iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Green Lumber

Started by stumpy, October 24, 2005, 09:55:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stumpy

My nephew,  who is a Carpenter foreman, sked me a question about lumber. He figured since I have a sawmill, I must be an expert. He was in Hartford CT. and he went to a Home Depot to buy 2x4's. He found that they sold "green" lumber. He asked if I had ever heard of building with Green lumber. He said the label actually said "green" on it and they were very heavy(no they weren't pressure treated, that was my first question). Have any of you ever seen this before?
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

SAW MILLER

If you do a search on green lumber ,you will find a lot of yuppies talking about lumber that has been harvested in a way as not to harm "mother earth " and they call that green lumber as near as I can figger.That might be what he was looking at. ??? ???
LT 40 woodmizer..Massey ferg.240 walker gyp and a canthook

Rockn H

Lately, when I hear green lumber mentioned they are referring to reclaimed lumber.  I suppose the green comes from recycling wood and not cutting new trees ,there by keeping things green. ::)  I do know it seems to be the environmental rage right now.  Politically correct if you will.

Ernie

Sounds like a great way to market RS pine straight off the mill. ;D ;D
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

stumpy

I'm pretty sure it's not the environmental "Green". He said it was very heavy .

IL Bull

If the wood is not stickered it will mold if the wood is "green".
Case Skid Steer,  Ford Backhoe,  Allis WD45 and Burg Manual Sawmill

Tom

I tried to get my buddy who owned the Ace Hardware in town to sell "green" lumber.   He wouldn't do it.  I figured that these backyard cabinet makers would buy from him the same as they tried to buy from me.   He's not much of one to experiment.

Perhaps you have a local sawmill that saw a new market.

Ron Wenrich

The reason it wouldn't be green lumber is because of the liability problems with bugs.  Kilning lumber will kill bugs.  Selling it green could spread bugs to places you don't want them.  Even export pallets need to be kilned.

I like the environmental answer.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

WeeksvilleWoodWorx

Actually Ron, don't pallets/pallet components only need to be heat treated, not necessarily kiln dried?

Brian
Brian - 2004 LT40HDG28 owner.

Ron Wenrich

That's about all some of the kiln dried lumber has.   ;D   Doesn't a SD stamp mean skin dried?  It heats the lumber up to a certain temperature, which kills the bugs, but doesn't necessarily dry the lumber.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

AtLast

140 degrees for at least 3 hours

stumpy

Has anyone seen green lumber at Home Depot or any lumber yard? I realy don't think they meant Environmental Green. He said it was as heavy as preasure treated.

whitey

Stumpy       My guess would be the Green pressure treated lumber we use in constuction It's heavy and it's wet drive a nail and the water flys we call it pond dried . thats as close to green lumber you can get at a box store . unless enviro safe (Green) my 25cents anyway.
you  don't have to be crazy to cut juniper but it sure helps !

Don P

I found this description in the Canadian Wood Council span book,

S-DRY indicates that the lumber had a moisture content of 19% or less at the time of surfacing. S-GRN had a moisture content exceeding 19% at time of surfacing.

Last week I noticed a S-DRY stamp and a KD 19% HT stamp on the same boards.

I've never seen green dimensional lumber sold at the building supply although I can get green (above 19%) timbers from some building supplies. We did get a load of KD stamped lumber last month that was soaking wet and growing hair, I spent a couple of hours cloroxing and stickering. 19% doesn't last long sitting dead piled in the weather.

Jeff

I plan on visiting the home depot next day or two to look. Seems like I recall something called green lumber as well but I am almost sure it was an enviro type tag...
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Husky

You want to use hemlock green otherwise you will never get a nail through it. The older and dryer it gets the harder it gets.

wiam

You can not pull them very well after hemlock dries. ::)

Will

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Husky on October 26, 2005, 04:07:16 PM
You want to use hemlock green otherwise you will never get a nail through it. The older and dryer it gets the harder it gets.

Quote from: wiam on October 26, 2005, 09:41:10 PM
You can not pull them very well after hemlock dries. ::)

Will

I've experienced the exact same things.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!