iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

how do you shave

Started by bigred1951, September 01, 2014, 11:55:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigred1951

anybody on here still use the old safety razor or straight razor? 9 times out of 10 i just use my electric beard trimmer because i dont worry about how close of shave i get. But every once in a blue moon ill pull out my grandpas old Gillette safety razor and lather up and  shave. Its quiet an experience especially for the first time :o

Texas Ranger

Braver man than I, Gunga Din, I did use grandpa's once, for about two strokes.  Stopped the bleeding,  smiley_ignore waited a few days, and shaved regular.  Use a Fusion now, much nicer.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

celliott

I don't  ;D

I do shave my neck every now and then, usually when I trim my beard. Use a regular disposable razor.

Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

LeeB

I started off with a safety razor and later went to the Gillette single blade and stayed with them through the multiple blade additions up to the 5 bladed one. Switched to an electric razor for quite some time, quit shaving for several years and then went back to the gillettes. I now use the three blades because I find the 5 bladers clog to easy and cost to much for little or no improvement. I would grow a beard again if I could but have to shave for work.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: celliott on September 01, 2014, 12:53:18 PM
I don't  ;D

I do shave my neck every now and then, usually when I trim my beard. Use a regular disposable razor.

Celliott.....I gots to ask......a life vest, flotation device......Where's the water?  say_what
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

LaneC

Old time straight/cut throat. They produce an awesome shave. I used to shave every other day with them (they cut that close) but my back kills me so now I shave inside the beard and neck etc. There is a steep learning curve that you will go through. 2 things that I can tell you that will save you some blood is 1DO NOT GET IN A HURRY and 2-Let your wife know when you are shaving. If they holler at you or sling the door open when you are shaving, you will pay for it in blood hahahah. There are more things that go along with it like stropping, honing etc. Anywho, I would suggest it to anyone. It is really worth it and it is an amazing shave. If anything ever happens and you run out of razors and cannot get any more what will you do? The wives can also use them and everyone can be clean shaven.
Man makes plans and God smiles

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

LaneC

I also forgot to mention about how many millions of razors and plastic are thrown away every year.(Don't throw anything, I am just saying hahaha) I read one time how many and I was shocked, especially at the amount of disposable ones. I can use 1 razor for years and years.

Magicman

I use a Remington Electric and grind um off.....sorta.   ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

LaneC

MM, I used to use those also. They are quick and rip em right off ;D . I saw a picture once of the stubble in a microscope of an electric shaver and one smoothly cut with a razor, and it is very clear how it basically shreds the hair. If you have never had the chance to get a shave with a straight, I highly recommend it. Depending on your face, you may not have to shave for 2 to 3 days.

beenthere

Lane

Quoteyou may not have to shave for 2 to 3 days.

Takes longer than that to heal   ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

LaneC

beenthere  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D. Maybe that is why it lasts 2-3 days :D :D :D :D :D :D

sandhills

I think we should send one with Poston to the beard challenge contest  ;D, he can judge'm n cut um!

Magicman

Heck no,  ::) he would shave his legs with it.  :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

redprospector

I generally use a shard of broken glass.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

gspren

Somebody, not me, should be shaving with an axe!
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on September 01, 2014, 01:34:17 PM
I use a Remington Electric and grind um off.....sorta.   ::)

Saw 'em and leave 'em.  :D :D :D

yukon cornelius

I don't! I had to be clean shaved for my job for 15 years and for the last 3 years I have been letting it hang. I do clip both of the hairs on the top of my head though.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Dave Shepard

I use a two blade cartridge. Anything more, and it's like shaving two or three times with every stroke. I have straight razors, and have tried them, but haven't taken the time to get the hang of it. I often go a week or two, then trim it with a beard trimmer then finish the the cartridge. I've spent plenty of money on electrics, but haven't found one that would actually cut anything at all. There is a big forum about "wet shaving" called badger and blade. I haven't been there in a long time, however.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

clww

I have shaved zero times since 21 June 2012. Today marks two years since I retired. :) After 26 years of required shaving and haircuts, it is one of the things I miss the least. ;)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: clww on September 01, 2014, 08:24:38 PM
I have shaved zero times since 21 June 2012. Today marks two years since I retired. :) After 26 years of required shaving and haircuts, it is one of the things I miss the least. ;)

Bet you look like "BIG FOOT".  :D :D :D

Magicman

He don't shave his FOOT  ???   :o

mad murdock

I use a clamshell safety razor. Talk about shaving on the cheep! Mug soap is about a buck a puck, and a brush lasts me over a year sometimes 2. I used to use electric, but the safety razor is almost as good as a straight. Would like to get one, but good straight razors cost a few bucks, unless I can find one at a garage sale for a good deal. I do the same shave pattern with the safety as you would with a straight blade, lather up, shave all down, then lather up again and go in for the "close shave" against the grain. Way smoother than any electric and will last easily 2 days, plus I can do it quick. Mug soap is the best. I like it better than any shave cream in a can. I use Williams. 
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Thank You Sponsors!