iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to lay out stair treads?

Started by LeeB, November 23, 2010, 08:29:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeB

Somebody help me out here. I've forgotten how to lay out a stair riser.  ???
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

D Hagens

I guess it all depends on your local laws. Out my way it's 7inch rise and 11inch run. Use a square with stair gauges on it and the job flies by. :)

Radar67

"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

woodmills1

ifin ya doesnt get the info pm to me I will call an help
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Planman1954

Grab a tape and a piece of paper. To start, measure from one finish floor line to the one above. Be sure to add in for any flooring rise (Tile, etc.). Divide that number by 7.5". That will give you the number of steps. If it is a number between whole numbers, take a little bit away from the 7.5", say 7.25", or add a little, say 7.75" until you get near a whole number. Then take your paper and draw a side view of your steps with the complete number of steps in it. This gives you a visual of the actual cuts you are about to make. Also on your drawing, you can draw on the stair treads. This serves to get the correct dimensions since the bottom step will be cut a little shallower than all the others due to the tread sitting on the top of the first cut step. Finally take into accout the top step connection to the second floor. I always do a complete drawing of the stringer with the treads and upper connection with all the dimensions.  Most stringers are cut from a 2x12. I use 1 1/2" treads, although some cut a center stringer and use 3/4" treads. Also the length of the treads should be about 11". If you are going to add 3/4" stock over the rough framing, allow for the overhang. In other words, the rough framed tread may only be 10" since the finish treads will overhang 1" Good luck...and do the drawing!
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

LeeB

The math on this one is kinda tricky because the stairs are from the side of a new deck to the ground which slopes away at a fair angle. What is the avearage angle for the stringers. That will help me figure where the landing will be. I guess I should have asked about that first.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Hanson

It's been awhile since i layed out a set of stairs but I think its right around 35 deg.  Hanson

Radar67

Lee, I had the same issue with my front deck. On average, you should have 7 inches of rise to every 10 inches of run.

Measure from you deck down to the ground where your stairs will be. As stated earlier, divide that number by 7 to see how many treads you need for the 7 inch rise. use the number of treads and multiply by 10. Use a level line from the base of your deck and pull it out to the measurement your got. That is where your landing needs to go. If it is still too high off the ground, you will have to build another set of stairs down to the ground.

Clear, or clear as mud?  :)
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

DouginUtah

Not sure if this will help. It is more for a house layout. I wrote the program (available on my web site).

Important to note that Large fonts under Display | Settings | Advanced must be set to see the whole layout.

-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

northwoods1

the old guy that taught me said the 1st thing you need to do is figure out where you want the short step on the top or the bottom of the stairs :D

LeeB

Thanks for all the replies fellas. With everybodys help I managed to cifer it out. I went ahead and built a landing and got lucky. The rise was exctly 77 inches. No muss, no fuss on figuring and no short step.

Thank You Sponsors!