have seen a ton white oak and red maple burls out here but this is definitely the first hickory. Anyone know if this thing is worth harvesting? ???  I threw my hat on a neighboring sapling for size reference

Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

hunz

Well I figure one of two things are happening here. Either A, no one knows anything about hickory burl, or B, you found out this stuff is as rare as hens teeth, and are on your way over to my place to knock me upside the head to take down my tree. I just got off the phone with a custom billiard cue maker who said I have something extremely rare on my hands.

So now my question. How do I go about sawing this thing? Does it matter which way I set the burl on the mill, or is it viewed from strictly a yield standpoint? I was told that 1.5"x1.5"x18" is preferred with 1.5"x1.5"x12" being second in demand for cue shaft turning blanks. He said my finished dimension needs to be 1.5x1.5........what size would you rough cut it green, to get that as a finished dimension dried? I want to have as little waste a possible with each blank 18" going for near $100 or more.

mesquite buckeye

It is going to go crazy when you dry it. Cut it bigger than you need, both width and length. Try to restrain the movement when you dry it.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

beenthere

Likely you are just going to need to go ahead and cut it up into blanks that can be dried, and then you can assess the potential grade with some trimming needed to cut out defect.
You won't tell much about where the quality is until you get it cut down to where you can see the wood grain pattern. There may be nothing usable at all, but lets hope there is.

Doubt anyone has a crystal ball that knows just what is inside. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mikeb1079

that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

Magicman

Just as a matter of principal, if a sale results from information gained here on the FF, even though it was not listed in the "For Sale" board, I would think that a 5% commission would be in order to the FF.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

blade69001

Quote from: Magicman on October 30, 2014, 08:35:26 AM
Just as a matter of principal, if a sale results from information gained here on the FF, even though it was not listed in the "For Sale" board, I would think that a 5% commission would be in order to the FF.   :)
Not sure I would agree with this, is there something I missed in the "Terms of service?" What exact principle are we referring to Magicman?
If someone on from FF purchased it as a result of original post then I would be more inclined to agree, but if he sells it to a pool cue maker as he has already talked to them, then how does FF come into play?
Sean P.

Just being me, But it is ok you do not have to like me.

Magicman

My statement was my opinion and the principal was mine.  It was my sense of integrity and I should have stated that.

I personally could not in good conscious buy or sell anything to a FF member without paying a commission, simply because that sale could not have taken place without the FF.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

blade69001

Quote from: Magicman on October 30, 2014, 01:57:37 PM

I personally could not in good conscious buy or sell anything to a FF member without paying a commission, simply because that sale could not have taken place without the FF.

This I agree with I just did not see where a sale to someone outside of FF should result in a Commission to FF. That was why I wanted to make sure I did not miss something.
Thank you for your reply Magicman
Just being me, But it is ok you do not have to like me.

hunz

No worries fellas, if a sale does take place through means of the forum, you better bet the commission will be headed Jeff's way! The FF has been an absolutely invaluable place to learn most of what I know about wood and my mill. I did PM Qbilder....we'll see what comes of it. I will keep this thread up to date with pics of the burl harvest and milling.

5quarter

Honest Hunz...I was just coming by for a cup of joe. that chainsaw in the back of my truck isn't even mine...
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Thank You Sponsors!