iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

"The Profitable Operation of Small Sawmills" workshop June 11

Started by WV Sawmiller, May 29, 2015, 08:31:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

All,

Passing along some info I got from WM in case you are not on their mailing list.

Subject workshop is being presented June 11 just off exit 14 (Athens/Concord University Exit) off I-77 near Princeton WV. Registration fee is $25 which includes a buffet lunch (sounds hard to beat). Details from the message includes below:

"sponsored by NC State University, Wood Education and Resource Center (WERC), Independent Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine and combines a great networking opportunity with both classroom and outdoor educational opportunities.

The workshop focuses on these areas:

Small sawmills and shops powered with diesel and gas engines, and single phase power How to saw for grade and an introduction to the hardwood lumber grading system How to properly dry lumber, including solar dry kilns How to set up a business that can make value-added products like cabinets, furniture and millwork How to make money with a small sawmill operation Preventing stain and other forms of degrade that lose money Reports from successful small sawmill operators Demonstrations will include: Portable Sawmill, Board Edger, Band Resaw

Date and Time:
Small Sawmills Workshop
Thurs. June 11, 2015
9am-5pm Location:
Wood Education & Resource Center
Princeton, WV
Phone: 704.880.5034   

For more information please contact
Phil Mitchell 
Phone: 919.515.5581
Email: phil_mitchell@ncsu.edu"

Anybody in or close to southern WV or SW Virginia or passing through should consider checking out this opportunity. See you there.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Tom the Sawyer

It's too bad that these programs are not recorded on video.  There are probably hundreds of small sawmill operators that could learn a lot from these presentations - even without the lunch.

It would be 900 miles, and two days drive, each way for me (and I was there last week).  I'd certainly be willing to pay for a DVD.

07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

WV Sawmiller

Tom,

I asked the workshop POC about a DVD and he said if the instructor  uses slides (not all instructors apparently use slides) he will try to post them on line a few weeks after the event. If so I'll pass along the link.

Good suggestion.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Nomad

I'm with Tom.  I can't make it up there for that, but I'd be more than willing to buy a DVD of that class!  Next time around they might oughta consider that.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Verticaltrx

Thanks for passing that along, I'm only about 65mi from Princeton, WV. If I can find the time I'd like to make it up there.
Wood-Mizer LT15G19

plowboyswr

Quote from: Tom the Sawyer on May 29, 2015, 11:39:54 AM
It's too bad that these programs are not recorded on video.  There are probably hundreds of small sawmill operators that could learn a lot from these presentations - even without the lunch.

It would be 900 miles, and two days drive, each way for me (and I was there last week).  I'd certainly be willing to pay for a DVD.

X2 minus the being there last week.
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

bkaimwood

bk

MartyParsons

I will be there helping with this. I have it posted in shows but some how the date is incorrect on the FF calender.
I will ask Harry Watt if he can do a video of the class.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Kipper

LT40HD, Cat Diesel
New Holland L783
Kubota BX23
Metavic 1400XL
2016 Dodge 3500
2007 Dodge 3500 (Dump)
Belsaw 802 Edger
Too many trailers to count and all Stihl Saws!!

WV Sawmiller

Marty,

I look forward to meeting you there. I asked Harry and I'll repeat - if there is anything I can do to help please let me know.
Howard Green

Sawmill Woman

Are there any more of these being held?  I can't get there on June 11th, but would love to go!
Wealth gotten by vanity shall be diminished: but he that gathereth by labour shall increase. --Proverbs 13:11

WV Sawmiller

Sawmill Woman,

I'll ask on Thursday and suggest they popst to this forum in the future. I just got the notice from WM. Marty Parsons is coming to help so he may post to the WM site/scheduled events. I just passed this along at moderator's request and in case you guys didn't get the info from other sources.
Howard Green

MAI

I've had a few email conversations with Harry regarding the upcoming workshop.   They are going to cover a lot of information that will benefit all.   
Have a great workshop!

MartyParsons

Hi-

Here is a message I received today about the work shop. I think there are 47 registered. They can handle 75.

Profitable Small Sawmill Workshop at the Wood Education and Resource Center at Princeton, WV for Thursday, June 11th, 2015.

Here are some details:

1-we open the doors of the WERC at 8 am for registration, coffee, donunts and networking.  We start the first session in the lecture room at 9 am.

2-the WERC is located at 301 Hardwood Lane, Princeton, WV 24740.  It is located in the NW corner of Exit 14 on I-77.  This is 14 miles north of the WV/VA border and the tunnel at Bluefield.  At Exit 14 you go west about 1/3 mile, then turn right = north, go about 1/3 mile and once past the church on the right, you go straight onto Hardwood Lane.  Park on the left in the main parking lot in front of the WERC.

3-we will have Marty Parsons of PA Wood-Mizer at the workshop to discuss small sawmill equipment issues as well as give demos sawing logs and edging boards.  He will be available during lunch and in the afternoon to give demos.

4-attached is the workshop agenda.  We have the buffet lunch at noon in the main building.  We will have coffee in the lecture building as well as the main building.

5-we will have safety glasses and ear plugs available when Marty Parsons has equipment running and you are required to use them if you are in the area of the equipment.  Upon leaving please leave us the safety glasses as we can reuse them at our next event.

6-upon leaving the WERC please leave us the plastic name badge holder as we can use them at our next event.

Leader Topic/Activities

Before 9 am Registration Networking, coffee, donuts, outdoor equipment viewing

9 to 9:50 am-Session 1

Harry Watt Profitable small sawmill businesses operations-strategy,
business planning, business configuration, financing,
estimating production costs.

9:50 to 10 am Break

10 to 10:50 am-Session 2

Joe Denig Marketing for small sawmill operations-products,customers, pricing,

Break 10:50 to 11:00 am   

11 am to noon-Session 3

Marty Parsons Sawing equipment options-sawmills, edgers, resaws

Lunch Lunch Lunch-outdoor demos-show and tell

1:00 to 2:00 pm-  Session 4

Joe Denig Lumber drying systems-conventional, dehumidification,
solar kilns, avoiding degrade and stain, stacking methods

2:00 to 2:10 pm- Break

2:10 pm to 3:00  pm-Session 5

Joe Denig, Harry Watt, Marty Parsons

Basics of log and lumber scaling and grades, examples of
small sawmill businesses

3:00 to 4:30 pm-Outdoor demos

Marty Parsons sawmill,
Neil Bennett-logs Show and tell demos-sawmill, edger, scaling logs, log
grading, lumber grading, dehumidification dry kiln
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Tom the Sawyer

Following up on this workshop.

Did anyone on the Forum attend the Small Sawmill workshop and, if so, what did you think?  Best topics/discussions, attendance, value to your operation, etc.?

Thanks for your feedback,

Tom
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.

WV Sawmiller

Tom,

We had a full house with 50 attendees. If you asked all of us you'd probably get 50 different answers as to what was the most valuable lesson learned. Probably the networking was actually the most important.

Harry Watt, the instructor from NC State, stressed the fact to be profitable we needed to be able to sell all our products at a profit (Slabs, sawdust and lumber). Sawing for grade and marketing lumber by grade was covered and stressed. Keeping track of costs at all times is important and keeping expenses down by reducing storage and handling is critical. Where possible saw and load directly on to the customer trailer or truck to prevent double handling. Looking for and finding niche markets was addressed. One attendee saws thick slabs for a specialty woodworking market. Another sawed for specialty shutters, etc.

Drying lumber was discussed with the pros and cons of different kilns with a couple different designs available on site to view during the breaks for those interested.

Marty Parsons from WM PA was there with his super hydraulic LT40. Marty stressed the need for speed and demonstrated why we need to cut faster and showed the difference with band marks when you sawed the same log at different speeds. Marty impressed me with his skill and experience using the mill. One trick I had not seen done was to make several cuts on the same log leaving the flitches or cants on top of the log then tilting the log with the hydraulic clamp to dump the slabs/flitches/cant on to the partially raised loading arms being used for temporary storage. Doing this reduced the handling and you did not have to stop cutting as often while processing a log. I will admit Marty's hydraulics are much more robust than mine and I can't do the same thing as effectively as he did but there are times it will work for me to (such as when cutting heavy cants which will slide off better when tilted).

Marty was sawing tulip poplar with an offset pith and showed the effects of stress and how to keep turning the log to make small trim cuts to reduce the stress effects and cut straighter lumber. He also stressed boxing the heart and had a real pretty 4X4 at the end of his demo. Marty was using a single blade edger and I think if I was stationary I'd want one to improve the quality of my edging and maximize the return. Since my goal is mobile sawing of client lumber and often by myself or with new inexperienced help the edger doesn't fit into my sawing plan at this time. One tip I saw was about saving more lumber off the sides. I've been guilty of sawing a thick slab where there is more taper when in fact, on a longer log, I really could get a good 1X4 or 1X6 out of that slab. (Example: Cutting a 12-16' log with taper will often give you an extra 8-10' board off each side if you take the time to salvage it.) I made sure to do this on my last cutting job and will continue to do so in the future.

There were lots of handouts and it was good to hear different techniques. One local sawyer advised they store their 2X stock on its side to help prevent bowing.

I am sure everyone went there with certain gaps in their knowledge they wanted to help fill and I think they did a very good job of providing help to do so. we had couples there who had recently retired and were interested in the advantages of different kinds of mills over others. We could really have likely stayed a week and still not covered everything we liked but for the time allotted they did a good job.

I have not received any of the slides used yet for the demo. If I get them I will try to post the site where they can be found.

Hope that helps answer your question.
Howard Green

Magicman

Thanks for that nice writeup.  That in itself will help someone.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tom the Sawyer

WV,

That was a great write up, and good support for encouraging the sponsors of the program to make it available on a wider scale, either through webcasting or on a DVD.  I think it is an annual program, hopefully I can see it or make it back there sometime soon.

Thank You Sponsors!